People who's the better receiver of D. Jarrett, D. Bowe, T. Ginn, and Robert Meachem?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Who would be your choice if you had to pick one and why. Show some real facts like statistics and links to your reasons why.

Dwayne Bowe
dbowe.jpg

Dwayne Jarrett
Jarrett.jpg

Tedd Ginn
ginn.jpg

Robert Meachem
234659897_fd74aa3976_o.jpg

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bowe > Meachem >>>> Ginn >>>>>>>>>> Jarrett

Statistically speaking I have Meachem ranked slightly ahead of Bowe, but I just like Bowe's aggressive nature, his ability to go over the middle and to block downfield. A guy that's willing to do those things that aren't represented in the stat lines deserves the edge in my opinion.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
theogt;1449657 said:

Statistically speaking I have Meachem ranked slightly ahead of Bowe, but I just like Bowe's aggressive nature, his ability to go over the middle and to block downfield. A guy that's willing to do those things that aren't represented in the stat lines deserves the edge in my opinion.

Not bad; Good point:bow:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Jarrett has proven to be the best of the 4 statistically, and that is with another top WR playing opposite him in Steve Smith.

Don't let the slow 40-time delude you as to his ability, the guy catches everything thrown his way, uses his body to shield the defender away from the ball, and runs good routes.

I would rank Bowe and Meachem 2a & 2b with Ginn taking the 4th spot. Ginn is probably never going to be a starting WR in the NFL but may turn out to be an excellent return man.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
theogt;1449657 said:

Sounds about right to me. Although I have Ginn and Meachem rated closer together, maybe two > at the most. But yeah, Bowe is tops and Jarrett is way way down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per Rick Gosselin........

1. Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech 6-5 239
2. Ted Ginn Jr. Ohio State 5-11 178
3. Robert Meachem Tennessee 6-1 214
4. Dwayne Bowe LSU 6-2 221
5. Dwayne Jarrett USC 6-4 219
6. Anthony Gonzalez Ohio State 6-0 193
7. Craig Davis LSU 6-1 207
8. Steve Smith USC 5-11½ 197
9. Sidney Rice South Carolina 6-3½ 200
10. Jason Hill Washington State 6-0½ 204

Which one would fit the best in our system? Ask Jeff Ireland and company.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson is the no doubt about it best player in this draft, not just the best WR. That makes him unique.

After him I think it depends on the team that is on the board thinking WR. For instance, I think Tennessee would lean towards Meachem because he's a Volunteer. I think Kansas City wouldn't look at Ted Ginn Jr. because they already have Dante Hall. I think San Francisco would look at Ginn Jr. because they also need help in returns.

For Dallas I would rank them like this.

1. Meachem, hands, speed, toughness, and above all great character. Becoming more vital to the Cowboys all the time.

2. Bowe, toughness, route running, and system he played in fits Dallas.

3. Jarrett, does the most important thing, he scores. His speed is fast enough that he makes whatever CB on him look bad. Don't be fooled.

4. Ginn Jr., the only reason I have him 4th is health issues a red flag, small size, and lack of need for return man at this point, though I admit the team may disagree.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hostile;1449672 said:
Calvin Johnson is the no doubt about it best player in this draft, not just the best WR. That makes him unique.

After him I think it depends on the team that is on the board thinking WR. For instance, I think Tennessee would lean towards Meachem because he's a Volunteer. I think Kansas City wouldn't look at Ted Ginn Jr. because they already have Dante Hall. I think San Francisco would look at Ginn Jr. because they also need help in returns.

1. Meachem, hands, speed, toughness, and above all great character. Becoming more vital to the Cowboys all the time.

3. Jarrett, does the most important thing, he scores. His speed is fast enough that he makes whatever CB on him look bad. Don't be fooled.

4. Ginn Jr., the only reason I have him 4th is health issues a red flag, small size, and lack of need for return man at this point, though I admit the team may disagree.

I agree with team needs... and as far as your list I might switch Jarrett and Ginn with Ginn being #3 on the cowboys board.

Reaction score
Jarrett is the big game big play receiver, he's 6'4 and has long strides so I really don't care about the 40 times. He can work on speed, ask Michigan, Notre Dame and Texas DB's how fast he is...everytime I looked he was past the defender scoring TD's. Me personally I like to see what players do against the elite players..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Hostile;1449672 said:

from what I've read about Meachem, toughness is the one thing people question about him...he has the skills, but there are questions about his willingness to go over the middle, to catch in traffic, and that he doesn't give much effort or show much desire to block. I think if meacham were considered a tough guy who would do those things, he'd stand totally alone as the #2 WR.

I look at it this way....if you just want a solid receiver who does a little of everything, but isn't considered special, wait for round 2. If you want to take a WR in round 1, then I want there to be something special about him.

Ted Gin JR is the biggest question mark with me because he is so small and hasn't really proven himself in college...I doubt his readiness for the big time, but if we drafted him, I'd be okay with it because he IS special in the speed and return category.

Everyone questions Jarrett's 40 time, but if no one ever ran a 40 time, I think he'd easily be the #2 guy on every board because he showed in the last half of the season that he runs great routes, reads defenses, runs away from guys on the field somehow, and has GREAT hands...he's special catching the ball and scoring in the red zone. He runs the slant in a way that reminds one of Irvin...he is a go to receiver on 3rd down.

Meacham has speed, but not Ginn speed. Bowe has size but not tremendous stats for a guy who's been with supposedly the best QB. They will both be good, but I don't see any part of their game as SPECIAL at this point in time.

I think if I was looking at Meacham or Bowe, I'd trade down a few spots in round 1....Frankly, I'm not sure that moving down and taking Steve Smith from USC wouldn't be a better idea....of course, I'm a USC homer, so take that with a grain of salt.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1449686 said:
Jarrett is the big game big play receiver, he's 6'4 and has long strides so I really don't care about the 40 times. He can work on speed, .

How exactly do you work on speed?

You don't care about his 40 times? Find me another all pro wr in the NFL with 4.6 speed. He's a possesion reciever pure and simple. You want to spend a 1st round pick on a possesion reciever? No thanks, I'll pass.

Jarrett was a good reciever on a GREAT team. USC's qb had 5 seconds to throw the ball everytime he dropped back. Of course Jarret can get open in 5 seconds against pac 10 teams. They can't even spell Defense out there.

In the NFL he'll get 2-3 seconds an the qb has to get rid of the ball. How much seperation do you think he can get in 2 seconds in the NFL?????

Jarrett is a bust waiting to happen. Someone get him a bus ticket with a seat next to Mike WIlliams.

I can't believe the posters on here that buy into the Jarrett hype.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kobe2jail;1449702 said:
How exactly do you work on speed?

You don't care about his 40 times? Find me another all pro wr in the NFL with 4.6 speed. He's a possesion reciever pure and simple. You want to spend a 1st round pick on a possesion reciever? No thanks, I'll pass.

Jarrett was a good reciever on a GREAT team. USC's qb had 5 seconds to throw the ball everytime he dropped back. Of course Jarret can get open in 5 seconds against pac 10 teams. They can't even spell Defense out there.

In the NFL he'll get 2-3 seconds an the qb has to get rid of the ball. How much seperation do you think he can get in 2 seconds in the NFL?????

Jarrett is a bust waiting to happen. Someone get him a bus ticket with a seat next to Mike WIlliams.

I can't believe the posters on here that buy into the Jarrett hype.
Actually there's a school right here in Tucson where they focus on it. Meachem trained here for the Combine and supposedly ran some times below 4.3. It can be done.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Hostile;1449703 said:
Actually there's a school right here in Tucson where they focus on it. Meachem trained here for the Combine and supposedly ran some times below 4.3. It can be done.

WHat was his time going into the school? I'll bet it wasn't 4.6

burmafrd

Reaction score
Jarrett will have a whole lot harder time getting open in the NFL. He will be facing CBs and Safeties faster then he is. He did not run into that in college much, if at all. That is one of the reasons so many big time WRs go bust in the NFL; they really do run into a whole magnitude better secondaries. And as was pointed out, the QB in the NFL pretty much never has 5 seconds to pick a WR to throw to. I think Jarrett could be the next Key; a very good possession WR but not a #1 WR.

Deputy493

Reaction score
To be honest, I really wouldn't be upset if we took any of those 4 WR's.....they all have their strengths and weaknesses.....the good thing is with TO, Glenn and Crayton they will be able to phase themselves into the NFL instead of being thrust into a starting role.........there are a number of ways and players Dallas could go with in this draft where I would not be upset.......it is not the normal draft year where I can weed it down to 2 or 3 players I want.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kobe2jail;1449708 said:
WHat was his time going into the school? I'll bet it wasn't 4.6
Who said it was? Faster is faster. It can be taught. Better mechanics in running, diet, resistance training. There are all kinds of things that can be done.

Deputy493

Reaction score
Boldin ran a high 4.6 and look at him,,,,,,,many give the excuse he was coming off a knee injury, really? He looked just fine in the Sugar Bowl played a month before the combine..........and I don't believe he has any other timed 40 yard dashes to disprove he really is faster than the 4.6 + (I think he ran one 4.7) that he ran leading up to his draft......plus when he ran those horrid times I do not recall anyone giving the knee injury excuse back then.

many of you guys have fallen into the trap of workout numbers outweighing production.......before any workouts how many here would say they would want Meachum or Bowe over Jarrett? My guess would be very few, if any.

Is Jarrett fast for a WR? No, but he makes up for it in his size advanatge he has over pretty much every DB and his football savy and skills........

Donte Stallworth flew up the boards when he ran a 4.3 at the combine, when based on his play in college he was a 2nd rounder at best.........and Stallworth has had a very hit and miss career, mostly miss.......don't fall in love with workout numbers.

Whereas a player like Zach Thomas fell way down to the 5th round, despite 1st round type production in college, because he was viewed as too slow, too small etc.......now how many pro bowls later do we all wish Dallas would've viewed him based on his production rather than physical stats and workout numbers?

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Hostile;1449736 said:
Who said it was? Faster is faster. It can be taught. Better mechanics in running, diet, resistance training. There are all kinds of things that can be done.

Hey! Where were you when I was.....................oh never mind.:cool:

thundercowboy

Reaction score
I'm wondering what Deputy sees in Donte' Stallworth that disappoints that I'm not seeing cause Dont'e is one fantastic receiver.

As far as who is better Meachem or Jarrett....they both put up some nice stats in college - Jarrett caught more passes in each season, but that could be because the other wide outs at USC sucked. Meachem went to Tenn. which is a team that I can respect. USC - I don't like 'em.