Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal (Indictment Post #144, "Pimping" Allegations Post #442)

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4233930 said:
Keep rolling your eyes and keep having blind allegiance to fake heroes.
YR

The only one blind is you, with your assumptions and false accusations while knowing nothing about the man you speak of. You make yourself out to be more of a fool with each post. Claiming all the good Joe has done for so many people over 60 years at PSU was all just for himself.

Everything you've said on this topic has been a joke.

JBond

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4233912 said:
They both reported it to their superior and to the head of university police.

Is that how you would have handled it? Tell you boss and then do nothing?

or would you have done the correct thing and tried to stop a monster. Even if you are not sure he is a monster, having an assistant come up to you and tell you he saw a coach raping a 10 year old in the shower....I mean come on. You would do next to nothing? I do not believe that. You would do more than Joe and his assistant did. Right?

YR....I have many questions......the truth will come out about old Joe, one way or the other.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Seems as if a lot in this thread are missing the fact that Sandusky was performing deviate sexual acts with underage boys.

Paterno, while certainly committing a very bad judgement error, is hardly the worst person in this scenario.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4233934 said:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

This sums it up for me. The AD, University President have a legal responsibility to do more, and their day in court is coming. However, for Joe Pa, the Graduate Assistant and anyone else who knew should be haunted by these words. Who knows how many lives could've been sparred from Sandusky's actions if anyone did more than the bare minimum to stop him!

I'm not saying that the guys who did little to nothing to intervene should go to **** or even jail, but they don't get to go own with their lives as though nothing happened.

Agreed.. they will suffer enough inside in their own minds and hearts for failing to do more to stop it. They don't need anyone to tell them that they should have done more to help.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I admit have not been keeping up with this as much as many of you evidently have but one question after all the allegations why is Sandusky himself claiming he is innocent?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
JBond;4233944 said:

or would you have done the correct thing and tried to stop a monster. Even if you are not sure he is a monster, having an assistant come up to you and tell you he saw a coach raping a 10 year old in the shower....I mean come on. You would do next to nothing? I do not believe that. You would do more than Joe and his assistant did. Right?

YR....I have many questions......the truth will come out about old Joe, one way or the other.

The problem is the brief made it seem like the GA, when talking to attorneys, testified to what he saw, but when he told Paterno he apparently only said that he saw "something inappropriate."

I'll have to read the brief again about Victim #2.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
casmith07;4233945 said:
Seems as if a lot in this thread are missing the fact that Sandusky was performing deviate sexual acts with underage boys.

Paterno, while certainly committing a very bad judgement error, is hardly the worst person in this scenario.

It may seem that way to you, but I don't know of anybody claiming or insinuating that Paterno was just as bad as Sandusky.

Out of this mess, the one guy that is getting support is Paterno and there are people like myself that feel what he did was coward and selfish. Others feel like he should have done more. I think that's why people are going after Paterno...because some have a blind allegiance to the man.

YR

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
JBond;4233944 said:

He told his superior and the head of university police. They told him they were going to take care of it. I believe he thought at that point it was going to be handled, but they lied to him as they lied to the grand jury just a couple days ago.

I would also tell my superior and the head of university police if that's where i was working. If they didn't do anything about it, i would however, go to the state police or take it as far up as i had to. I have already agreed that's what should have been done, not just by Joe, but by all of them.

However, for any of us to say we know exactly what we would have done, put in the same situation with a guy who had always been of the highest character and was always a great guy and willing to help anyone, and we had been friends for 30 years and i thought i knew this guy and what he was about, etc, etc.. i don't think any of us knows exactly what we would have done for sure.

What was done by Joe?

In 1998 when the first incident was reported, even though Sandusky wasn't ever proven to have showered with a young boy, Joe called his best friend and by all accounts a great human being into his office and told him he'd never be the head coach there.

Then in 2002, when he was told of another incident, he went immediately with the information to his superior and also the head of university police. He was banned from campus. They told him they would take care of it right away. They lied to him, and to the grand jury. He should have kept monitoring the situation and when he saw they didn't do more, done something himself. That is his major mistake.

One of my first questions is, when Sandusky went to satelite PSU campuses then to run his football camp, were they even informed by the athletic director about these allegations at all? And if so, why are they not being prosecuted as well?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
casmith07;4233951 said:
The problem is the brief made it seem like the GA, when talking to attorneys, testified to what he saw, but when he told Paterno he apparently only said that he saw "something inappropriate."

I'll have to read the brief again about Victim #2.

After re-reading, the GA reported to both Curley AND Schultz that he saw what he believed to be a sex act.

Curley and Schultz are more in the wrong here than Paterno is. However, anybody at any time could have called 911.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4233954 said:
It may seem that way to you, but I don't know of anybody claiming or insinuating that Paterno was just as bad as Sandusky.

Out of this mess, the one guy that is getting support is Paterno and there are people like myself that feel what he did was coward and selfish. Others feel like he should have done more. I think that's why people are going after Paterno...because some have a blind allegiance to the man.

YR

I don't think of his actions as selfishness, but certainly cowardice. It's very easy to dial three numbers - 911 - and do the right thing.

JBond

Reaction score
casmith07;4233945 said:

I think we can all agree Sandusky is trash that deserves everything that will happen to him. My point is that people who are around predators that become aware of their actions, should do absolutely everything in their power to stop them. Old Joe did not. Neither did his assistant and who knows how many others are involved in the cover up.

Allowing more rapes of children by doing next to nothing, makes them nearly as bad as the twisted individual actually commiting the rapes. How could they do nothing?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4233960 said:
He told his superior and the head of university police.

No. The report went from the GA to Paterno to the Athletic Director. After the Athletic Director and Schultz questioned the GA, they said something would be done and nothing was done.

They told him they were going to take care of it. I believe he thought at that point it was going to be handled, but they lied to him as they lied to the grand jury just a couple days ago.

I would also tell my superior and the head of university police if that's where i was working. If they didn't do anything about it, i would however, go to the state police or take it as far up as i had to. I have already agreed that's what should have been done, not just by Joe, but by all of them.

However, for any of us to say we know exactly what we would have done, put in the same situation with a guy who had always been of the highest character and was always a great guy and willing to help anyone, and we had been friends for 30 years and i thought i knew this guy and what he was about, etc, etc.. i don't think any of us knows exactly what we would have done for sure.

I would have called the police, and not the weak campus police. State Authorities, most likely.

What was done by Joe?

Not much.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
JBond;4233968 said:
I think we can all agree Sandusky is trash that deserves everything that will happen to him. My point is that people who are around predators that become aware of their action, should do absolutely everything in their power to stop them. Old Joe did not. Neither did his assistant and who knows how many others are involved in the cover up.

Allowing more rapes of children by doing next to nothing, makes them nearly as bad as the twisted individual actually commiting the rapes. How could they do nothing?

Doing nothing is simple -- most people are sheep, not sheepdogs. They don't want the leadership mantle.

As for calling it a coverup, that assumes that they actively participated in attempting to mask the actions of Sandusky, and I don't agree with that, unless you're suggesting that the Athletic Director was involved in a coverup, in which case I wholly agree.

Stautner

Reaction score
casmith07;4233970 said:
No. The report went from the GA to Paterno to the Athletic Director. After the Athletic Director and Schultz questioned the GA, they said something would be done and nothing was done.

I would have called the police, and not the weak campus police. State Authorities, most likely.

Not much.

Why State authorities and not the local police? State authorities likely would tell you to do that anyway because that's what the local police are there for.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
JBond;4233944 said:

People are kidding themselves if they think that this is pretty much all of the victims. IIRC, the 2nd Mile was founded by Sandusky in 1977. The first child was reported to have contact with Sandusky in 1995-ish. I would bet dollars to donuts that Sandusky just didn't start molesting boys thru his 2nd Mile program in 1995. Almost 20 years before that.

So there will be more and more victims coming out (reportedly they are up to almost 20 victims coming forward now). And for every victim, more of the truth comes out.

I don't think Paterno knew anything before '98 though. In fact, the '98 incident was probably labeled as 'very inappropriate' by the DA, but they didn't have any evidence of actual molestation or fondling and it appears that the phone call was not recorded. That's probably why the DA didn't feel he had enough evidence to arrest him.

Remember, Sandusky was a God of sorts in '98. So the DA probably felt that if he was going to arrest him, he better have an extremely strong case and he didn't have it.

I think Paterno didn't like what he heard and told him that he can forget about being the heir apparent and basically told him to retire so they can keep the story from coming out. I actually believe Paterno thought Sandusky wouldn't do it again.

Furthermore...I think Paterno and PSU thought that they couldn't eliminate Sandusky from the 2nd Mile Program because it would look too suspicious for him to suddenly retire from the team and the 2nd Mile Program. So they kept him at PSU with an office, emeritus professor status, running the 2nd mile and unlimited access to the school's facilities.

I think that would keep people from being suspicious and that in the end, and that PSU and Paterno felt that incident in '98 may have just been inappropriate...but nothing beyond that.

Then '02 hit....I think Paterno was thoroughly disgusted with Sandusky. McQuery told Paterno that he saw Sandusky fondling a boy, which was a watered down version, but still bad and Paterno knew full well that Sandusky was a child molestor.

After that, I have my suspicions but they are a bit too wide ranging for here.

I just know that had Paterno reported it to the police, it would have eliminated Sandusky from the program for good. He basically had the choice of outing Sandusky and leaving a small tarnish on his legacy or protecting children.

Yeah, it would have left a small tarnish of his legacy in '02. How could it not? But, Paterno had that choice...a small tarnish or protecting kids from an atrocious crime.

And he chose to protect his legacy from having even a small blemish on it.

If he's that selfish in what was the biggest decision of his life, I think it's safe to say that the rest applies to his career.

YR

JBond

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4233960 said:
He told his superior and the head of university police. They told him they were going to take care of it. I believe he thought at that point it was going to be handled, but they lied to him as they lied to the grand jury just a couple days ago.

What was done by Joe?

In 1998 when the first incident was reported, even though Sandusky wasn't ever proven to have showered with a young boy, Joe called his best friend and by all accounts a great human being into his office and told him he'd never be the head coach there.

Then in 2002, when he was told of another incident, he went immediately with the information to his superior and also the head of university police. He was banned from campus. They told him they would take care of it right away. They lied to him, and to the grand jury. He should have kept monitoring the situation and when he saw they didn't do more, done something himself. That is his major mistake.

One of my first questions is, when Sandusky went to satelite PSU campuses then to run his football camp, were they even informed by the athletic director about these allegations at all? And if so, why are they not being prosecuted as well?

So many questions. The more I read, the more questions I have. The bottom line is Penn State employees did not do everything humanly possible to stop an evil man, and the result was more children being raped.

Why was the charity for children he works with not notified. How about the state? He apparently had many foster children. Sandusky is a truly evil man.

Penn State has a lot of clean up to do. If they continue to lie and cover it is going to be even worse.

Stautner

Reaction score
I don't really think reporting it to the police would have tarnished Paterno's personal legacy, and in fact in the long run it may have strengthened it. It would, however, have tarnished the Penn State football program for a time.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Stautner;4233980 said:
Why State authorities and not the local police? State authorities likely would tell you to do that anyway because that's what the local police are there for.

Most would call the local police, and that's basically what University Police is to Penn State. They arn't rent-a-cop. They are their own department.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
casmith07;4233945 said:

Not one person has claimed otherwise.

And RTH, you mention Paterno reporting this to the police and assuming it was handled. Well, when you see this guy who did a sexual act -- any sexual act, you don't have to know the details -- with a boy still around your program, how could you think it was handled?

And if somehow you thought the whole story was a lie, why wouldn't you grill McQuery about why he'd make up such a terrible accusation? Instead, McQuery stays around and eventually gets a promotion.

The more I read about it, the more I think YR is right. This thing stinks even worse than it looked like at first.

Here's the question: If the perpetrator had been some janitor and not a highly-regarded long-time Paterno assistant, would the response have been exactly the same? No way.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
JBond;4233989 said:
So many questions. The more I read, the more questions I have. The bottom line is Penn State employees did not do everything humanly possible to stop an evil man, and the result was more children being raped.

Why was the charity for children he works with not notified. How about the state? He apparently had many foster children. Sandusky is a truly evil man.

Penn State has a lot of clean up to do. If they continue to lie and cover it is going to be even worse.

I agree.. and there are alot of questions to be answered yet. That's why i get upset at those just throwing out blind accusations based off assumption and false information. Joe isn't one of those who has lied about anything related to this topic though. Curley, Spanier, Schultz.. all have.

As for the charity, they were actually notified about several of the incidents according to the testimony.. yet they too failed to do anything.

Sandusky really is a sick and evil ****. His actions are purely disgusting at best.