Peter King: Friction between Rodgers and head coach

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He should have pulled a Brady and gone to a warmer climate or dome on a team that just needed a QB. Put up some killer numbers into his 40’s and maybe win another Super Bowl. I guess $50 million a year talks.

Plankton

Reaction score
I count two wins against Rodgers (2008, 2016). Where do they get three?

He was on the team that lost to the Cowboys in 2007. He came into the game after Favre got hurt by Nate Jones on a safety blitz.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Injuries and almost nothing to work with on offense is the biggest issue in Green Bay right now. And it seems Green Bay is allergic to trading and signing offensive players in the offseason.

It's like a freakin' cult up there sometimes. With Rodgers only taking up 13% of the cap the next few years, this will be the best time for them to build a team around him as he enters his twilight years.

plasticman

Reaction score
Can you imagine any quarterback approaching Jimmy Johnson with an attitude about what he likes versus what Jimmy likes?

Jimmy would send Aaron Rodgers to the selfish, egotistical field.

kskboys

Reaction score
Injuries and almost nothing to work with on offense is the biggest issue in Green Bay right now. And it seems Green Bay is allergic to trading and signing offensive players in the offseason.

It's like a freakin' cult up there sometimes. With Rodgers only taking up 13% of the cap the next few years, this will be the best time for them to build a team around him as he enters his twilight years.
At 42 and 59 mil the next two years, I think that's more than 13%.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
At 42 and 59 mil the next two years, I think that's more than 13%.

It's 13% this season, 13% next season, and 15% in 2024

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085

Green Bay should be in a "win now" state like the Broncos were with Petyon Manning and Patriots with Tom Brady during their second dynasty. You spend every dime you have and make the trades needed to load the Packers with talent.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Wasn’t he just wearing t-shirts to pressers last year about how handsome his coach is?

GINeric

Reaction score
For those claiming Rodgers is washed up and is an ego maniac, keep in mind these are his stats from the last 2 seasons (2020 & 2021) with team record:

26 wins 6 losses

738 of 1,057 69.8% Comp % 8,414 yards 11.4 ypc 85 td's 9 int's 116.7 qb rating

Rodgers is forcing things given his below average supporting cast but to say he is washed up given he has put up those kind of stats says differently.

So im confused.... i was told quarterback stats are meaningless around here.... so do we pay attention to quarterback stats or not???

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Hmmm .....have we not seen this movie before (lol). So many fans/posters wanted to take MM to the woods.....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/07/jets-bears-justin-fields-peter-king-fmia-week-9/

1. I think this was a great piece of writing from Tom Silverstein, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s longtime Packers authority, on Sunday night, on the looming conflict between coach Matt LaFleur and quarterback Aaron Rodgers as the Green Bay season goes down the drain:

LaFleur wants more motion, Rodgers wants less. LaFleur likes the quarterback under center, Rodgers likes shotgun. LaFleur needs Rodgers to be patient and supportive of the young receivers and Rodgers suggested after the game they need more hurry-up and believes in tough love.

Does anyone really think LaFleur came up with the tackle-eligible play that called for Rodgers to throw the ball to David Bakhtiari, a guy who can barely practice during the week because of the four surgeries he’s had on his left knee?

LaFleur IS not very smart, he should design a offense for rodgers the way rodgers wants it, because that is who he has for qb!
right now he is forcing rodgers a square, into a round hole, and wondering why they are losing.

plymkr

Reaction score
Rodgers is a great QB. He's a Hall of Famer, for sure.

But he also strikes me as a giant pain in the ***, coddled baby who loves to dish it out but then bristles when it's given back to him. Over the last few years when you have read about friction in GB, it's always involving Rodgers. Whether it's a beef with the GM or the coach or the WRs or someone else, Rodgers is always involved.
Yep. Rodgers is toxic. He's had beef with WRs and coaches. He's had trouble with McCarthy and now Lafleur. The only common denominator is Rodgers. Diva and spoiled brat but talented so people put up with his crap.

T-RO

Reaction score
I get such a chuckle at some fans here:
Rogers is FOUR-TIME MVP of the ENTIRE league.

He's a bit of a difficult diva, no doubt, but ultra bright and talented.

Too bad Cowboys didn't snag him late in that first round. :(

Swagger

Reaction score
I always see this but, frankly, it's lost on me. Davante Adams may not have been first round be he is consistently excellent. They've been great at developing OL from later rounds. Their RBs are awesome.

Offensively the Packers have always been terrifying with Rodgers at the helm. Nobody has failed him. They got deep into the playoffs regularly but just couldn't finish. No shame there, most teams don't. I think everyone looks at Brady and the Pats and thinks why can't Rodgers/Mahomes/Allen/etc. do it as well. The fact is that a SuperBowl win is very hard, and doing it multiple times is even harder.
For one Brady has had far better defenses during the vast majority of his playing career than Rodgers. That's not an assertion but a hard cold fact. You have seen that Brady can only do so much when the Bucs struggled earlier this season. It helps a QB if they have a load more possessions to score points and correct previous mistakes whilst also not having to push it too much with the D keeping the offense in the game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, he demands 50M a year and then wonders why the Packers can't get him more weapons.
Well I question what they are doing with all their salary cap because I don’t see too many players on their roster even worth paying except the backs and Rodgers….where is all their money going?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get such a chuckle at some fans here:
Rogers is FOUR-TIME MVP of the ENTIRE league.

He's a bit of a difficult diva, no doubt, but ultra bright and talented.

Too bad Cowboys didn't snag him late in that first round. :(
I’d Rather not. He’s scum.

cristglo

Reaction score
I could care less about Rodgers I think he is a spoiled kid in a man's body. LOL
I do agree that the Coach should be building his offense around Rodgers not the other way around. I also dont think the FO brought in any help on OFF and let the best player go. Makes you ask why did you keep Rodgers and not give him his trade.
I truly hope that we give GB a beat down this weekend.