Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal (Indictment Post #144, "Pimping" Allegations Post #442)

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234099 said:
I figured this was coming.

Yup.. deservedly so. He should have resigned by now.

One of the most confusing things for me in all this right now is how McQueary is getting off scott free in all this. It appears like people are treating him as if he was a child when he saw this incident. He was a 23-25 year old man. How he's even being talked about as the next head coach or the interim head coach when he deserves just as much blame as anyone but Sandusky is ridiculous. He's the one that saw it. He wasn't some little boy. Everyone's calling for Joe's head, but he should be allowed to remain with the program and even take Joe's position perhaps?

Unreal.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Stautner;4234111 said:
I understand that now - I used LOL because I was laughing at myuself for not catching where you were coming from to begin with.

Ahh.. my mistake as well, haha.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234116 said:
Yup.. deservedly so. He should have resigned by now.

One of the most confusing things for me in all this right now is how McQueary is getting off scott free in all this. It appears like people are treating him as if he was a child when he saw this incident. He was a 23-25 year old man. How he's even being talked about as the next head coach or the interim head coach when he deserves just as much blame as anyone but Sandusky is ridiculous. He's the one that saw it. He wasn't some little boy. Everyone's calling for Joe's head, but he should be allowed to remain with the program and even take Joe's position perhaps?

Unreal.

In hind sight he should have called the cops. Just as Joe should have done. But both he and Joe did the thing they were supposed to so. They reported it to superiors. Hard to castigate McQueary for the same thing Joe did.

JBond

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234095 said:
I thought he was talking about the press. LOL

The last part though is just nuts.

Could have Joe pa done more? Would you have? I am almost certain you would have done more.

Stautner posted an excellent link. Many people knew for a long time this guy was a problem. Joe Pa was one among many. They all must pay and they will pay, here or in another time and place.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234121 said:
In hind sight he should have called the cops. Just as Joe should have done. But both he and Joe did the thing they were supposed to so. They reported it to superiors. Hard to castigate McQueary for the same thing Joe did.

Im just saying, if there are calls for Joe's head over inaction, how is it that its appropriate for McQueary?

McQueary should have an even greater responsibility to go to police as he was the one who witnessed the incident. He didn't attempt to break it up, even though he's a huge athletic guy in the prime of his life and Sandusky was a 70 year old man.. he didn't go to police, and he did the same thing that Joe did, that Joe is being crushed for.

How is it that McQueary acted appropriately and that there arn't calls for him to resign as well? It makes no sense.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234127 said:
Im just saying, if there are calls for Joe's head over inaction, how is it that its appropriate for McQueary?

McQueary should have an even greater responsibility to go to police as he was the one who witnessed the incident. He didn't attempt to break it up, even though he's a huge athletic guy in the prime of his life and Sandusky was a 70 year old man.. he didn't go to police, and he did the same thing that Joe did, that Joe is being crushed for.

How is it that McQueary acted appropriately and that there arn't calls for him to resign as well? It makes no sense.

But I'm not calling for joe's head.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234078 said:
Ludicrous. What more reliable source that the press? Really?

I meant Paterno, not the press. Had he come foward, people would've believed it.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
JBond;4234124 said:
Could have Joe pa done more? Would you have? I am almost certain you would have done more.

Stautner posted an excellent link. Many people knew for a long time this guy was a problem. Joe Pa was one among many. They all must pay and they will pay, here or in another time and place.

Sure. But I'm not 75 years old as Paterno was at the time.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234129 said:
But I'm not calling for joe's head.

I wasn't talking about you cajun, just the majority of the people in the press and in the public.

I honestly agree Joe should step down as well. I think he knows that he made a mistake and he knows he should have done more.. he's said as much. I don't believe he ever knew the extent of what was going on or what type of man Sandusky was, and now that he's finding out about all of these seperate incidents, he's truly hurting inside. I think him stepping down is the right thing, and it seems like he knows that as well and is doing everything he can to make it as easy and pain free as is possible right now on the university.

Those calling him a selfish individual and a coward are fools, imo. They read what they see in the media and they make their assumptions and submit their false accusations and all the while have no idea what kind of person Joe is and just how much he's done for the people around him in his life.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234095 said:
The last part though is just nuts.

If we're talking about doing nothing while some evades taxes, I would agree.

If we're talking about not doing everything in your power to stop someone running a ponzi scheme, then yeah.

But we're talking about a child molester. How many of Sandusky's victims have overdosed on drugs or committed suicide because what he did. And we know that Joe Pa knew what Sandusky was doing. We can argue the extent he knew untill we turn blue, but we know that Joe Pa knew. Their is blood on the hands of several people involved, and Joe Pa is one of them.

It's easy to stand infront of a bunch of people and get them to write a check or volunteer their time. Heck, it's even more admirable when you do it yor self. But what isn't easy is to stand in front of those people and say, a life long friend of mine, isn't who I thought he was. I erred in my judgement trusting him and it led to this. Had he done that, then you can say the bad doesn't out weigh the good. Had he done that, then you could say 1 moment of bad judgement doesn't erase 60+ years of charity. But this was not 1 moment of bad judgment, it was 13 years of bad judgement.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234140 said:
I honestly agree Joe should step down as well. I think he knows that he made a mistake and he knows he should have done more.. he's said as much. I don't believe he ever knew the extent of what was going on or what type of man Sandusky was, and now that he's finding out about all of these seperate incidents, he's truly hurting inside. I think him stepping down is the right thing, and it seems like he knows that as well and is doing everything he can to make it as easy and pain free as is possible right now on the university.

Agree with this completely... as for the part I left off of the bottom that's why we have message boards... ;)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4234127 said:

Maybe you haven't watched the latest news, but McQueary's catching major heat over this, as well. He's catching it for not following up, and then staying silent all these years.

At first when I read grad assistant, I was thinking he's a young guy fresh out of school. Then I hear he's 28. That's a grown man in my eyes.

Yes, Joe Pa is getting heat, but so should anybody who didn't take it to the proper authorities (ie the police or CPS). I read the indictment. And anyone who was told about it, saw anything, and did nothing deserves to get criticized.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
In the comments section of an article in an SI online blog post by Joe Posnanski, Columbia Univ. Adjunct Professor Scott Semer assails Joe Paterno for not taking greater actions in the Jerry Sandusky case (Link is to the actual Grand Jury Report. It is not for the squeamish.)

Semer rests his opinions as a lawyer and an Adjunct Professor of Transactional Law at Columbia Univ. in NYC. He takes what I believe is the majority opinion as to Coach Paterno's decisions which is that he did the least he could do to cover himself but owed a moral duty to do more.

http://thatlawyerdude.blogspot.com/2011/11/strong-defense-of-joe-paterno-why.html

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234159 said:
If we're talking about doing nothing while some evades taxes, I would agree.

If we're talking about not doing everything in your power to stop someone running a ponzi scheme, then yeah.

But we're talking about a child molester. How many of Sandusky's victims have overdosed on drugs or committed suicide because what he did. And we know that Joe Pa knew what Sandusky was doing. We can argue the extent he knew untill we turn blue, but we know that Joe Pa knew. Their is blood on the hands of several people involved, and Joe Pa is one of them.

It's easy to stand infront of a bunch of people and get them to write a check or volunteer their time. Heck, it's even more admirable when you do it yor self. But what isn't easy is to stand in front of those people and say, a life long friend of mine, isn't who I thought he was. I erred in my judgement trusting him and it led to this. Had he done that, then you can say the bad doesn't out weigh the good. Had he done that, then you could say 1 moment of bad judgement doesn't erase 60+ years of charity. But this was not 1 moment of bad judgment, it was 13 years of bad judgement.

Care to show me where Joe KNEW anything before 2002?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4234161 said:
Maybe you haven't watched the latest news, but McQueary's catching major heat over this, as well. He's catching it for not following up, and then staying silent all these years.

At first when I read grad assistant, I was thinking he's a young guy fresh out of school. Then I hear he's 28. That's a grown man in my eyes.

Yes, Joe Pa is getting heat, but so should anybody who didn't take it to the proper authorities (ie the police or CPS). I read the indictment. And anyone who read it, saw anything, and did nothing deserves to get criticized.

He may be catching heat, but he's also being rumored to coach in place of Joe. It makes no sense. He needs to step down or be forced out as well.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4234161 said:

Yes, Joe Pa is getting heat, but so should anybody who didn't take it to the proper authorities (ie the police or CPS). I read the indictment. And anyone who was told about it, saw anything, and did nothing deserves to get criticized.

Paterno didn't do NOTHING. He reported it.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234164 said:
Care to show me where Joe KNEW anything before 2002?

he knew in 2002 and his inaction then led to 9+ years of Sandusky being able to prey on more victims.

Now if we're to believe the testemony before the grand jury, Joe Pa met with Sandusky in 99' letting him know he wouldn't be the coach becuase of such behavior.

However in my post I was just saying we know knew (2002 at the earliest) and he did nothing. If you want to be technical he did the bare minimum legally and nothing morally.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;4234175 said:
Paterno didn't do NOTHING. He reported it.
I already said that short of reporting it to the police, he did nothing.

Seriously, if I see someone commit a crime, what good is it reporting it to my boss?

If I'm told that someone close to me committed a crime, especially one so egregious. Telling my superior just doesn't seem like enough to me.

Not following up when you see no inactivity is doing nothing.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234179 said:
he knew in 2002 and his inaction then led to 9+ years of Sandusky being able to prey on more victims.

Now if we're to believe the testemony before the grand jury, Joe Pa met with Sandusky in 99' letting him know he wouldn't be the coach becuase of such behavior.

However in my post I was just saying we know knew (2002 at the earliest) and he did nothing. If you want to be technical he did the bare minimum legally and nothing morally.

That's not true. The indictment says no such thing.

And in 2002, he went to the authorities he was supposed to. You said he did nothing but then say he did what he was obliged to do under the law.

Can't have it both ways.