Per Fisher: Opinions inside the Star split on Dak's financial value

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lamar had NO AGENT. He represented himself, unlike Dak. They probably thought, since he didn’t have an experienced agent, he would screw himself up. He didn’t. He won.
Both the Ravens and Lamar one. That contract gave the Ravens flexibility to sign guys. That is why their team was so deep last season. That contract is going to cost them soon.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jackson’s agent denied that rumor but if your Jackson you gonna take less the Watson. Dak feels the same way about Herbert and Jackson. The NFL cap went up 35 million. The quarterback has ask for the moon as a free agent. That is how it works.
Right. The prices just keep going up and up with the cap. Teams generally pay them because the only other choice is to start over in your search for a franchise QB. Finding one is not easy or teams wouldn't pay the price.

I don't know what Dallas and the market will ultimately determine Dak's value is. I do know if he gets in the mid-$50s up, many fans on here will be outraged, but it will be what the market says that he's worth. Fans often accuse the Joneses of overpaying (and maybe sometimes they do), but they are just playing the same financial game other teams are playing.

Not saying I want Dallas to pay him a contract averaging $60M per year, it is just going to be close to the market value for a franchise QB with his numbers and at his age. Unless, of course, owners decide enough is enough, like they did with the RB position ... unfortunately, after the Elliott contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Oh the hell there aren't! Haven't you been reading some of his fan's posts? If it was up to them Dak deserves even more money than that, not because he is a good QB it's because, well, it's Dak they love.
Star......there's not a poster here that has said Dak deserves $60M. (that I know of ) You know this ..........why make up this kind of stuff.

ghst187

Reaction score
Well he’s worth 60m to Jerry and Stephen because Dallas will be good enough to win some games and sell tickets just not playoffs
To the staff he’s not worth half that cuz he can’t win in the playoffs.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Right. The prices just keep going up and up with the cap. Teams generally pay them because the only other choice is to start over in your search for a franchise QB. Finding one is not easy or teams wouldn't pay the price.

I don't know what Dallas and the market will ultimately determine Dak's value is. I do know if he gets in the mid-$50s up, many fans on here will be outraged, but it will be what the market says that he's worth. Fans often accuse the Joneses of overpaying (and maybe sometimes they do), but they are just playing the same financial game other teams are playing.

Not saying I want Dallas to pay him a contract averaging $60M per year, it is just going to be close to the market value for a franchise QB with his numbers and at his age. Unless, of course, owners decide enough is enough, like they did with the RB position ... unfortunately, after the Elliott contract.
You are right although a portion of our fans will riot if Dak signed the same contract he got in 2021. Dak would only sign an extension that averages 60 APY and probably 230 million in guarantees. Like you said earlier that is the going rate. France has to sell this to get other clients.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Immediately fire those in the 60M camp. They are a detriment to the team.
So GMs at Kansas City, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Chargers, Rams, soon to be Green Bay and others are all idiots. Think not, lit is about winning your division 1st and making the playoffs and hope you are the hot team especially running the ball and a defense that can stop the run to just maybe make the Super Bowl.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. They still paid their quarterbacks as all teams that believe they have a franchise quarterback do. The only time they move on from them is when they absolutely think they are done, and they don't reach that conclusion easily. For example, the Giants gave Daniel Jones and four-year, $160 million extension last year even though it has been clear for years that he's not the answer. Some would probably be willing to accept that deal if it was offered to Dak, but expecting Dallas to offer something similar to him is not realistic IMO because his numbers are quite a bit better and he was in the MVP race that year.
I see your point, and yes that is the prevailing mentality.
But look at the giants, they had some luck made playoffs and won a game, then got blown out and dominated by a real contender.
So they were far away from being a SB team. I can see where they might think they are close though.

Dak makes playoffs 3 years in a row, to somelike jerry thinks they are close but they are not, in fact not even close.

Baltimore, they are close, but still was the wrong move to pay lamar as much as they did. A team with a good defense
can get by with a QB that isnt a star runner like lamar. But again they thought they were close, and they are close, just not close enough to
compete with KC.

Herbert, again good qb but they are far away from making a run lol. so why pay a qb that much?

2 teams did it a different way, they loaded the team with good FA, and had great teams no qb , or one they didnt want.
They both had good coaches in place, THEN they got a new qb and won the SB that same year.
The rams who got Stafford. and TB who got Brady.

A team needs to have good coaches first, then a good defense, and offense like OL WR , Then get a QB that costs alot.
If you are paying the qb market price, you cant build a team good enough, or you only have a short 1-2 year window.
If you have stupid HC and staff, then it doesnt matter what kind of team or qb you have.

Unless lol both SB teams have stupid HC and staff lol, so then it is up to players.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
some of his teammates mothers and brother got a vote and voted him off the island.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So GMs at Kansas City, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Chargers, Rams, soon to be Green Bay and others are all idiots. Think not, lit is about winning your division 1st and making the playoffs and hope you are the hot team especially running the ball and a defense that can stop the run to just maybe make the Super Bowl.
None of those teams have paid anyone $60 million. What are you talking about?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We are now reporting Fish speculation as factual?

lol
I can tell you dont watch the fish show, his show like most is just his opinion and based on what he sees and hears.
Most of it is as accurate as a person can be.
He usually is pretty good.

The last one said it isnt smart to let dak go and get nothing in return. So try to trade him and get something.
He didnt like the do more with less idea. cant be done.
He said if they are going to extend him they should have dont it before FA started, and try to then get 1 or 2 top tier guys.
All those are gone, so it is going to be a lesser team this year, which kinda wastes the year.

Unless the cowboys are tanking. and if so can they do that good enough to get the # 1 or 2 pick?

That is fish talking, and it all makes sense to me. I like his show. you have to get used to his presentation style, but he is better than all the others.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You are right although a portion of our fans will riot if Dak signed the same contract he got in 2021. Dak would only sign an extension that averages 60 APY and probably 230 million in guarantees. Like you said earlier that is the going rate. France has to sell this to get other clients.
I don't know if it will end up at 60. Might end up at 55. Of course, Dak's side is going to be publicly saying 60 while the Cowboys front office will be saying how it has to consider all the other contracts before they meet somewhere between 52 and 60 and each declares victory.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I see your point, and yes that is the prevailing mentality.
But look at the giants, they had some luck made playoffs and won a game, then got blown out and dominated by a real contender.
So they were far away from being a SB team. I can see where they might think they are close though.

Dak makes playoffs 3 years in a row, to somelike jerry thinks they are close but they are not, in fact not even close.

Baltimore, they are close, but still was the wrong move to pay lamar as much as they did. A team with a good defense
can get by with a QB that isnt a star runner like lamar. But again they thought they were close, and they are close, just not close enough to
compete with KC.

Herbert, again good qb but they are far away from making a run lol. so why pay a qb that much?

2 teams did it a different way, they loaded the team with good FA, and had great teams no qb , or one they didnt want.
They both had good coaches in place, THEN they got a new qb and won the SB that same year.
The rams who got Stafford. and TB who got Brady.

A team needs to have good coaches first, then a good defense, and offense like OL WR , Then get a QB that costs alot.
If you are paying the qb market price, you cant build a team good enough, or you only have a short 1-2 year window.
If you have stupid HC and staff, then it doesnt matter what kind of team or qb you have.

Unless lol both SB teams have stupid HC and staff lol, so then it is up to players.
Both of those teams had franchise QBs that they gave up on and replaced. I would have been glad for Dallas to have given up on Dak and tried Brady because of his track record, but this team follows the norm when it comes to franchise QBs. I don't expect that to change.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if it will end up at 60. Might end up at 55. Of course, Dak's side is going to be publicly saying 60 while the Cowboys front office will be saying how it has to consider all the other contracts before they meet somewhere between 52 and 60 and each declares victory.
I don’t know if the Cowboys could sell that to the fan base after 3 disaster playoff performances but Dak’s side would probably take $55 million as long as the guarantees are at $225 million.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dak will never win a big playoff game so isn’t his value 0 if you want to win a Super Bowl. Would any team pay him $50+ million? I can’t see it happening. I hope Jerry and the dumb son are not bidding against themselves.
Well 35 yr old Kurt Cousins with a ruptured achilles and exactly 1 career playoff win got $45 a year from the Falcons.

Dak is 5 yrs younger and fairly durable (has started 88% of available games since being drafted).

Not a huge stretch of the imagination to think he could get $5 million a year more than Cousins, so yeah, I think Dak could get around $50 a year from somebody.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Both of those teams had franchise QBs that they gave up on and replaced. I would have been glad for Dallas to have given up on Dak and tried Brady because of his track record, but this team follows the norm when it comes to franchise QBs. I don't expect that to change.
yeah I wanted brady, but they didnt even talk to him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. They still paid their quarterbacks as all teams that believe they have a franchise quarterback do. The only time they move on from them is when they absolutely think they are done, and they don't reach that conclusion easily. For example, the Giants gave Daniel Jones and four-year, $160 million extension last year even though it has been clear for years that he's not the answer. Some would probably be willing to accept that deal if it was offered to Dak, but expecting Dallas to offer something similar to him is not realistic IMO because his numbers are quite a bit better and he was in the MVP race that year.
Jones was imo better than dak in 2022. Went as far in the playoffs as dak, and was the reason they won many of their games.
Jones has had really bad HC's and roster to work with his whole time there. He has been wasted with giants imo.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If any of these QBs were playing in Dallas, outside maybe Hurts, they would have won a SB by now or competed for one.
That is pure speculation, and it is possible.

But , I dont think any qb aside from mahomes could overcome MM and Jones boys.