News: Per PFT- Momentum between Cowboys, Ezekiel Elliott stalls

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Just wanted to comment on this part. He didn't get a "very large deal to start." The rookie salary structure holds down the value of those contracts and really screws over players like Zeke, who would have made much much more if it weren't in place. In the last CBA, the players sold out top incoming rookies to get more salary cap money for veterans.

I would consider a $17m signing bonus to be pretty significant. In net dollars he has been paid more than 21 million dollars in three years. That makes him like #7 in net pay for running backs over the time period...all on a rookie deal. That isnt chump change.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'd argue it has moved solidly into the entertainment category. Obviously still has a sport component, but the entertainment aspect is more important now.

All sports are entertainment. You show me a sport no one wants to watch, and I’ll show you a sport that won’t last past the people participating.

windjc

Reaction score
A lot of them are without knowing if it is true or not. Some see every contract as ruining the cap, while others don't think they do. I'm in the camp of those who think that the cap is malleable from season to season because of things like restructuring, which is now built into every big contract.

Regardless, the future doesn't really matter. We've seen plenty of futures get dashed by injury, losing key players in free agency, etc. One Super Bowl now for me is worth wallowing in the mud for several seasons in a future that might have gone unfulfilled regardless. I'd rather go all in on a Super Bowl run every so often then watch as we try to build toward a Super Bowl over the long term while losing the building blocks to attrition.
That's a valid point. However, I actually think Zeke might not be the best thing for us in the beginning of the season. I think the office is TOO Zeke centric. I think if our two back system can fill in and our OC can use EVERYBODY on the offense, it would make us more dynamic. I do NOT think we will ever win a superbowl with a 90's style run first and at all costs attitude. I am not sold that Zeke's win over replacement value is very high. I'd rather him come in mid season and ADD to the offense we have already established.

TheHerd

Reaction score
All sports are entertainment. You show me a sport no one wants to watch, and I’ll show you a sport that won’t last past the people participating.
Agreed, but tht league was once sports first and entertainment second. That has reversed. You can disagree of course. It just seems more contrived than a decade ago.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

Spoiled brat and all those that enabled him for his whole life expect Jerry to cave any minute now because no one says no to Zeke. The team, meanwhile, is looking for team Zeke to give in a little on structure and clauses since they came up to the money demands.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/02/momentum-between-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-stalls/

Momentum between Cowboys, Ezekiel Elliott stalls

Just when it seemed likely that Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott‘s holdout would last into the regular season, the pendulum began to swing the other way on Saturday. By Sunday, the pendulum slowed down, considerably.

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reports that, while talks continued on Sunday afternoon, “Dallas is frustrated with the last exchange.”

“After Saturday’s momentum, Cowboys expected more compromise to get a deal done today,” Robinson reports. “Didn’t happen, so it’s on to Monday and a hopeful reset.”

That update from Robinson came after he reported on Saturday that the two sides are “close to completing” a contract extension. That was a stronger version of the Adam Schefter tweet that indicated talks “are intensifying,” with the goal of getting a new deal done “this weekend.”

The Labor Day holiday means the weekend isn’t technically over, which gives the two sides one more day to wear white and/or to see if one side or the other will wave the white flag of the final capitulation that gets a deal done in time for Elliott to join the Cowboys for Week One against the Giants.

I was skeptical on the reports that "they've agreed on money, now it's just other terms". "Just". Dollars don't mean anything without the precise terms for those dollars.

You can incrementally tweak and compromise dollars to get to a deal. Hard to incrementally tweak and compromise on terms of a deal. Terms first, dollars second.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I saw where the Saints cut Jacquizz Rodgers, I wonder if there were any other significant cuts at RB. I honestly believe that running behind our line is better than a lot of other teams offensive lines.

A smart RB looking for work would *pay us* to get behind our oline against the teams we have coming up. We could make an out of work RB a *lot* of money.