Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal (Indictment Post #144, "Pimping" Allegations Post #442)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4234182 said:
I already said that short of reporting it to the police, he did nothing.

Seriously, if I see someone commit a crime, what good is it reporting it to my boss?

If I'm told that someone close to me committed a crime, especially one so egregious. Telling my superior just doesn't seem like enough to me.

Not following up when you see no inactivity is doing nothing.

Joe didn't see the crime. He got it second hand.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234164 said:
Care to show me where Joe KNEW anything before 2002?

C'mon Cajun... you have to connect the dots here...

I've known of Sandusky for YEARS as a coach. He had two separate features in SI over the years. He was considered the greatest assistant coach to never have a HC position. He also co-authored two definitive books on coaching...

How on earth would Joe want to go "a different direction" when you have the best coach on earth at his position?

I'm like rth... I think he knew in '98 and that's why he canned him. I also think he had NO idea to the extent of this sicko and truly is taken aback...

Being the figurehead of this university, he is going to be held to a higher standard. I hate he is going out this way, but he COULD have done more... and that's what people see right now as this happened right under his nose...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;4234185 said:
That's not true. The indictment says no such thing.

And in 2002, he went to the authorities he was supposed to. You said he did nothing but then say he did what he was obliged to do under the law.

Can't have it both ways.
Actually, the indictment says that one of the victimes was in his car and he told the victim this info after he was told by Joe Pa that he wasn't going to be the next HC. He told the victim not to tell.

Cajuncowboy;4234188 said:
Joe didn't see the crime. He got it second hand.
Again, if I'm told by that someone I knew committed such a heinous crime, is really telling my superior enough?

Short of going to the police, everybody did the absolute barebone minimum to cover their ***.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
trickblue;4234191 said:

I've known of Sandusky for YEARS as a coach. He had two separate features in SI over the years. He was considered the greatest assistant coach to never have a HC position. He also co-authored two definitive books on coaching...

How on earth would Joe want to go "a different direction" when you have the best coach on earth at his position?

I'm like rth... I think he knew in '98 and that's why he canned him. I also think he had NO idea to the extent of this sicko and truly is taken aback...

Being the figurehead of this university, he is going to be held to a higher standard. I hate he is going out this way, but he COULD have done more... and that's what people see right now as this happened right under his nose...

The guy was 75 years old. Not real hard to hide things from old people. And there is still the issue of why was he told he wouldn't be coach. The likelihood is that joe wasn't planning on going anywhere soon and if He was waiting for that, then he wouldn't be wasting his time. Basically telling him he would never be coach there.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4234182 said:
I already said that short of reporting it to the police, he did nothing.

Seriously, if I see someone commit a crime, what good is it reporting it to my boss?

If I'm told that someone close to me committed a crime, especially one so egregious. Telling my superior just doesn't seem like enough to me.

Not following up when you see no inactivity is doing nothing.

...and again, he was told by his superior and the head of campus police that they would investigate and take care of it. After a couple weeks, he was lied to by them and told there was nothing there and made to believe nothing happened and McQueary was being untruthful.

What is anyone supposed to think after being told that?

"Oh, these guys that run the organization and that i have known for 30 years must be lying?"

Come on now.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
That's not true. The indictment says no such thing.

You're right, we don't know why coach Paterno told him he wouldn't be the next coach, but as I said, he still knew, even if it was as late as 2002, that still gave Sandusky 9+ years to victimize more children

And in 2002, he went to the authorities he was supposed to. You said he did nothing but then say he did what he was obliged to do under the law.

Can't have it both ways.

Yes I can. Joe Pa fufilled his legal responsibility and failed to fill his moral responsibility. I'm not advocating Joe Pa go to jail, but saying clearly from a moral aspect, he failed to meet the minimum standard any human being should accept.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If they don't want to outright fire both Paterno and McQueary right now then they should at least suspend them for the time being.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
trickblue;4234191 said:

This is it right here. Not only is Joe taken aback right now, but it seems everyone who ever knew Sandusky is. All the accounts from former players and peers of his that i've seen, everyone is just completely shocked. No one ever would have thought he was this type of person, he was seen as the complete opposite and one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet.

He fooled everyone.. just like Joe said in his initial statement.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4234200 said:
Actually, the indictment says that one of the victimes was in his car and he told the victim this info after he was told by Joe Pa that he wasn't going to be the next HC. He told the victim not to tell.

Again, if I'm told by that someone I knew committed such a heinous crime, is really telling my superior enough?

Short of going to the police, everybody did the absolute barebone minimum to cover their ***.

You're wrong. The indictment never said that was the reason he wouldn't be coach. Sandusky just told him not to tell anyone he wouldn't be coach.

Again, someone tells you they saw something and then you go to the cops, the cops are going to ant to talk to the witness, not you. Since it happened on work property, you go to your boss to report it and he goes to the cops. That's how it works.

Stautner

Reaction score
trickblue;4234191 said:

Obviously the fact that Paterno told Sandusky he was not going to succeed Paterno as head coach at Penn State brings up legitimate questions about what Paterno knew and when, but it is in no way proof of anything. There are other possible reasons. Maybe Sandusky had started to undermine Paterno because he wanted to be HC and Paterno refused to retire. Maybe Sandusky fought too hard about wanting to take the team in a different direction than Paterno did and there was friction. Maybe Sandusky got complacent and wasn't doing as good a job after all those years. Clearly there is no proof of those things either, but they do tell us there is more than just one possibility.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234201 said:
The guy was 75 years old. Not real hard to hide things from old people. And there is still the issue of why was he told he wouldn't be coach. The likelihood is that joe wasn't planning on going anywhere soon and if He was waiting for that, then he wouldn't be wasting his time. Basically telling him he would never be coach there.

He was 72 then...

He told the boy immediately after the meeting but didn't tell him why...

By connecting the dots, Joe Pa was told of the incident then let Sandusky know it wasn't happening. I'm sure he was allowed to "retire" or else...

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234204 said:
You're right, we don't know why coach Paterno told him he wouldn't be the next coach, but as I said, he still knew, even if it was as late as 2002, that still gave Sandusky 9+ years to victimize more children

Yes I can. Joe Pa fufilled his legal responsibility and failed to fill his moral responsibility. I'm not advocating Joe Pa go to jail, but saying clearly from a moral aspect, he failed to meet the minimum standard any human being should accept.

Again, wrong. Joe didn't give him 9+ years to do this. Maybe the school did. Maybe the charity did. Maybe the UP did. But Paterno did what he was supposed to do since he wasn't a witness to any of this.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4234202 said:
...and again, he was told by his superior and the head of campus police that they would investigate and take care of it. After a couple weeks, he was lied to by them and told there was nothing there and made to believe nothing happened and McQueary was being untruthful.

"Oh, these guys that run the organization and that i have known for 30 years must be lying?"

Come on now.
He wasn't told by the head of campus police. Campus police were never informed.

He was told by his superior that they were going to investigate. However, short of following up and going to the police himself. He didn't do enough.

I don't see the disconnect here. Is it hard to really understand why some people are horrified that the janitors, Joe Pa, McQueary, the AD, the President, and whoever else all sat on their thumbs and allowed a child predator free reign to their university facilities?

JBond

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4234202 said:

Come on now.

It seems odd to me if Joe believed McQueary was the type of person to make up outrageous lies about one of Joe's closest friends and assistant coaches that he would keep him around and promote him. It does not add up.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
trickblue;4234212 said:
He was 72 then...

He told the boy immediately after the media but didn't tell him why...

By connecting the dots, Joe Pa was told of the incident then let Sandusky know it wasn't happening. I'm sure he was allowed to "retire" or else...

What dots? I guess you should be able to prove that MQueary knew as well. We dang sure know that the cps knew. Why aren't they on the hot seat as well as Paterno? You don't just accuse someone of "knowing" something without proof. And you or no one else has that proof.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4234214 said:
Again, wrong. Joe didn't give him 9+ years to do this. Maybe the school did. Maybe the charity did. Maybe the UP did. But Paterno did what he was supposed to do since he wasn't a witness to any of this.

everyone involved gave him 9+ years to continue. the graduate assistant, the janitor, the university president, the athletic director and Joe Paterno. Anyone one of these 5 men would've done more if that was their son or at the very least wouldn't be satisfied with the actions taken by those involved if that was their child, you yes all 5 men and likely many more share some of the blame.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4234216 said:
He wasn't told by the head of campus police. Campus police were never informed.

He was told by his superior that they were going to investigate. However, short of following up and going to the police himself. He didn't do enough.

I don't see the disconnect here. Is it hard to really understand why some people are horrified that the janitors, Joe Pa, McQueary, the AD, the President, and whoever else all sat on their thumbs and allowed a child predator free reign to their university facilities?

Campus police were most certainly informed. Schultz is the HEAD of campus police.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234231 said:
everyone involved gave him 9+ years to continue. the graduate assistant, the janitor, the university president, the athletic director and Joe Paterno. Anyone one of these 5 men would've done more if that was their son or at the very least wouldn't be satisfied with the actions taken by those involved if that was their child, you yes all 5 men and likely many more share some of the blame.

Once again, no one is saying he should have said something directly to the cop. Problem is that the amount of blame being leveled at Paterno who wasn't even a witness to the event,, is being made out to be the worst person in the world.

He did the things he was supposed to do and thought at 72 years old, that what he was told was being done. It wasn't.

JBond

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234231 said:

+1

How about the guys wife? Have not heard much about her. All those adopted kids and foster kids. Taking the kids he molested on trips with his wife. There is some very sick **** going on there. There is no doubt in my mind my wife would put a bullet in me if I did what he did.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
JBond;4234217 said:
It seems odd to me if Joe believed McQueary was the type of person to make up outrageous lies about one of Joe's closest friends and assistant coaches that he would keep him around and promote him. It does not add up.

I don't think Joe made any judgement about what was going on. He referred the matter to his superior, was told by he and the head of campus police they would investigate, was lied to and told that there was nothing there, and that was it. He didn't suspect anything further or pass judgement on anyone, he thought there was nothing there because that's what he was told. Maybe he thought McQueary was making it up, maybe he thought he just wasn't sure what he saw, who knows. I don't see a reason to take anything out on McQueary for coming to him with something he thought he saw though.