PFF: Dez has seen a reduction in catchable targets

jrumann59

Reaction score
Hmm tony used to spend tons of time during the off season coordinating throwing seasons with his receivers. Since I have not seen or heard the same thing about Dak I am going to assume he doesn't. Well that is until I see a tweet that he is working with a passing Guru.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The reduction in targets was a result of Dez' poor route running and inability to get open.

Oft repeated, but still a false narrative no matter how many times it's repeated.

He had way more drops than usual, that's a fact.

However, the idea that he was never open and ran poor routes is misinformed.

All the other receivers had bad years do, did Witten, Beasley and Williams all run poor routes and fail to get open as well?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hmm tony used to spend tons of time during the off season coordinating throwing seasons with his receivers. Since I have not seen or heard the same thing about Dak I am going to assume he doesn't. Well that is until I see a tweet that he is working with a passing Guru.

You are willfully choosing to ignore that Dak looked fantastic in preseason and during the first half of the year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The same thing used to be said about Romo every time ESPN mentioned another QB working out with their receivers.

Dak works out with his receivers too.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blog/nf...cott-cowboys-receivers-planning-pre-camp-work

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Heard on JJT today in stats don't lie segment, Dez had 21 catches of 30 or more yards in 2014. In the 3 years since, just 21.

Blame it Romo being gone, Dak, the coaches. Regardless, they don't lie.

Stats don't lie. People do (or willfully leave out context).

As an example, in 2014 Dez was paired with a much more talented passer in Romo that allowed him to produce despite being in a run-heavy scheme.

From 2015-2017:
  • He missed 9 games during that span, so any cumulative stat that's brought up w/out including that in context is slanted.
  • Played w/a hobbled Romo and sorry arse Matt Cassel at QB in 2015.
  • From 2016-2017 he played in a similar run-heavy attack but with a less efficient QB that didn't exploit secondaries to the extent Romo could in limited opportunities.
So when someone glibly trots out "In the three years since...." and provides no context, they're either uninformed or disingenuous.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Stats don't lie. People do (or willfully leave out context).

As an example, in 2014 Dez was paired with a much more talented passer in Romo that allowed him to produce despite being in a run-heavy scheme.

From 2015-2017:
- He missed 9 games during that span
- Played w/a hobbled Romo and crap (Weeden, Cassel and Moore) in 2015
- 2016-2017 he played in a similar run-heavy attack but with a less efficient QB.

So when someone glibly trots out "In the three years since...." and provides no context, they're either uninformed or disingenuous.

Weeden and Dez did not play together in 2015. Moore played less than 3 quarters with Dez and they were pretty good together. 4 of 7 targets with 1 TD (1 of the targets was essentially a Hail Mary attempt).

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's been mentioned a few times that Dak works out with the WR group. This is different than the "route guru" rumors that turned out to be false.
If you need a tweet to confirm then I would expand your parameters.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Weeden and Dez did not play together in 2015. Moore played less than 3 quarters with Dez and they were pretty good together. 4 of 7 targets with 1 TD (1 of the targets was essentially a Hail Mary attempt).

How'd he do with the venerable Matt Cassel? Better yet, how'd the rest of the receivers do under Cassel, Weeden and Moore?

The passing numbers were horrible in 2015, but yet the Dez Haterz simply look at the season totals in a vacuum and say "he didn't do nothing in 2015!"

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
of course, it was only Dez who saw the reduction in catchable balls. During that same time period,Beasley was ranked #10th the league in catchable balls while Terrance Williams was ranked 25th.

When the salary is almost a million dollars a game than "catchable" is any ball that came into contact with a part of Dez's body,I don't care if it barely brushed his little toenail.

And these events should be non-existant:

Bouncing the ball right into the arms of a defender, thus creating a turnover.

Turning around to complain about a pass or a ref as the intercepting defender races past you on the way to the endzone.

Sideline meltdowns that confirm a defender got in your head to the point that you were a total non-factor.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
of course, it was only Dez who saw the reduction in catchable balls. During that same time period,Beasley was ranked #10th the league in catchable balls while Terrance Williams was ranked 25th.

When the salary is almost a million dollars a game than "catchable" is any ball that came into contact with a part of Dez's body,I don't care if it barely brushed his little toenail.

And these events should be non-existant:

Bouncing the ball right into the arms of a defender, thus creating a turnover.

Turning around to complain about a pass or a ref as the intercepting defender races past you on the way to the endzone.

Sideline meltdowns that confirm a defender got in your head to the point that you were a total non-factor.
I was wondering when the catchable ball rate for other receivers was brought up. Nice job!

To me, this catchable ball rate for Dez is more of a forcing the ball to Dez issue than it is the QB sucks issue.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's Dak's fault that Dez has struggled to be a No. 1 WR in the past three + seasons even with multiple other QBs.
What Dak really needs, is an established HOF gunslinger to make him great like back in 2014. The Dez glory years. Especially all those drops last season and turnovers. Dak does have a noodle arm but maybe he was throwing it too hard.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Right, you mean the hobbled Romo that was trying to play with a twice broken collarbone in 2015?

Once again, no context.
Lol. Excuses for Romo. No excuses for Cassel, like him having to come in to a new offense mid-season? You throwing Weeden into the mix when the two didn’t even play.

And, BTW, the concern about Romo coming back in the season wasn't about his performance, it was about the likelihood that he could break the collar bone again.

What is this context you speak of again?

Last edited:
Reactions: G2

jrumann59

Reaction score
It's been mentioned a few times that Dak works out with the WR group. This is different than the "route guru" rumors that turned out to be false.
If you need a tweet to confirm then I would expand your parameters.
You are wound too tight, my comment was pretty much tongue in cheek about the guru. Working out or throwing thousands of passes in the off season. I do not need mindless mass social media to provide me information. So Dez has not started his workouts with Robinson this year ok so...

jrumann59

Reaction score
It's Dak's fault that Dez has struggled to be a No. 1 WR in the past three + seasons even with multiple other QBs.
What Dak really needs, is an established HOF gunslinger to make him great like back in 2014. The Dez glory years. Especially all those drops last season and turnovers. Dak does have a noodle arm but maybe he was throwing it too hard.
You may be on to something. He did wind up a lot on some of his passes which further exacerbates mechanics issues. Forcing yourself to throw harder, especially a football leads to a lot of wobbly off target passes.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Also does not take into account receivers running the wrong route, or the wrong depth on a route, or reading the coverage differently on an option route which leads to uncatchable balls.
Yea all of the receivers stopped being good as soon as romo got hurt. Our hall of fame offensive line forgot how to block too. And our coaches couldn’t draw up a decent scheme. coincidentally all when romo got hurt

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You may be on to something. He did wind up a lot on some of his passes which further exacerbates mechanics issues. Forcing yourself to throw harder, especially a football leads to a lot of wobbly off target passes.
yeah, no.