Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal (Indictment Post #144, "Pimping" Allegations Post #442)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stautner;4234431 said:
And I agree on Larry, Mo and Curly. They didn't even bother to pass the responsibility on to someone else, they chose to ignore it an hope it went away without anyone finding out.

Which is bad enough... but in light of the '98 incident, it's that much worse.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CanadianCowboysFan;4234430 said:
What more should JoePa have done?

Does reporting it to your superiors not constitute enough?
Not in my opinion..

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4234440 said:
It's a ridiculous question as it wasn't my son and it is a question that cannot be answered,

If I say yes, I'm a hypocrite who only cares about my own, if I say no, I'm an atrocious parent or at best, a liar.

It's like those "when did you stop beating your wife" type questions.

Even Paterno said he should have done more.

Sexually assurting a minor is a felony and Paterno should have notified police immediately and have GA give statement to the police, since GA relayed to Paterno what he witnessed in the shower, according to grand jury report.

Stautner

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4234430 said:
What more should JoePa have done?

Does reporting it to your superiors not constitute enough?

WoodysGirl;4234452 said:
Not in my opinion..

Once again, it absolutely is enough as long as the superiors do what they are supposed to do. In this case they didn't and there is certainly a very reasonable argument that Paterno should have followed up to make sure they did, not necessarily from a legal standpoint, but from a moral one.

As I have said, I think Paterno probably did what a lot of people would have done when faced with doing something that he knew would destroy the life of a lifelong friend. He reported it and allowed someone else to do the dirty work, and when they told him they looked into it and didn't find a basis for a criminal charge he was probably relieved and just accepted it.

To me the real negative against Paterno will be if it is proven he knew of prior acts of sexual contact with a child before 2002, and not just that Sandusky took a shower in the same community lockerroom shower that a boy did. Again, I'm not saying even that is right, but that alone is not proof of sexual assault or even sexual contact of any kind.

Stautner

Reaction score
03EBZ06;4234458 said:
Even Paterno said he should have done more.

Sexually assurting a minor is a felony and Paterno should have notified police immediately and have GA give statement to the police, since GA relayed to Paterno what he witnessed in the shower, according to grand jury report.

Well duh - that's easy to say in hindsight. i can look back at a lot of things in my life where in hindsight I can say i should have done more, but at the time it's not so clear. It's easy for us to view Sandusky as a monster, but for someone who knew him and cared for him and trusted him for a large portion of his life that wouldn't be quite so easy to do. I don't think many people are fairly viewing this aspect of it, and I think it's pretty human that a person in that position would decide that the charge is too serious to ignore, but decide to report it up the chain of command and let his superiors take the lead position in taking his friend down.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Stautner;4234466 said:
Well duh - that's easy to say in hindsight. i can look back at a lot of things in my life where in hindsight I can say i should have done more, but at the time it's not so clear. It's easy for us to view Sandusky as a monster, but for someone who knew him and cared for him and trusted him for a large portion of his life that wouldn't be quite so easy to do. I don't think many people are fairly viewing this aspect of it, and I think it's pretty human that a person in that position would decide that the charge is too serious to ignore, but decide to report it up the chain of command and let his superiors take the lead position in taking his friend down.

all these powerful people - and in the end they only cared for themselves or their 'friend'

No one care for the child that was molested.

Joe and all the rest if not in jail deserved to be ran out of town on a rail and tared and feathered.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stautner;4234459 said:
Once again, it absolutely is enough as long as the superiors do what they are supposed to do. In this case they didn't and there is certainly a very reasonable argument that Paterno should have followed up to make sure they did, not necessarily from a legal standpoint, but from a moral one.

As I have said, I think Paterno probably did what a lot of people would have done when faced with doing something that he knew would destroy the life of a lifelong friend. He reported it and allowed someone else to do the dirty work, and when they told him they looked into it and didn't find a basis for a criminal charge he was probably relieved and just accepted it.

To me the real negative against Paterno will be if it is proven he knew of prior acts of sexual contact with a child before 2002, and not just that Sandusky took a shower in the same community lockerroom shower that a boy did. Again, I'm not saying even that is right, but that alone is not proof of sexual assault or even sexual contact of any kind.
Legally, it was enough. They did the absolute bare minimum, but it was enough.

But is it unreasonable to expect Paterno or the GA to follow-up with their superiors a bit more strongly rather than accept the explanations given to them?

Is it unreasonable to think that Paterno or the GA could've gone directly to the police, in addition to reporting it to a supervisor?

So when one ask what should they have done? How about go to the police?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4234480 said:
all these powerful people - and in the end they only cared for themselves or their 'friend'

Joe and all the rest if not in jail deserved to be ran out of town on a rail and tared and feathered.
That's pretty how much how I feel.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4234495 said:
Legally, it was enough. They did the absolute bare minimum, but it was enough.

But is it unreasonable to expect Paterno or the GA to follow-up with their superiors a bit more strongly rather than accept the explanations given to them?

Is it unreasonable to think that Paterno or the GA could've gone directly to the police, in addition to reporting it to a supervisor?

So when one ask what should they have done? How about go to the police?

and do what report what he was told by someone who claimed to have seen something

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I have to say though I don't know if I would rat a friend out on something I didn't see and which was just told to me.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4234512 said:
I have to say though I don't know if I would rat a friend out on something I didn't see and which was just told to me.

So some one "visably upset" as Joe Pa said himself, claiming a friend of yours was in a shower, naked with a 10 year old boy, and that's not enough for you to "rat" him out?

Friend or not, you have to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Women, children, the elderly, disabled, who ever. Turning a blind eye in anyform is just enabling the offense.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I don't think most would. But, I don't think most wuold just leave it at that.

I think most would have a *difficult* time *initially* believing it. I think they would want to ask Sandusky and see if he would confess. Personally, I would have embellished a bit and said 'Jerry, I've got 3 witnesses saying that they saw you fondling a young boy in the shower.'

Perhaps he confesses. Then you force him to turn himself into the cops.

If he doesn't confess...then you go back to McQueary and say something like 'Sandusky says he didn't. Are you sure? I will back you if you are confident. This is a serious accusation, so we need to be sure."

And if McQueary insists that he saw what he saw...then I convince him to go to the authorities and I would be right with him.

I think that's perfectly reasonable and I think that's how most would handle it...or in a similar fashion. This is not only a close friend of Paterno's for over 30 years, but somebody he worked with. VERY difficult to believe it's true when you first hear of it because you're so close to each other.

But, it's obvious Paterno knew of the 1998 incident full well. And when he was told by McQueary in 2002, Joe knew that it was true. He didn't need hsi friend's side of the story because of the 1998 incident and he did the bare minimum to cover his own arse.

YR

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234536 said:
So some one "visably upset" as Joe Pa said himself, claiming a friend of yours was in a shower, naked with a 10 year old boy, and that's not enough for you to "rat" him out?

Friend or not, you have to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Women, children, the elderly, disabled, who ever. Turning a blind eye in anyform is just enabling the offense.

I don't know what I would do, I figure if I did go to the authorities as JoePa did, I would probably leave it at that

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
burmafrd;4234480 said:

It has always been about Penn St. football, .. it even is today.

1998 or 1999 - Sandusky told he can't be head coach of Penn St. football

2002 - Sandusky told not to bring kids on to Penn St. football campus.

Nothing ever done for the faceless, nameless little victims.

Even today it's all about Joe Paterno, ... I'm hearing how does this impact him coaching this Saturday? how does this impact his legacy?

The heck with Penn St.
The heck with their president, AD or some GA
The heck with Paterno
The heck with their football program

People thought they knew these people, they were wrong.

People ask if he did enough, .. I would turn in my Dad or my sons if I thought they were anal raping little boys.

You guys need to stop defending these people.

I understand that is hard to do after respecting them for so long, but stand back and look and what has transpired.

This is an ugly mess.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score

The accusations are as bad as they can be... short of murder... and he had a history...

I would hope you would look in to it...

I don't get this "no snitch" mentality... it is killing our society...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
trickblue;4234593 said:
The accusations are as bad as they can be... short of murder... and he had a history...

I would hope you would look in to it...

I don't get this "no snitch" mentality... it is killing our society...

if anyone should have reported it, it's the person who saw what allegedly happened

as for snitching, I disagree, people are going out of their way now to rat other's out, disgusts me actually

trickblue

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4234548 said:
I don't know what I would do, I figure if I did go to the authorities as JoePa did, I would probably leave it at that

Herein lies the problem... he DIDN'T go to the authorities... he went to his superiors... and obviously saw they did nothing...

That will be his downfall...

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
trickblue;4234599 said:
Herein lies the problem... he DIDN'T go to the authorities... he went to his superiors... and obviously saw they did nothing...

That will be his downfall...

What you don't seem understand is that the Penn State police department would have had jurisdiction.....he informed the AD and the VP who was in charge of that police department.

trickblue

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4234646 said:
What you don't seem understand is that the Penn State police department would have had jurisdiction.....he informed the AD and the VP who was in charge of that police department.

And when he saw nothing was done, he could have pushed the issue...

I have hardly been unfair to JoePa... but he is a victim of circumstance at the very minimum...

Being the face of PSU naturally brings him in to the picture... especially when a direct employee/former employee is implicated... it's life...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4234255 said:
My problem with Joe Pa, is he had enough influence, power or what ever you want to call it, to end this in 2002 at the earliest and either chose not to or didn't care enough to try.

Both are pretty bad.

What power or influence would that be? Was he the chief of police? A CIA operative? A child services agent?

He's the football coach at a university and he was told something of a sexual influence was going on between a child and a university volunteer and he reported it to his superior who told him he'd notify the head of campus police and that they would get to the bottom of it. Weeks later they came back and told him they investigated and that there was nothing to the allegations made. Is he supposed to know that is a lie? Is he supposed to go on his own snooping spree and get to the bottom of it himself? Is he supposed to go down to the batcave and get geared up to fight crime with his superpowers?

Please.. i'd like to know exactly how he had the power to end it right then and there. Tell me how.