Percy's Stats on Dak

khiladi

Reaction score
Pre-draft scouting report:

Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

You can resort to these ‘vague’ stats that aren’t even precise in definitions all you want and don’t prove what your claiming they do, but everybody saw this year what the scouts saw throughout college.

1. He gets flustered easily and it severely impacts his play

2. His footwork is a mess and he can’t slide in the pocket. He goes through his progressions slowly and doesn’t anticipate and his WRs have to be open before he throws it. He doesn’t challenge the defense.

You can logically argue that the first point is pressure causing Dak to be affected, but the second point clearly is indicative of the fact HIS PLAY CREATES PRESSURE.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Pre-draft scouting report:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

You can resort to these ‘vague’ stats that aren’t even precise in definitions all you want and don’t prove what your claiming they do, but everybody saw this year what the scouts saw throughout college.

1. He gets flustered easily and it severely impacts his play

2. His footwork is a mess and he can’t slide in the pocket. He goes through his progressions slowly and doesn’t anticipate and his WRs have to be open before he throws it. He doesn’t challenge the defense.

You can logically argue that the first point is pressure causing Dak to be affected, but the second point clearly is indicative of the fact HIS PLAY CREATES PRESSURE.

I don't understand how anyone could watch him these last two years and not see these deficiencies. They are clear as day.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak’s four losses in his last year in college were all against ranked teams.

He didn’t beat a single ranked team.

All his wins were against unranked opponents. And you score 62 points against a non-major team in college and other bums and it totally blows up your stats.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone could watch him these last two years and not see these deficiencies. They are clear as day.

Because they defended the move so vociferously last year despite him not being the best player including on the practice field and now look like Jerry, the GM Shante Carver years and they are making excuses for him.

Hell even the KC game, the Dez TD was where he broke like ten tackles and scored a TD and Zeke before that basically marched down the field. And KC defense was pathetic.

The Commanders game the OL was absolutely dominating and they couldn’t stop either Morris or Smith, while Dak stunk it up for a while half plus and then we proceeded to basically hand it off the whole time

The Giants game everything was basically RAC and we were absolutely awful offensively for three quarters. 81 yards off Dak’s less than 200 yards passing was off that Smith TD, which was garbage defense by the Giants. Then there was that dump off the Beasley that netted probably like 40 yards.

People are smoking serious crack trying to defend his play..

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He did it last season.

Regardless the pressure stats based on more or less than 40% shows that he has the physical ability to be really good but must improve in regards to being affected by pressure.

If part of the reason for pressure is from holding the ball too long or other QB related issues then that's what he needs to focus on. That is much different than people that claim he can't make the throws or needs to completely rework his mechanics.

Percy posted some info about how long he holds the ball and I don't think there was any indication of that being a problem.
The issue for Dak has been consistency. He isn't consistently accurate this year. Nothing Percy has posted here disputes that notion. The eye test doesn't dispute that notion. The results on the field don't dispute that notion. If Dak needs much better protection than he received this year...and much better performance from his offensive line (which despite a fall from 2016 form is still one of the best units in football) then we are in trouble.

He is a young QB. It is to be expected that he will improve. But if Dak can't shake hearing footsteps when they aren't there that's incredibly troubling.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issue for Dak has been consistency. He isn't consistently accurate this year. Nothing Percy has posted here disputes that notion. The eye test doesn't dispute that notion. The results on the field don't dispute that notion. If Dak needs much better protection than he received this year...and much better performance from his offensive line (which despite a fall from 2016 form is still one of the best units in football) then we are in trouble.

He is a young QB. It is to be expected that he will improve. But if Dak can't shake hearing footsteps when they aren't there that's incredibly troubling.
It's not as if he goes into a panic like many young QBs we've seen over the years.

It would be stupid not to get rid of the ball quicker or bail out of the pocket earlier when the pressure is extreme. I didn't see him panic and the stats for him specifically on snaps when under pressure don't really support the idea that he panics.

I think he consciously changed things when the pressure was occurring frequently. Throwing too soon or throwing to WRs that are covered is not something he does in the less pressure games but in the high pressure games he gets away from his conservative style.

Troy Aikman didn't play that well in several games after Irvin got injured and the OL was not as good because he had to play a different style. He was not good in the ad-lib Romo style.

The Cowboys have talent on the OL so keeping the pressure below 40% is not unreasonable. I think the average is around 31%.

Much like Aikman, Dak needs decent receivers. Romo's ad-lib style allowed him to succeed with Laurent Robinson as his top WR at one point but most QBs need something better at WR, especially in their 2nd year in the league.

I'm not worried about Dak. I don't know if he'll become one of the great QBs but I'm convinced he'll be above average and good enough to win a Super Bowl with a decent supporting cast.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Dak’s four losses in his last year in college were all against ranked teams.

He didn’t beat a single ranked team.

All his wins were against unranked opponents. And you score 62 points against a non-major team in college and other bums and it totally blows up your stats.

How lazy is this analysis?

Miss. State. lost to LSU, A&M, Alabama? Is there anyone here that's surprised? They also lost to Ole Miss but they had a pretty good team that year and college rivalry games are fun.

1) They lost by 2 pts to LSU. Dak had 330 yards, and a 125 rating. No ints.

2) Against A&M with Myles Garrett he got killed and still had a 110 rating with no ints.

3) Completely outclassed by Alabama where he got hit nearly every dropback, but he still put up 300 yards, 105 rating, and no ints.

4) Ole miss is a rivalry game and the Miss. St. defense couldn't stop anyone. He got hit a ton this game too, something like 8 sacks. But he was basically the entire MSU offense and still had a 135 rating.

He needs confidence in the pocket, because he's gotten destroyed in the SEC most of his career. He's a gamer though. If the coaches don't completely screw the pooch at T this offseason, he'll be fine.

khiladi

Reaction score
How lazy is this analysis?

Miss. State. lost to LSU, A&M, Alabama? Is there anyone here that's surprised? They also lost to Ole Miss but they had a pretty good team that year and college rivalry games are fun.

1) They lost by 2 pts to LSU. Dak had 330 yards, and a 125 rating. No ints.

2) Against A&M with Myles Garrett he got killed and still had a 110 rating with no ints.

3) Completely outclassed by Alabama where he got hit nearly every dropback, but he still put up 300 yards, 105 rating, and no ints.

4) Ole miss is a rivalry game and the Miss. St. defense couldn't stop anyone. He got hit a ton this game too, something like 8 sacks. But he was basically the entire MSU offense and still had a 135 rating.

He needs confidence in the pocket, because he's gotten destroyed in the SEC most of his career. He's a gamer though. If the coaches don't completely screw the pooch at T this offseason, he'll be fine.

105 rating with 6 points to show for it.. Great “non-lazy” analysis there regarding QB play..

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah, Alabama sucks. They never have any talent.

And that LSU analysts.. really ‘non-lazy’..

Could only muster two FGs in three quarters after being down 14-0 and a TD in garbage time..

khiladi

Reaction score
Oh and that Texas A&M game.. another great performance..

Dak got 1 FG and there only TD was a fifty plus run that wasn’t Dak in the second quarter.. hardly Dak..

24-10 and Dak scores a TD in garbage time to pad his stats..

Yeah great play there..

khiladi

Reaction score
And my favorite..

Missouri State blowing them out 28-3 in the first half.

38-13 in the fourth and a garbage TD to pad Dak’s stats with 1 minute left to end it at 38-27...

Couldn’t beat a ranked team...

Sepia

Reaction score
IMG_4267.jpg

How disappointing.

khiladi

Reaction score
IMG_4267.jpg

How disappointing.

Again, most probably deceiving

Dak isn’t a dropback QB.. they put him in shotgun in spread and read-option a lot more, where he doesn’t have to dropback. And pressure against him on those types of play would have more weight percentage wise.

His lack of success can he, once again, poor play on dropbacks which are probably deeper routes anyways.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Again, most probably deceiving

Dak isn’t a dropback QB.. they put him in shotgun in spread and read-option a lot more, where he doesn’t have to dropback. And pressure against him on those types of play would have more weight percentage wise.

His lack of success can he, once again, poor play on dropbacks which are probably deeper routes anyways.

That post was riddled with assumptions.

The pass protection overall was not very good at all this season.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It's not as if he goes into a panic like many young QBs we've seen over the years.

It would be stupid not to get rid of the ball quicker or bail out of the pocket earlier when the pressure is extreme. I didn't see him panic and the stats for him specifically on snaps when under pressure don't really support the idea that he panics.

I think he consciously changed things when the pressure was occurring frequently. Throwing too soon or throwing to WRs that are covered is not something he does in the less pressure games but in the high pressure games he gets away from his conservative style.

Troy Aikman didn't play that well in several games after Irvin got injured and the OL was not as good because he had to play a different style. He was not good in the ad-lib Romo style.

The Cowboys have talent on the OL so keeping the pressure below 40% is not unreasonable. I think the average is around 31%.

Much like Aikman, Dak needs decent receivers. Romo's ad-lib style allowed him to succeed with Laurent Robinson as his top WR at one point but most QBs need something better at WR, especially in their 2nd year in the league.

I'm not worried about Dak. I don't know if he'll become one of the great QBs but I'm convinced he'll be above average and good enough to win a Super Bowl with a decent supporting cast.
I know you spend a lot of time on the draft. If you think Dak could lead a Superbowl team then I suspect you had him with a 1st round grade right?

And what i'll add to this is.....to win in the playoffs you'll have to win against teams that can generate pressure. That's where those teams end up. It's concerning when pressure hurts him even when there isn't pressure.

Reaction score
I think Dak holds the ball because he's not sure what defense he's seeing. Often he misses the window when the receiver is open and often he's forced to throw it at the last second without getting his feet right,,, and often to the wrong receiver. Better pre and post snap reads would allow him to set up and deliver the ball on time to the right receiver. We'll have as better idea of his accuracy after that happens (if it happens). It could also be that he doesn't trust his accuracy and receivers have to be wide open before he'll throw the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score

Even Dak knew from before this season his dropbacks were not good one of his strong points and Linehan actually reduced drobacks for Dak in 2016.

He only threw from shotgun in MS and Dallas basically went heavily to it by the end of the year in the passing game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you spend a lot of time on the draft. If you think Dak could lead a Superbowl team then I suspect you had him with a 1st round grade right?

And what i'll add to this is.....to win in the playoffs you'll have to win against teams that can generate pressure. That's where those teams end up. It's concerning when pressure hurts him even when there isn't pressure.
I don't spend a lot if time studying QBs in the draft because their mental makeup is the biggest differentiator and I don't have access to interview them.

I only reviewed games for Wentz, Goff and Lynch. I thought Wentz was easily better than the other 2.

Many young QBs have struggled to deal with pressure and many have successfully overcome that problem.

The horrific receiving core added to the problem for Dak. He normally stayed with his conservative style early even against pressure but when the WRs had multiple screw-ups he would eventually get away from his style.

TWill single handedly lost the Green Bay game by tipping a good pass up and causing a pick-6.

The Dez screw-ups are too numerous to name.