Per Fisher: Opinions inside the Star split on Dak's financial value

FanofJerry

Reaction score
QB contracts have forced teams to make decisions they haven't had to make in the past. It is true, if Dak leaves he might get $60 million somewhere else. Look at what Cleveland handed Watson. But every team is different and has different CAP situations. The Cowboys have CeeDee and Micah, two top players at other positions who will get paid near the top for their positions. How do you pay Dak $60 million, CeeDee close to $30 million and Micah probably somewhere in the same ball park? That is a lot of money to dedicate to 3 players.

The bigger problem is how these contracts are structured. They make the first year or two CAP friendly and the last years not friendly at all. Look at Dak this year, and he has $40 million in voidable years too. If Dak signs for $60 million chances are the last year or two of his deal will mean a CAP hit close to $90 million.

Also, Dak is making $40 million per year on his current contract. $60 million is a 50% increase over that. Has he played that well that he deserves a 50% salary increase? Give him $45 million and add incentives if he win playoff games and a Super Bowl.
I agree with your post. The league owners have to come together on how to deal with high level QBs that hit the market or are about to. You cant have one trailblazer and all the other guys fighting to pay Brock Purdy whatever he wants to come to their team. Every owner will have to be on board with how to deal with QB market prices and all stick to the plan.

Is there not a Bird Rights type of situation that can be employed for QB's only? I assume that would conflict with bargaining agreement somehow.

Anyway...my main point is...which QB is taking heavy incentives for winning a Super Bowl? Dak didnt allow 250 rushing yard to GB in one half. You cant have a team stat for individual player incentive. It makes no sense. Which is why GM's pay non-SB-winning QBs a lot of money...because there is more than just QB play involved in winning games.

I dont get why this board insists on team stats to define a player. It has to be by design to frustrate because it makes no sense otherwise.

A more realistic incentive would be getting very wordy and come down to lawyers being involved...but something like if in a Super Bowl and a QB is down 5 or more points going into the 3rd or 4th quarter and completes 75% of at least 20 passes that are in the air for longer than 5 yards at a time and the team wins....the QB gets a very large production bonus. But...then the QB can argue that the passing scheme was not in his favor or the QB can only target WR's that help him get his bonus. Or the running game or defense is the real game winner for the team but the QB gets a large bonus. It gets complicated.

Everyone wants free markets but they dont agree with it in regards to NFL QB salary....yet all these same people complaining would be lining up to pay Purdy whatever he wanted if he was gettable. Its a complete contradiction.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if that’s the plan then trade him now to get value, or let him walk for nothing. You could get something like 7 overall from Las Vegas
Some team will pay him enough in FA to get a 3rd round comp pick.
Let him play out the year. If they get to the SB with a team we are waiting to see how it is put together. Then they may meet his $60 million or more a year.
If not they can let him test the money in FA. They can get a 3rd round pick for a player they selected late 4th, which was really a mid to late 5th if you take into account the added comp picks. And got 9 years out of him.

However, I would be ok if he accepts a trade, and we start over with Lance, or a drafted QB.

bewp7

Reaction score
well at lest there is some people in the organization with a brain who know dak is a bum

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But if that’s the plan then trade him now to get value, or let him walk for nothing. You could get something like 7 overall from Las Vegas
Dak's NTC, the number of potential 1st Rd draft picks, the lack of competing teams that'll be willing to trade decent draft capital for one year......and Dak doesn't want to play in, say, Boston for a no-hope 12 months all say Dak's playing out the contract.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Don’t believe Fisher.

There is NOBODY that believes Dak is worth 60 mil a year.
Oh the hell there aren't! Haven't you been reading some of his fan's posts? If it was up to them Dak deserves even more money than that, not because he is a good QB it's because, well, it's Dak they love.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Some team will pay him enough in FA to get a 3rd round comp pick.
Let him play out the year. If they get to the SB with a team we are waiting to see how it is put together. Then they may meet his $60 million or more a year.
If not they can let him test the money in FA. They can get a 3rd round pick for a player they selected late 4th, which was really a mid to late 5th if you take into account the added comp picks. And got 9 years out of him.

However, I would be ok if he accepts a trade, and we start over with Lance, or a drafted QB.
Part of the problem with that though is compe picks are determined by plus/minus. Meaning that if you bring in free agents it can negate the pick you’d get. I’d imagine with how quiet Dallas was this year and if you let Dak go, you’d bring in a bunch of talent to offset that third

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dak's NTC, the number of potential 1st Rd draft picks, the lack of competing teams that'll be willing to trade decent draft capital for one year......and Dak doesn't want to play in, say, Boston for a no-hope 12 months all say Dak's playing out the contract.
Raiders were my thought. 7th overall pick in trade, have Davante Adams, maxx Crosby… they could make the playoffs with dak

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I vaguely recall Cousins wanted to test free agency market anyways and didn’t want to play for the Commanders anymore.
No way they were going to tag him 3rd time. They screwed up when they refused to make him a fair offer after his rookie deal. He was very candid about his refusal to play for the Commander after the 2nd tag. He didn't like Bruce Allen ......made it clear he would take less money to sign with another team than with the Commanders.

As you know they are still trying to fix the position..........

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Raiders were my thought. 7th overall pick in trade, have Davante Adams, maxx Crosby… they could make the playoffs with dak
I also see the Raiders as one of only good fits for all concerned....however we'd want the no.7 pick, they'd probably baulk.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I was thinking the Vikes........they now have two 1st rounders. Their star WR, Jefferson has already turned down $30M to sign. They may have to give up another 1st ( 2025 ) into the top 5. GM and Head Coach are facing some pressure to win now, both contracts expire after the 2025 season.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Oh the hell there aren't! Haven't you been reading some of his fan's posts? If it was up to them Dak deserves even more money than that, not because he is a good QB it's because, well, it's Dak they love.
My bad, I should’ve said nobody that matters believes Dak is worth 60 mil a year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of the problem with that though is compe picks are determined by plus/minus. Meaning that if you bring in free agents it can negate the pick you’d get. I’d imagine with how quiet Dallas was this year and if you let Dak go, you’d bring in a bunch of talent to offset that third
History shows that will not happen. :laugh:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And how did those teams do last year??
Only lamars team made playoffs and got to the afc champ game.

It is counter productive to pay a qb that much. Only mahomes is worth the 50 mil .
It doesn't matter. They still paid their quarterbacks as all teams that believe they have a franchise quarterback do. The only time they move on from them is when they absolutely think they are done, and they don't reach that conclusion easily. For example, the Giants gave Daniel Jones and four-year, $160 million extension last year even though it has been clear for years that he's not the answer. Some would probably be willing to accept that deal if it was offered to Dak, but expecting Dallas to offer something similar to him is not realistic IMO because his numbers are quite a bit better and he was in the MVP race that year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Again the question is who is gonna pay that. It reminds me of the Lamar Jackson situation. Nobody was willing to bid on him.
With Jackson, the Ravens could have match any offer sheet because he was under the non-exclusive tag, knee injuries had cut short Jackson's 2021 and 2022 seasons, he didn't use an agent and he was seeking a big, fully guaranteed deal. He's an outlier.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
No way they were going to tag him 3rd time. They screwed up when they refused to make him a fair offer after his rookie deal. He was very candid about his refusal to play for the Commander after the 2nd tag. He didn't like Bruce Allen ......made it clear he would take less money to sign with another team than with the Commanders.

As you know they are still trying to fix the position..........
Could have drafted Herbert instead of Chase Young. They tried to fix the position, but did it badly.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Do you remember why he was given the non-exclusive tag? Lamar was demanding a Watson-like 100% guaranteed contract and wasn't willing to be flexible and coz of this, several teams lost interest. Here's why Blank said the Falcons didn't sign him........ My point is, comparing Dak's situation ( no one would bid on him ) to Lamar's isn't the same. Dak won't be asking for a fully guaranteed contract.

Jackson’s agent denied that rumor but if your Jackson you gonna take less the Watson. Dak feels the same way about Herbert and Jackson. The NFL cap went up 35 million. The quarterback has ask for the moon as a free agent. That is how it works.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Before start of last year, he looked like another running QB who can't stay healthy and might need more work on the pass game. Wins the MVP and takes his team to the conference championship and were legit SB contenders the whole way. Kudos to him. He bet on himself and won.
Yeah but he pooped the bed against KC. They should have won that game.