1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

PFF Gives Dak Bad Grade

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by PJTHEDOORS, Oct 17, 2016.

1. deadrody

deadrody Member

262 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    This is so funny. You guys act like it was a 1 point game. It wasn't. The offense put up THIRTY in a game you claim Dak was "iffy". And won by 2 TDs and it wasn't even that close. Winning by a FG is "escaping with a win" which is the kind of language you guys are basically using.

Undisputed likes this.
  2. deadrody

deadrody Member

262 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    That's easily one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

Furthermore, Rodgers was just bad. Does the defense get credit for him overthrowing Cobb in the endzone when he was WIDE open ? Does Church and the defense really get credit for simply catching a ball Rodgers threw right to him ?

The idea that this was a close game that Dak's ineffectiveness almost cost them is laughable.

Undisputed likes this.
  3. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

18,204 Messages
    16,467 Likes Received
    2 fumbles, one recovered by the defense. One INT at the what our 15 yard line? Not sure he "almost lost it", but he put our defense in a lot of bad spots yesterday.

4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,548 Messages
    24,808 Likes Received
    Not hardly.

It's a team game and the win was the result of many parts that came together that created the 14 point win.

Did all of those parts perform at the same level? Of course not.

Some did better than others.

JDSmith, lockster and jobberone like this.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Moderator

54,220 Messages
    19,656 Likes Received
    You're comparing apples and oranges. There is nothing wrong with your use of the stats and overall picture. I do the same with my overall analysis of the team and each player. But PFF and other sites like it delve into it deeper and that colors a different picture at times. For me it enhances my view of the game and I just plug that into the computer for the overall results.

There is no right or wrong way to use them although there are valid reasons to look at each snap in depth IMO. It depends on how deep you want to go into the rabbit hole.

You can't turn the ball over twice and expect people to ooh and aah over your performance. And the other fumble recovered I believe killed a drive. The INT may have been on Dak or Witten or both. The fumble recovered is on Dak. The other fumble is on him and the OL.

The fact we won does not impede or make unimportant the results of an in depth analysis of the game. There are many variables which made up the win including a subpar performance by Rodgers.

Don't conflate the two issues or set of values.

6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,548 Messages
    24,808 Likes Received
    If I could give you more likes than Risen Star I would. :)

jobberone likes this.
  7. jobberone

54,220 Messages
    19,656 Likes Received
    All you need is love.....***my best Beatles voice***

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  8. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

16,583 Messages
    4,529 Likes Received
    Like I said, the data is worthwhile. The grades are garbage.

jobberone likes this.
  9. lockster

lockster Well-Known Member

1,528 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Listen, I love what Dak has done, but you can't be blind to his mistakes. That wasn't a good game for him grade wise and shouldn't have received a high grade, but yes he did enough to win. I personally want Romo back sooner than later, but very very glad we have Dak. Elliot and other guys added has made this team a better team than last year, at least on offense.
    You guys say these things about Romo while failing to realize this is a team game and there's so many other factors. If we wouldn't have had Romo all these years we'd found ourselves occupying the basement every year for years because that's how bad our team was.

10. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

54,272 Messages
    18,476 Likes Received
    what's the difference between a 1 + 15 team and a 15 + 1 team who doesn't make the Super Bowl? Nothing.

11. ConceptCoop

ConceptCoop Well-Known Member

2,440 Messages
    1,642 Likes Received
    I am going to have to disagree with you here. I think we have a different take on what PFF is trying to do. None of your suggested improvements really fix anything. They just change what you're trying to capture. You're asking them to add box score metrics into their grade, which is the exact opposite of what they're doing. There are some advanced box score metrics you might like more than the PFF grade, but I very much appreciate that that's not what PFF is doing.

12. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,275 Messages
    23,223 Likes Received
    An enjoyable holiday season? :cool:

Clove likes this.
  13. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

14,693 Messages
    5,891 Likes Received
    Who cares about grades and rankings?

Who cares about the occasional int or fumble?

Dak had some perfectly clean games with no TDs; yesterday he had a lost fumble and an INT, but he also threw 3 TDs and took some shots.

We won going away. I'll take that any day. To be honest, if we keep winning, I'm fine without Dak getting top billing. I'm fine keeping his contract and future contracts under control. Just win the game in any way possible. I could care less about stars. To be honest, despite all we've seen from Dak and Elliott, this is a team game, and right now we have team chemistry playing just as big a role as those rookies.

14. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

14,693 Messages
    5,891 Likes Received
    Wow...I see the point you're making, but it's still ridiculous.
    I lived through every game of Jimmy's first year at 1-15, and believe me, 5-11, 8-8, even missing the playoffs, are all different. The SB isn't the only thing.

lockster likes this.
  15. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

16,768 Messages
    17,132 Likes Received
    Again, 1 fumble lost.

16. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

54,272 Messages
    18,476 Likes Received
    Tell me what's more important than the Super Bowl?

17. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,726 Messages
    104,465 Likes Received
    My grades so far for him per game....

Giants: D
    Redskins D+
    Bears C-
    49ers D+
    Bengals: D
    Packers D-

I'm grading him on a rookie curve. Drop it down a letter grade for a veteran.

black label and MichaelWinicki like this.
  18. jobberone

54,220 Messages
    19,656 Likes Received
    That's a patently absurd statement.

JDSmith likes this.
  19. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

54,272 Messages
    18,476 Likes Received
    I said it, I meant it.

20. Section446

Section446 Well-Known Member

9,881 Messages
    7,987 Likes Received
    He had a rough game, still a ridiculous rookie.