PFF Ranks Starting QB’s Ahead of 2021 Season

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 817Gill, May 18, 2021.

1. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

19,238 Messages
    9,569 Likes Received
    so I will use the same analogy...all of this hasn't amounted to a hill of beans. his record against teams with a winning record is 7-58. he has been in the league for 12 years. most of his stats and yards come late in games when they are so furiously are trying to make a comeback.

2. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

6,097 Messages
    6,035 Likes Received
    I wonder what would happen if he finally had a defense that helped not be so furiously trying to make a comeback

Fastpitch Dad likes this.
  3. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

14,906 Messages
    25,397 Likes Received
    The majority of GMs would take Watson.

4. CowboysFaninHouston

19,238 Messages
    9,569 Likes Received
    detroit in 2018 was a top 10 defense - they went 6-10
    , 2016 was middle of the pack (similar to cowboys) - their record was 9-7
    , 2015 middle of the pack (similar to cowboys), they were 7-9
    2014 they were #2 defense their record was 11-5
    2013 middle of the pack, 2012 #13 ranked.. they went 7-9

so it doesn't look like the cupboard has been empty for stafford....his record has been pretty dismal even with middle of the pack defenses....the one year their defense was #2 and the team went 11-5...

so perception is not reality as you can see

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  5. CowboysFaninHouston

19,238 Messages
    9,569 Likes Received
    and you know this because you hang out with them on Friday nights?

6. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

14,906 Messages
    25,397 Likes Received
    I just know who the better QB is. The rest is common sense.

Vandyr, 817Gill and Aerolithe_Lion like this.
  7. OmerV

OmerV Zone Supporter

23,051 Messages
    19,591 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with Jackson, but I don't see any compelling reason to put Stafford ahead of Dak. The perspective could change on Stafford after a year with the Rams, but that's a discussion for next year.

8. OmerV

OmerV Zone Supporter

23,051 Messages
    19,591 Likes Received
    Maybe a year ago. Not now

[​IMG]

9. CowboysFaninHouston

19,238 Messages
    9,569 Likes Received
    so I guess you are a know it all?

10. TexasFrog

TexasFrog Zone Supporter

8,289 Messages
    8,878 Likes Received
    That is just a ridiculous premise that makes no sense. Garbage numbers usually include interceptions, inaccuracy and basically filler yards where you are throwing 50 times a game. His were nothing like that. What responsibility would he take from this? I will listen to his career arguments but this ratings plus TD/Int ratio are insane and it’s worth reposting

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...d-deshaun-watson-had-an-unprecedented-season/

Only four quarterbacks in NFL history have finished a season with more than 4,500 passing yards, more than 30 touchdowns, fewer than 10 interceptions and an average of more than 8.5 yards per pass. Those quarterbacks were:

Peyton Manning in 2004, when the Colts went 12-4.

Aaron Rodgers in 2011, when the Packers went 15-1.

Matt Ryan in 2016, when the Falcons went 11-5.

And Deshaun Watson in 2020, when the Texans went 4-12.

Watson’s performance this season was unprecedented, because ordinarily when a quarterback is playing at an MVP level, his teamis winning. Watson had his great season on one of the worst teams in the NFL.

The Texans lost eight games this season in which DeshaunWatson threw 25 or more passes and had a passer rating over 100. Never before in NFL history had a quarterback lost more thanfive such games in a season.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...-the-nfls-best-quarterback-in-2020-pff-argues

According to Pro Football Focus, Watson took his game to the next level in 2020. His regular-season passing grade of 92.5 was the 19th-best regular-season grade recorded since 2006, when PFF began keeping complete statistical data for the league.

To put that in perspective, anything above a grade of 90.0 is considered historically great.

Watson is one of just 29 quarterbacks to finish a regular season with at least a 90.0 passing grade, and the other 28 all started under center for franchises that ended the season .500 or above. That makes Watson's feat for the 4-12 Texans even more impressive.

With a lack of support from the defense and run game and few offensive weapons, PFF argues that Watson was the league's best QB in 2020, finishing with the best single-seasonperformance by a QB in the past 15 years.

Vandyr, Fastpitch Dad and 817Gill like this.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

52,540 Messages
    40,613 Likes Received
    You should lose your football dialog privileges for....let's say....30 days.
    Plus get a noogie on your head.

:muttley::dance:

But at least I now know that QBs play golf and tennis--one on one--not football with 44 other teammates.
    Got it.
    :thumbup:

Vandyr and Fastpitch Dad like this.
  12. CowboysFaninHouston

19,238 Messages
    9,569 Likes Received
    interesting that of those above Watson was the only one that went 4-12.....

13. CowboysFaninHouston

19,238 Messages
    9,569 Likes Received
    oh wait...when dallas loses, then all the dak detractors and haters are pointing fingers...and when we win, its the OL, zeke, WRs, Jason Witten, and the fans in section 403 row D, the angle of the son, etc...

stafford's record against winning teams is 7-58....like I said, the most over rated QB in the NFL.....

apprantley not many think he was any good including 50 FO personnel who may know a thing or two about football that didn't think he was a top 10 QB...but go ahead have your man crush on Stafford...like I said, he throws a really pretty spiral

14. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

15,520 Messages
    14,898 Likes Received
    I think this is fair. The view of Dak has changed around the league.

Buzzbait and 817Gill like this.
  15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

48,897 Messages
    42,504 Likes Received
    I don't know about that. Watson is a better passer than Josh Allen. Now if we want to take the potential off the field stuff into effect then yeah I don't see anyone taking Watson over him.

TexasFrog and Aerolithe_Lion like this.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

52,540 Messages
    40,613 Likes Received
    Not me.
    I'm not a Dak detractor.

This reply was about Stafford and I'm telling you he has mostly played on very crappy teams and he is very, very good.
    And if anything, he has been underrated over his career.
    Now, he is a bit older now, but I still expect him to be very good this year...

We for sure will have to agree to disagree on this one.....which is fine.

Fastpitch Dad and TexasFrog like this.
  17. CowboysFaninHouston

19,238 Messages
    9,569 Likes Received
    and I am telling you stafford is one of the most over rated players in the NFL....he had some good players and good teams around him and he always folded in the big moment and couldn't get it done....he had decent defenses around him and his best year was when their defense was #2 and he went 11-5....so IMO, he is over rated. he has never got it done...but like I said, he throws a pretty spiral...

18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

52,540 Messages
    40,613 Likes Received
    Like I said, agree to disagree.

There is no gap to fill between two views this far apart.

Reminds me of when Nick Wright on ESPN was saying last pre-season that Brady was the worst QB in the NFC South--including Bridgwater--and that the Bucs would not make the playoffs.

Can't even really discuss a topic when views are that far apart.

19. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

6,097 Messages
    6,035 Likes Received
    Did you know that between 1986 and 1991 Dan Marino won 10 games a total of... 1 time? And he only missed 4 games in that stretch so that wasnt the reason. His team's lone playoff appearance in that time was that 10+ win season. So why is Marino seen as this passing savant when he had good defenses in that stretch, he had good receivers, decent O-lines? We'll get to that in a second.

Firstly, 2018. Yardage-wise, they were top 10. But that's misleading, teams don't need to run up and down the field when they can abuse your defense early to big leads. Detroit was 17th in points allowed, that's a major disconnect from yardage. Secondly, that year they had major O-line problems. In the super bowl, when Mahome's line was down with injuries, and his team only scored nine points, does that mean Mahomes is no longer great? only 9 points. TB D is good, but it's not THAT good. Oline means something to Mahomes and it means something to stafford, as per PFF:

What had the makings of a promising offensive line fell apart fairly quickly in Detroit. T.J. Lang only managed 282 snaps before ending up on IR, while Frank Ragnow was all over the map as a rookie. The Lions' first-rounder ended up with the 10th most pressures allowed of any guard.

Then that corresponds with Detroit having the 23rd rushing attack in the NFL. You cannot simply say "If he has a defense, a QB must bring a team to the playoffs". Maybe that's the case for Mahomes, for Brady, but no one is campaigning to put them in that league. Oline mattters. Run game to take pressure off the QB matters.

Now back to Marino. Why is it the later 80's, early 90's he was putting up stats, his teams were pretty good, but his record didn't reflect that? Because he was unlucky enough to be in the division of another hall of famer, who had one of the most stacked rosters in NFL history.

In 2018, the lions went 0-4 against the NFCCG Minnesota Vikings and the 12-4 Bears who had one of the best defenses seasons we saw in the last decade. Then add in Aaron Rogers has been in Matt's division every year of his career.

What if we lived in a world where Aaron Rodgers didn't exist? The Packers were bad and Matt had 2 more wins every year? Suddenly all his 9-7's and 8-8's are 11-5's and 10-6's and he's the NFC North darling... there's no doubt in my mind you'd think of him different if he's making then playoffs perennial under that hypothesis. Context matters tremendously. In LA he'll have a good line, the best D in the league, and a real receiver corps that isn't touting Golden Tate of all people as the hero of Detroit.

TexasFrog likes this.
  20. TexasFrog

TexasFrog Zone Supporter

8,289 Messages
    8,878 Likes Received
    You are completely ignoring everything but that. It’s strange. It’s a historical season where the guy had a horrible team yet still put up record numbers that weren’t trash. You’ve been ignoring facts and throwing this rubbish around here any chance you get. It actually helps Daks argument. You trying to diminish it is laughable if you objectively read the articles

Fastpitch Dad and 817Gill like this.