Per Talkin Cowboys - Hill barely made the team plane

slick325

Reaction score
Some people have to learn the hard way. Negative reinforcement is also an effective teaching method.

All jokes aside, I think Clarence Hill reporting the "regressing" remarks from the DL Coach/DC, is just that. Using negative reinforcement to motivate or teach Trysten Hill.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But Marinelli had him sign a contract promising he would always give 110%!!!!

How stupid is that

I hate those kinds of contracts. What was he supposed to do, not sign?

Jerry should have Marinelli sign his own contract promising to give 110%.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
People laugh when Garrett says this but it’s really true you need players that love football. Hill probably fell out of love with football at UCF and just said whatever he needed to to get drafted to get his $.

a rookie contract is still life changing money for 98% of the world if you don’t blow it

You get called out in the media for 2 incidents of laziness and you STILL are late. Either he wants to be cut or he has altitude issues of not understanding
Closer to 99.95% of the world.

And it is true for any career. If you don't love it, you will fail.

Could also be other factors. He's only 21. Heck, I started posting on here when I was 14 lol. I'm not writing him off yet. Last thing someone that age needs is a media circus, disappointed that this got out to the press. Should just keep him inactive and out of sight for the season, see if he develops in the off-season. Public humiliation isn't going to make him a better player, will only further the negatives.

coult44

Reaction score
Mickey (yes the one who praises all things Cowboy), said on yesterday’s Talkin Cowboys that Trysten barely got to the team plane in time.

That along with the thread about Marinelli saying he’s regressing, he’s got a lot of work to do to make the team next year.

I wish he’d go Jermaine Whitehead on somebody so Jerry wouldn’t have to even think about letting him stick around.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
giphy.gif

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He has an unusual burst off the line and has the ability to angle himself to hit that first gap to get through.
That's what he does well and he's uniquely well at doing that.
It's after that moment that kills everything.
And when he doesn't succeed at squeaking through his gap...

And it shows up every once in a while.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
he is bordering on getting the Dwayne Harris treatment. Dallas cut harris because of his laziness his rookie year then put him on the practice squad. They then brought him back late in the year and he returned a kick to help win at philly and made a couple of big returns vs Washington to help win that game.

No way! You mean Jason Garrett cut a guy to make an example and teach a lesson? I've been told around here that never happens and all he does is clap.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't start with a poor work ethic. The cowboys should remove such players from their draft board.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
he is bordering on getting the Dwayne Harris treatment. Dallas cut harris because of his laziness his rookie year then put him on the practice squad. They then brought him back late in the year and he returned a kick to help win at philly and made a couple of big returns vs Washington to help win that game.

Maybe we should.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
My biggest beef with Hill is more when he was taken than the player itself. To me one of the Safeties was a glaring need and we literally minus Joseph had the pick of the litter.

Hill struck me as a questionable player that was easily going to be around later. I think they reached and thought they fleeced the league. But ended up with Taco 2.0 but as a defensive tackle instead of an end. The fact that he was our defacto first round pick too makes it even more important to hit on that pick. We didn’t. Not so far anyway. It doesn’t look like it is trending in the right direction to improve either

conner01

Reaction score
hindsight is 20/20, it’s not like DT wasn’t an equal position of need. Obviously we thought his attitude wasn’t going to be a problem and right now he’s not living up to his word. We’ve had less draft misses the past 10 years than pretty much every other team though so what’s your point?
We’ve done well but with our biggest two misses of late we put aside questions of commitment to the game
To me that’s really as important as talent and is probably the most important factor in a players development

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
his coaches didnt like him,he was benched as a starter.That should have been a big red flag but we drafted him because Marinelli thought he could coach him up.
There is an element of grandiosity in him that Jerry can relate with, IMO. They seem to actually like players with baggage. They either try to put a leash on them or throw money at them. Maybe they need a team psychiatrist. Or, perhaps a different approach to drafting, like telling Marinelli to shut up.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
as I have said in other posts they need to keep Marinelli out of the draft room and let the scouts pick the players the old man don't know what he is doing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest beef with Hill is more when he was taken than the player itself. To me one of the Safeties was a glaring need and we literally minus Joseph had the pick of the litter.

Hill struck me as a questionable player that was easily going to be around later. I think they reached and thought they fleeced the league. But ended up with Taco 2.0 but as a defensive tackle instead of an end. The fact that he was our defacto first round pick too makes it even more important to hit on that pick. We didn’t. Not so far anyway. It doesn’t look like it is trending in the right direction to improve either

Here's something else that bothers me. The Cowboys don't even seem to have a solid strategy and plan in place. They passed on the opportunity to sign several free agent defensive tackles, notably Gerald McCoy, choosing instead to go this route, and stick by paying Crawford $10 million.

They also decided against drafting their pick of safety in the 2nd round of the draft.

And what's happened in the meantime? Hill has busted to this point, and then the Cowboys look into trading away a future 1st rounder to the Jets, for what position? Of yeah, safety. The very same one that they disregarded just a few months ago.

Exactly what sort of a plan is that?

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Here's something else that bothers me. The Cowboys don't even seem to have a solid strategy and plan in place. They passed on the opportunity to sign several free agent defensive tackles, notably Gerald McCoy, choosing instead to go this out, and stick by paying Crawford $10 million.

They also decided against drafting their pick of safety in the 2nd round of the draft.

And what's happened in the meantime? Hill has busted to this point, and then the Cowboys look into trading away a future 1st rounder to the Jets, for what position? Of yeah, safety. The very same one that they disregarded just a few months ago.

Excellent points. We think alike. I was watching a Panthers game recently and they we raving about the bargain McCoy was for them. He was everything the Cowboys expected Collins to be.

Crawford at his cap figure would have been like paying Terrance Williams or Hurns the salary Cooper deserves. I really don’t think this front office has a plan on defense. It flys by the seat of it’s pants until Rod comes in ranting about how some second rate player is the next Warren Sapp.

I don’t know why they don’t place more emphasis on the defensive line or safety. I mean it’s mind boggling to see the struggles year in and year out and then they want to shop in bargain bins and avoid drafting better obvious talent when it is there for the taking in the draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent points. We think alike. I was watching a Panthers game recently and they we raving about the bargain McCoy was for them. He was everything the Cowboys expected Collins to be.

Crawford at his cap figure would have been like paying Terrance Williams or Hurns the salary Cooper deserves. I really don’t think this front office has a plan on defense. It flys by the seat of it’s pants until Rod comes in ranting about how some second rate player is the next Warren Sapp.

I don’t know why they don’t place more emphasis on the defensive line or safety. I mean it’s mind boggling to see the struggles year in and year out and then they want to shop in bargain bins and avoid drafting better obvious talent when it is there for the taking in the draft.

I put a lot of the blame on Marinelli. Under his watch, we have totally disregarded both safety and defensive tackle as well as missed signings and draft picks. Defensive line and safety have been a series of misses and opportunities not taken since he's been here.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's something else that bothers me. The Cowboys don't even seem to have a solid strategy and plan in place. They passed on the opportunity to sign several free agent defensive tackles, notably Gerald McCoy, choosing instead to go this route, and stick by paying Crawford $10 million.

“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” - Benjamin Franklin
I think Ben would have said to Marinelli:
“He that lies down with dogs, shall rise up with fleas.”