PFF: Dak ranks at 17

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
XsOKwKc.jpg

bunch of back ups, has beens and journeymen below him....couple of those guys injured and out for the season. tell me you wouldn't take grapolo over Dak? or Rothlisberger over Dak? Wilson over Dak (who has heck of a lot ess to work with than Dak does)..... Put Dak in Seattle and he would be at the bottom. put Wilson in dallas and we would be 5-1.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
uu0v67w_d.jpg

Zeke at 41? Seems a little strange to me.
so zack martin is just good , not high quality or elite? smith is just good, not high quality? Collins is just above average? Lawrence is good, not high quality..... and smith is good but LVE is high quality.

who came up with this craap.....

martin just being good...that gives away this thing...and Dak being good, and not Above average, makes me throw this thing in the garbage disposal

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Then you aren't looking very hard.
He is 19th in QBR.
Tied for 6th(with many) in 4th quarter comebacks and ties for 8th in game winning drives.

His 3-3 record matches the .500 put up by Wentz and Russell Wilson.
His INT % ties for 12th lowest.

He also has the 2nd most rushing yards at QB behind Cam Newton and ahead of DeShaun Watson.
And he is tied in 3rd with 2 rushing TDs.

This stuff is all subjective as to what he actually rates but fans who blast him are mostly ones who do not many other teams play.

Dak is now 25-13 as starting QB. That'll more than do to start a career.
The team has to help him by making some plays around him and running game plans he can succeed in.

He is the league's best value at QB.
If the 13 were mostly at the beginning of his career, and the 25 mostly in the latter part, that would mean more to me.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
No it's because fans are largely ignorant of how bad the other QBs really are.
I guess they didn't watch Blake Bortles or Eli Manning?

He is 20th in quarterback rating, 18th in QBR, 2nd in QB rushing.
His rating by PFF is about as fair and accurate s anything they do.

Have to disagree. Unless the NFL gets filled with tons of guys from the Rich Rod coaching tree, then QB's who are primarily run first guys with marginal accuracy and field awareness won't last long or have extended success in the league (see, RGIII, Kaepernick, etc).

To me, the only possible explanation is that rushing is overvalued in their formulas. I look at the PFF list and there are probably a half dozen guys ranked below Dak who are far superior QB's to him. One is Eli. Not sure why you chose to mock him, he is easily out performing Dak this year on a much worse team. I hear about how bad our o line is, but watch a Giants game. Our starting 5 up front is miles ahead of NYG line.

I understand that we are 3-3 and NYG is 1-5. Wins and losses are a team stat. This is supposed to be an individual grade.
Eli averages about 100 yards more per game and is completing almost 70% of his passes. The only think Eli has at his disposal better than Dak is OBJ. Other than that there isn't one facet of the Giants offense (line, RB, TE, etc) that's better than what Dak has to work with.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
bunch of back ups, has beens and journeymen below him....couple of those guys injured and out for the season. tell me you wouldn't take grapolo over Dak? or Rothlisberger over Dak? Wilson over Dak (who has heck of a lot ess to work with than Dak does)..... Put Dak in Seattle and he would be at the bottom. put Wilson in dallas and we would be 5-1.
These kind of posts ....
Of course you take Dak over Ben R who is playing poorly, costs a fortune and is nearing retirement.
And you take him over Jimmy G who is insanely overpaid and now out for the year after playing very poorly when he was healthy.
Wilson you take over Dak but let's not pretend Dallas has great offensive weapons around Dak.
Wilson is simply a farther along QB than Dak.

This is a very bad offensive football team... And would be regardless of QB.
People are marveling at Pat Mahomes in KC because he is a stud but look at his Receiving options.
He has 3 or 4 guys MINIMUM that would be the best receiving target in Dallas.

Cole and Swaim are the only two legit receiving options.
Zeke has actually been a fairly poor pass catching option the game winning long catch withstanding.

Thompson and Hurns are invisible and Austin can only play 20 snaps a game tops.
Gallup has promise but is very raw as rookie WRs often are.

This Receiving corp ranks last in the NFL according to most standards.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If the 13 were mostly at the beginning of his career, and the 25 mostly in the latter part, that would mean more to me.
A W is a W.
He's 3-3 this year. So is Russell Wilson.
Matt Ryan is 2-4.

The team scored 40 points last week on a very good defense because they didn't rely on much at WR.
Beasley, Swaim and run the ball with both Zeke and Dak.
Hard to be a what have you done for me lately guy and ignore last week was pretty great QB play.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The OL is a top 10 group but what keeps it from being 1st has zero to do with Dak and everything to do with health and FA.
Chaz Green....

Dak is a far bigger bargain than ,may of those young guys because they are on R1 deals.
Watson especially as he has been out injured much of his contract.

PM is a stud and yes an outstanding value but he was also the 10th overall pick which means he makes 4x as much as Dak.
Given his play right now it is more than fair to argue his the best value in football yes.

PM is my favorite player. I played(loesely stated) at Tech a really long time ago.
Fair enough assessment..

You never answered my question though. What do you think is a fair price to keep Dak?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This thread incapsulates the complete schizophrenia of the fanbase. For the first 4-5 weeks of the season Dak was utter trash, then he puts up a 2 TD, ~200 yard performance and a win and now folks think he's being slighted in some QB ranking.

Falco78

Reaction score
so zack martin is just good , not high quality or elite? smith is just good, not high quality? Collins is just above average? Lawrence is good, not high quality..... and smith is good but LVE is high quality.

who came up with this craap....

martin just being good...that gives away this thing...and Dak being good, and not Above average, makes me throw this thing in the garbage disposal
You summed up this trash perfectly

BoysForLife

Reaction score
These kind of posts ....
Of course you take Dak over Ben R who is playing poorly, costs a fortune and is nearing retirement.

This Receiving corp ranks last in the NFL according to most standards.

These two sentences caught my eye...

Ben is averaging 340 yards per game and has nearly double the TD passes Dak has. If Dak's numbers make him underapprecaited in your book, then how do Ben's numbers indicate poor performance?

I will agree with you that Ben's contract is significantly costlier but I don't believe PFF factors your salary into their ratings, do they?
Ben is doing it without the benefit of Bell, who is one of maybe 2-3 guys in the league that might have been a better back than Zeke in recent years. Ben is also playing with AB, admittedly a definite advantage, but that's a two way street (is it the Receiver, the QB, or both), which leads me right into your second sentence.

Is the WR ranking a chicken or egg thing?
I heard Romo gush and gush about how Beasley is virtually "unguardable" during Sunday's broadcast.
Yet until last week, he was utter trash and a poster boy for the issues Dak has to overcome. Cole said he was getting open, and the legions of Dak enthusiasts howled with laughter at the thought that anyone in our receiving corps was getting open.

What I can tell you is, since #4 took over, we've seen more than couple of guys turn from Franchise record holders (Dez and Witten) into "problems" that Dak was being saddled with.
Could be a coincidence....

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A W is a W.
He's 3-3 this year. So is Russell Wilson.
Matt Ryan is 2-4.

The team scored 40 points last week on a very good defense because they didn't rely on much at WR.
Beasley, Swaim and run the ball with both Zeke and Dak.
Hard to be a what have you done for me lately guy and ignore last week was pretty great QB play.
I agree, last week was a very good week for him, as were most of his weeks in his rookie year.
If he's turned the corner, GREAT! I really hope he did, because it would be much better for our team...plus, I like him personally. He seems like a genuinely good guy.
But I think the rest of the season is more likely to resemble the first four games. I truly hope I get the opportunity to eat my words.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
He'd rank higher if we could beat the Blitz on 3rd down. Put another rb in the backfield with Zeke and pass the ball for once. That might work but what we got now isn't getting it done in the Garrett Linehan Era

Can't beat the blitz because there's no quick strike receivers or protection on the other side of Dak. There's always no protection on one side of Dak when you run out of a 1 rb formation. Then Zeke has to cross over to pick up the Block each time which nullifies his involvement as a target most times and prolly takes a toll.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He'd rank higher if we could beat the Blitz on 3rd down. Put another rb in the backfield with Zeke and pass the ball for once. That might work but what we got now isn't getting it done in the Garrett Linehan Era

Can't beat the blitz because there's no quick strike receivers or protection on the other side of Dak. There's always no protection on one side of Dak when you run out of a 1 rb formation. Then Zeke has to cross over to pick up the Block each time which nullifies his involvement as a target most times and prolly takes a toll.

Or Dallas could use design roll outs in those situation where they are expecting the blitz. Move the pocket get Dak outside to throw or run.

Batman1980

Reaction score
If Dak can't consistently clear 250 yards from scrimmage the rest of the way, I wouldn't give any hesitation to bringing in a 1st round QB and also upgrading the back-up position just in case the 1st rounder doesn't pan out. At this point I'd say Dak's collateral from 2016 should be all gone. Throw in the caveat we do need to upgrade at TE and WR, regardless of the QB situation in 2019.

erod

Reaction score
To all those on these boards completely flaming and trashing Dak, he's doing just fine. Average. If we let him run more, he'll shoot up these rankings. He went from #24 -> #17 in one week, the biggest jump.
You believe in this statistical garbage? You think that is what football is about?

Batman1980

Reaction score
You believe in this statistical garbage? You think that is what football is about?

Nope but anyone who can't see the absence of Frederick and real talent at WR and TE aren't hurting Dak isn't seeing the whole picture. We also need to upgrade at QB coach and OC.