Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal (Indictment Post #144, "Pimping" Allegations Post #442)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
2233boys;4233345 said:
Mike and Mike addressed this topic this morning. How did McQuery and the janitor witness what they did and not at least yell stop it? Both walked away disgusted never tried to stop Sandusky, at least that was not said in the indictment.

In the Grand Jury report, the janitors said that they were all afraid of them being fired if Calhoun reported what he saw. I think McQuery thought the same thing.

It's kinda one of the issues when you let a football program become bigger than the University.

YR

joseephuss

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4233032 said:
..the last person i'd be upset with in this situation is Joe. He's the only one besides the grad assistant who even told the higher ups about it, even when he wasn't sure what exactly happened.

Yet most here are acting like Joe should face the most blame out of anyone, when his only real mistake was telling the wrong officials what was told to him.

That is a bunch of bull. No one here is saying Paterno is the most to blame. No one. You are making all of that drama up on your own. You are making him out to be some martyr. He's not. He had a part in all this, could have done more in most people's eyes and will end up losing his job over it. You don't lose your job when you do everything absolutely 100% the right way. And his punishment is nowhere near as bad as what others in this fiasco deserve and will probably get.

The more you defend Paterno the more the whole situation just ticks me off. Screw him.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4233354 said:
In the Grand Jury report, the janitors said that they were all afraid of them being fired if Calhoun reported what he saw. I think McQuery thought the same thing.

It's kinda one of the issues when you let a football program become bigger than the University.

YR

So McQueary thought he may have been fired at that time and now he may end up as interim head coach. Let a kid get molested, don't call the police and you shall be rewarded down the line. Amazing.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
joseephuss;4233361 said:
So McQueary thought he may have been fired at that time and now he may end up as interim head coach. Let a kid get molested, don't call the police and you shall be rewarded down the line. Amazing.

I'm not excusing what McQuery did. I'm just saying that is probably what he was thinking at the time. He also probably thought that he could trust Paterno to handle it. Afterwards, when it was apparent that it was not handled (notifying the 2nd Mile is not 'handling it'), I simply cannot excuse McQuery for that at all.

As far as stopping Sandusky while in the act, it sounds like McQuery saw him do it...Sandusky and the boy saw McQuery and they stopped and scurried off.

Personally, I'm not sure how I would have handled that part. Although I think I would have tried to stop the boy and then bring him to the police station and report what I saw. I might have informed my parents at the time what I was about to do.

That being said, I'm not so sure how mortified I would have been by witnessing the incident. However, McQuery had time to think about this and his best course of action...even after talking over it with his dad....was to just bring it up to Paterno and think that them reporting it to the 2nd Mile who never followed up with him....I just don't get that.

YR

JBond

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4229174 said:
This is possibly the worst thing that could happen to College Football. If this is true, it's a sad day indeed.

Wrong...This is the worst thing that can ever happen to little children. get your priorities strait.

ConcordCowboy;4229484 said:
I just read the whole Grand Jury Indictment of Sandusky.

WOW.

What a sick pig.

So many times there was a chance to catch this guy or put a stop to it.

People either ignored it...minimalized it...or tried to cover it up.

One of the few times we will agree on something 100%

ABQCOWBOY;4229609 said:
I don't think so. If Paterno steps down now, he will keep his legacy intact IMO. He can say that he reported it and nobody did anything about it. He can say that he took steps to end Sandusky's affiliation with PSU Football, which is true. If he continues on, then he is likely to get drug down as well but if he gets out now, I think he can still keep much of his legacy intact. JMO.

His legacy is similar to that of a bishop in the Catholic church. There is no freaking excuse. You report child rape to the police. You do not protect a POS like that just because he is your friend. ***?

Cajuncowboy;4229863 said:
Knowing Paterno (And I have had the opportunity to meet with him and spend a few hours one on one with him) this sounds like a more likely scenario with respect to Paterno. I am sure that had Paterno been made aware of the graphic nature of the abuse, he would have pursued it more vigorously.

I hate to disagree with a couple of posters I really like, but I must. Sandusky adopted four little kids and had numerous foster children. He was a predator and Joe Pa did next to nothing when presented with the evidence. I liked and respected Joe for how he conducted his business and ran his program. Turns out the guy is a POS that allowed a child rapist to continue to torture children. There is no freaking excuses allowed. I know that both of you would have done more than Joe Pa if you were made aware of a child rapist.

Dmoore Esq

Reaction score
joseephuss;4233361 said:

McQueary is never going to coach again. His life in football is over. He's taking more heat than Paterno.

Penn State needs to get the death penalty. There's more than enough blame to go around. Nobody in the football program or administration is coming through this looking like a hero, or even a decent human being.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Joe Paterno decides to retire...at end of season, per Associated Press.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
FOX29phillyFOX 29

by ChrisSteuber

BREAKING: Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has decided to retire at end of the season.

1 minute agoFavoriteRetweetReply

this was suppose to be twitter, can someone fix that for me, thanks

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Just put this in the PSU thread. The question is now, will he be allowed to coach the rest of the season.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
AdamSchefterAdam Schefter
AP reporting Joe Paterno will retire at end of season.

1 minute agoFavoriteRetweetReply

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Joe Realist;4233456 said:

Just got that alert on my iPhone.

Wow.

Stay away from Meyer. :p:

Aggie87

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4233381 said:
However, McQuery had time to think about this and his best course of action...even after talking over it with his dad....was to just bring it up to Paterno and think that them reporting it to the 2nd Mile who never followed up with him....I just don't get that.

Maybe his silence was paid for with the promise of a job and career in coaching at Penn State. He was only a grad assistant at the time, now he's a long time coach. And was silent that whole time?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dmoore Esq;4233455 said:
McQueary is never going to coach again. His life in football is over. He's taking more heat than Paterno.

Penn State needs to get the death penalty. There's more than enough blame to go around. Nobody in the football program or administration is coming through this looking like a hero, or even a decent human being.

Makes you wonder. If they were willing to cover up something like this, what else have they been covering up over the years.

I have always been a believer that no program is 100% clean. There are always some sort of recruiting violations or small gifts or payments occurring in any program. If you look hard enough you will probably find something with every team out there. What kind of other stuff was going on with Penn State? Anything else pales in comparison to covering up child molestation.

JBond

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4233016 said:
Agreed. Just like all the other PSU officials that knew about this.

The difference being, he had the least amount of information as to what exactly was going on than any of the rest of them. He was told about one incident, from a student, about some vague sexual activities.

Again, he went straight to university officials with the information, instead of law enforcement officials. That was his only mistake.

I just laugh at the people acting like he knew the whole time that Sandusky was a child raper and act like he was making arraingments for the guy or something.

He was warned repeatedly. Joe Pa did what was best for Joe Pa in the ultimate act of selfishness. I hope it eats at his soul the rest of his days.This thread is making me sick, defending the Joe Pa or the grad assistant is just foolish......nuf said before I get kicked out.

Hoofbite;4233035 said:
Sorry to be a little blunt but **** Joe Paterno's legacy.

But back to Paterno. His legacy can be smeared in dog **** for all I care. He doesn't deserve a legacy. I don't care if it were determined that he was the least responsible person in the matter, the fact that he's responsible at all is enough for his legacy to be buried ASAP.

How about the 9 (and counting) lives that are ****ed up because Paterno sat idly by and let this monster run free. Joe Paterno is as much an official at Penn State as the AD or any person he "reports" to. He should have been a human being and put a stop to it. If it were his son who was being molested, I wonder if he simply reports it to the officials. I don't care if this pedophile works / worked for Penn State or not, Paterno had a responsibility as a human to notify the police of his actions.

I didn't have much to say on the subject but after getting a couple pages through the document, this whole situation is just deplorable. This guy took advantage of disadvantaged kids to satisfy his sick and twisted desires. Like YR said, this probably goes back years and it really wouldn't shock me if this guy set up those foundations to serve as a way of getting close enough to act on his perversions.

The fact that Paterno didn't take this to the police after notifying the school, regardless of the school's action, is just despicable. What was he expecting? Was he afraid of screwing up a potential forced resignation and severance package? He should have walked out of that meeting and straight into the police department but he didn't. He washed his hands of it.

I hope they just erase Joe Paterno from the history books. I'm serious. In the grand scheme of things, his legacy should be the last thing considered at this point. It's clear he knew of it, the only question now is "how long"?

I don't want to hear, "he told school officials. He notified the school". Bull**** and everyone knows it so just get all the **** the way out of here with that nonsense. Because he didn't take further action, more kids were molested and nothing came of it so he may as well have done nothing at all. Seriously, he basically did nothing. He certainly didn't take the action that any of us would expect him to take if it were our kids. I challenge someone to say they'd be just fine with a grown man turning his back on their kids like that by notifying a school official, seeing nothing come of it and just moving on down the road as though it never happened.

Someone please sit here and say that's a form of action that you'd accept of another human being to take if your kids were repeatedly raped. I dare anyone to take that stance.

In all honesty, Paterno should be thanking his lucky stars if all he loses is his legacy. He should be included in it. Like just notifying a supervisor just frees someone of all guilt. We'd expect more from the guy serving us fries at McDonalds, let alone one of the most well respected and tenured members of college football. Well, he was well respected. I hope he taken to the ringer over this.

Again, Paterno is not the only one to blame but how anyone can free him from guilt even to a minimal extent is absolutely mind boggling.

I hope he and the grad assistant serve time. They earned it.

RoyTheHammer;4233055 said:
The only thing said that he knew in 1998 was that Sandusky had been reported to have an incident showering with a student, in which the charges were dropped and he was never proven guilty of. Even though it was never proven, Joe still didn't want that kind of atmosphere around PSU, so he told him he'd never be the head coach there.

So he knew in 1998 that Sandusky had a report of an incident showering with a little boy, yet it was never proven that this happened.

He knew in 2002 that Sandusky was reported by a grad student to be fooling around with a young boy in the showers, and reported it to university officials immediately.

Your defense is sad and sick at the same time. If your child was raped by a predator and you found out his boss knew and covered for him, you would say the same thing. Pathetic. Hope you don't have kids.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4233354 said:

I guarantee you that's the case. Of course he should've beaten the hell out of that monster immediately, don't get me wrong. But it probably flashed through his head -- besides being in total shock at what he saw -- that if he did that his career would be over not just at Penn State, but at almost any other school because he'd likely be blackballed forever by someone as powerful in the industry as Joe Paterno.

Now they're saying Paterno will be fired after the year. That isn't soon enough. He along with several others should've already coached their last game.

JBond

Reaction score
Joe Realist;4233456 said:

Good. Now they need to prosecute his failure to report a crime against a child. He can live out the rest of his miserable existence in a ****ing jail cell next to the pathetic grad assistant who did as little a Joe Pa.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
61 years at one school. I think they allow him to remain until the end of the year

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Joe Pa is daring the Board of Trustees to fire him.

He laid down the gauntlet.

If the report that the number of people coming forward is more like 20 is true...it's going to look unbelievably bad as each one of them comes forward and Paterno is still coaching.

Particularly if one of these victims is willing to be interviewed on TV or radio and really goes off.

YR

Dmoore Esq

Reaction score
I would be utterly shocked if Paterno coached on Saturday. And all the PSU students demonstrating their support for Joe Pa are completely disgusting. It's a vile thing that happened. The worst sports scandal of all-time. I understand you may love the guy and the team, and might want to wait until the process plays itself out and everything alleged is either proven or dismissed, but how could you offer your support to anyone who is alleged to have allowed something like this to happen under his watch? If Joe Pa is coaching, don't show up to the game. I'm a fan of Big 10 football, and a big fan of Michigan State. If something like this happened at the program I loved, you'd never see me at another game again or showing my support for anyone involved.