People who's the better receiver of D. Jarrett, D. Bowe, T. Ginn, and Robert Meachem?

mmillman

Reaction score
I haven't seen all of them play. Ginn gains the most separation but is not physical or polished. Can Jarret separate from pro CB's? I haven't seen much of Meachem or Bowe. I didn't like the looks of Bowe at the combine and Meachem has had one good year. Ginn is the most explosive so I lean toward him.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
1a. Ginn - The guy is dynamic in the sense of a young Joey Galloway. T.O. is the closest thing we have to a big play threat. In the open field, look out and lean closer to the TV because the show is about to begin. I'd like to see how his foot speed fares when he runs in four days. If he isn't sub 4.4, he'll fall to #2 on this list.

I do wonder how his receiving game will translate over though. His speed compensates for his lack of prototypical size so if his ankle isn't completely healed, one has to wonder how long it will take him to regain it (if ever).

1b. Meacham - Great speed, great hands, great character, connect the dots. If he's on the board with Ginn, it will be a back and forth match though Meacham's actual WR skills may be the difference maker.

2. Bowe - I wouldn't be disappointed at all with him. He's physical, good speed, aggressive, and played against elite competition in the SEC. I don't know if he'll be a star per se, but he's capable of putting up many years of 1,000 yard years.

3. Jarrett - I'd be satisfied with Jarrett as I believe people tend to get more hung up on his speed than anything. If he would have run .2 faster, he'd be top ten. He delivered time and time again for a powerhouse, great hands and is a threat in the red zone. I agree that he won't run away from anyone in the pros (despite the speed, he was able to in college mind you). I don't think he's Mike Williams part deux.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
masomenos85;1449663 said:
Sounds about right to me. Although I have Ginn and Meachem rated closer together, maybe two > at the most. But yeah, Bowe is tops and Jarrett is way way down.
The problem is that I don't have Ginn rated at all yet, statistically, so I was just going from "the gut" I guess you could say.

We'll see what happens after he runs this Thursday.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Avery;1449771 said:
1a. Ginn - The guy is dynamic in the sense of a young Joey Galloway. T.O. is the closest thing we have to a big play threat. In the open field, look out and lean closer to the TV because the show is about to begin. I'd like to see how his foot speed fares when he runs in four days. If he isn't sub 4.4, he'll fall to #2 on this list.

I do wonder how his receiving game will translate over though. His speed compensates for his lack of prototypical size so if his ankle isn't completely healed, one has to wonder how long it will take him to regain it (if ever).

1b. Meacham - Great speed, great hands, great character, connect the dots. If he's on the board with Ginn, it will be a back and forth match though Meacham's actual WR skills may be the difference maker.

2. Bowe - I wouldn't be disappointed at all with him. He's physical, good speed, aggressive, and played against elite competition in the SEC. I don't know if he'll be a star per se, but he's capable of putting up many years of 1,000 yard years.

3. Jarrett - I'd be satisfied with Jarrett as I believe people tend to get more hung up on his speed than anything. If he would have run .2 faster, he'd be top ten. He delivered time and time again for a powerhouse, great hands and is a threat in the red zone. I agree that he won't run away from anyone in the pros (despite the speed, he was able to in college mind you). I don't think he's Mike Williams part deux.

I'd put Meachem ahead of Ginn here, but we're thinking alike other than that. I wouldn't be distraught at the thought of any of these guys making our squad.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
THUMPER;1449662 said:
Jarrett has proven to be the best of the 4 statistically, and that is with another top WR playing opposite him in Steve Smith.

Don't let the slow 40-time delude you as to his ability, the guy catches everything thrown his way, uses his body to shield the defender away from the ball, and runs good routes.

I would rank Bowe and Meachem 2a & 2b with Ginn taking the 4th spot. Ginn is probably never going to be a starting WR in the NFL but may turn out to be an excellent return man.
I put very little emphasis on 40 time. It's the rest of his numbers that aren't impressive. His 10, 20, cone, shuttle are all terrible. Doug Free, a 320 lb. lineman, nearly ran as fast as Jarrett's cone (7.38 v. 7.28). That's bad.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Meacham - as an LSU fan, I regret saying it; but as an SEC fan, I have to agree that Meacham is the better overall receiver than Bowe.
2. Bowe - the third best all-around receiver in this draft after Johnson and Meacham
3. Ginn - no 1. breakaway threat at wide receiver in the draft, but is tied with Jarrett as the 4th best receiver imo.
4. Jarrett - younger Keyshawn Johnson clone, who was replaced last season by Owens. It the long-term, Meacham or Bowe would be a better replacement for Owens, imo.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
theogt;1449784 said:
I put very little emphasis on 40 time. It's the rest of his numbers that aren't impressive. His 10, 20, cone, shuttle are all terrible. Doug Free, a 320 lb. lineman, nearly ran as fast as Jarrett's cone (7.38 v. 7.28). That's bad.

And yet, he consistently gets open, makes the catch, and runs away from people. How do you explain it? To give the excuse that he did it against lesser competition is not accurate as he had some of his best games in Bowl games or against top competition: Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, Cal, etc.

Regardless of how he came across in tests, he has consistently produced in games. I'll take that every time over workout warriors who can't come up big when it counts.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Meachem is probably the safest pick but Ginn seems like the greatest gmable with the greatest upside if it pays off.

Jake0

Reaction score
When I rank the receivers, I'd rank them as who would be the best for us. We don't need an immediate contributer so it's best to get the receiver with the best upside. I also think that the big, tough receivers are easier to find i.e. Colston later on and there's generally more of them around in the draft as opposed to a fast guy that is also a good receiver.

1. Ginn - He's clearly not the best receiver of the 4 RIGHT NOW, but we're fine at WR now and this ranking is about the Cowboys, we're drafting for the future and Ginn has tremendous upside. He's shown he's a great receiver in college and isn't just a Dante Hall that is a return guy only. Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, etc. There's plenty of gamebreaking receivers that are around Ginn's size and with a year learning from T.O. and Glenn, he can learn the game and turn into an all around receiver with near world class speed you can't teach. Can return punts so TNew doesn't put himself at risk (if he gets a serious injury we're DONE) and give us an immediate deep threat on multi-wr sets when he's brought in so he's still of good use his first year. So he's of good use his first year and also is a long term project, which is exactly what we're looking for right now if you ask me.

2. Meachem - I wouldn't be angry if we got him, he has tremendous upside as well. Could very well be a better receiver than Ginn becomes, but we are looking to win a championship next year and Ginn just brings more to the table for OUR team. If we were a team that needed an immediate contribution at WR then I would rate Ginn probably 3rd and Meachem 1st.

3. Bowe - If we took Bowe over either Ginn or Meachem I would probably be a bit skeptical about it but not too angry. He's solid but I just don't see his upside being as great as Ginn or Meachem's and like Meachem, he wouldn't beable to do much in his first year barring a big injury to T.O. or Glenn. The LSU thing scares the hell outa me as well, no more LSU draft picks for the Cowboys please.

4. Jarrett - Really would prefer not to get this guy. If the 40 time is slow and the cone drills are fast it means the player is much more agile than he is fast, but he's just none of the above. I don't see it working out in the NFL, possession receiver at best and a good red zone threat is all. Just not someone I'd spend a first rounder on. Hard to argue against production, but to me there's usually more behind the numbers and if I was on a draft team it's something I'd definitely look into.

lspain1

Reaction score
Jake0;1449822 said:
When I rank the receivers, I'd rank them as who would be the best for us.
1. Ginn
2. Meachem
3. Bowe
4. Jarrett

I don't claim to be an expert but I like your thinking Jake. The draft is a crapshoot (particularly late in round 1) so you look for players who have a lot of upside if they pay off. I think the Cowboys should gamble for the upside given the situation they are in this season.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;1449703 said:
Actually there's a school right here in Tucson where they focus on it. Meachem trained here for the Combine and supposedly ran some times below 4.3. It can be done.

Which is exactly why i dont like Jarrett. It is very apprent that he didnt make the effort to improve his 40 time via one of those schools. urlacher improved by .2 seconds for example. Jarrett just didnt care and that combined with talk of attitude issues just makes me completely uninterested.

Of all the types of fcharacter concerns this is the most distressing.

I also know that people dont like the Mike Williams comparisons but you have to take it into consideration. They were both the same type of receiver in Carroll's system. To ignore Williams failure to translate that to the NFL is folly.

Finally with that slow speed hes not going to force very much of a cushion and free safties and cover2 MLB will be able to easily keep up with him. You dont draft possession WRs in the first.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1449688 said:
I look at it this way....if you just want a solid receiver who does a little of everything, but isn't considered special, wait for round 2.

I think if I was looking at Meacham or Bowe, I'd trade down a few spots in round 1....Frankly, I'm not sure that moving down and taking Steve Smith from USC wouldn't be a better idea....of course, I'm a USC homer, so take that with a grain of salt.

I really think that this is more likely for us to do. I think Dallas is looking at getting someone like Steve Smith out of USC or maybe Gonzales out of OSU in round 2 (even with a little move up in the second) and going a different position in round 1.

I feel like CB, S, OL or Pass Rusher in round 1 is the way we end up going and taking one of the solid, little downside WR's like Smith or Gonzales in round 2.

I just feel like that is more Jerry and Ireland's thinking. Remember, a WR brought in this year likely won't be a starter. Jerry likes his first rounders to compete for a starting position. His second rounders can work their way in though and that's what either one of those two solid second round WR's would do.

I just think that we don't go WR in round 1.

Tristan

Reaction score
#1 Tedd Ginn Jr.
If you really watched this guy develop over the last few years, you would see that he is much more than a deep threat/kick returner.

Ginn has been a dynamic playmaker since the day he stepped on the field. He impacts the game in so many ways, Defenses are constantly aware and fearful of his every move. Nobody creates more for his offensive teamates than Ginn, defenses must back off and respect his ability, this opens up the running game and creates openings for the other WR's.

He caught balls all over the field, he was deadly at quick drop off passes, and caught clutch passes going accross the middle, especially in the end zone. He can put on ten lbs. easily IMO. His hands are actually bigger than Calvin Johnsons!.

He is the most dynamic football player of the bunch, I doubt he will be available at our pick, but I have no doubt that he could have the biggest impact for our team from day one.

#2 Dwayne Jarrett
May not have the immidiate impact of Ginn, but this kid is a playmaker in every sense of the word. Like Irvin, he does not need five yards of seperation too make the play. Covered or not, give him the ball and he will come down with it.

Jarrett has produced consistently, and most importantly is at his best in the biggest games, against the best competition, and on the crucial play. If you have forth and 15, and the game is on the line, theres nobody you would rather have than Jarrett.

Jarrett will be moving the chains, making the clutch third down, and scoring the big TD for many years. He is the guy that is capable of dominating a game. I take this playmaker on my team every day of the week.

I wouldn't be upset with Meachem, Bowe or Rice for that matter, but if we can't get Ginn or Jarrett than I prefer to go DB, OLB/DE or OL with our first pick. Ginn and Jarret have proved their abilities game after game, year in year out, If I'm spending a first, I wan't a long track record of success.

My Board...(realistic options)
#1 Ginn Jr.
#2 Jarrett
#3 Moss
#4 Ross
#5 Nelson
#6 Houston
#7 Staley
#8 Merriweather
#9 Blalock
#10 Grubbs

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by "best"

The receiver who will have the greatest impact next year of those listed is easily Ginn, simply because he's the best kick returner to come out since Desmond Howard

The receiver who will be the best in the long run is Jarrett IMO

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1449669 said:
Per Rick Gosselin........

1. Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech 6-5 239
2. Ted Ginn Jr. Ohio State 5-11 178
3. Robert Meachem Tennessee 6-1 214
4. Dwayne Bowe LSU 6-2 221
5. Dwayne Jarrett USC 6-4 219
6. Anthony Gonzalez Ohio State 6-0 193
7. Craig Davis LSU 6-1 207
8. Steve Smith USC 5-11½ 197
9. Sidney Rice South Carolina 6-3½ 200
10. Jason Hill Washington State 6-0½ 204

Which one would fit the best in our system? Ask Jeff Ireland and company.

Antony Gonzalez.....intelligent, hard working, lives and breathes football, a workout warrior, runs good routes, excellent hands, fast, quick, sells out for the catch, durable, great teammate, can play inside or out. Also, from what I understand he has nice sized hands as well......the only real knock on the guy is his height...but he is still 6'

Steve Smith......he is like a smaller Cris Carter....he isn't the greatest athlete out there, but all he does is catch everything you throw at him.

Tristan

Reaction score
H.H. 31, I agree completely.

Ginn would be Dynamite from day one. Jarrett might need some time to progress like he did at USC, but once he does, I think he will be capable of dominating week in week out.

These two are really the only W.R.'s I wan't in the first. I just don't see "special" in the others, I see "potential"

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
ginn.jpg

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
kobe2jail;1449708 said:
WHat was his time going into the school? I'll bet it wasn't 4.6
There was a receiver in a recent draft, maybe even this one, that I read went from 4.6s to 4.3s in a matter of month or two of training. I wish I could remember where I read it, but you'll see those stories quite a bit.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;1449849 said:
Antony Gonzalez.....intelligent, hard working, lives and breathes football, a workout warrior, runs good routes, excellent hands, fast, quick, sells out for the catch, durable, great teammate, can play inside or out. Also, from what I understand he has nice sized hands as well......the only real knock on the guy is his height...but he is still 6'

Steve Smith......he is like a smaller Cris Carter....he isn't the greatest athlete out there, but all he does is catch everything you throw at him.

Neither of those guys has the ability to be a quality #1 in the NFL IMO, they just lack the talent