PFF Top WR Free Agents

yentl911

Reaction score
I like Ridley a lot, but I doubt we add anyone at the WR position.

We NEED to get depth on the offensive and defensive lines - that needs to be the offseason priority IMO.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Sure you can. There's no reason they can't take Pollard's $10m cap dollars, allocate them to WR, and go cheap at RB.

I also didn't say Ridely.
That's not how it works.
Pollards contract was 2023, he is off the books for 2024, so you can't allocate that 10 mil to WR. It's gone in 2023 and we are already over the cap for 2024 (without Pollard or his contract on the books).
You can create new cap space and spend where you like.

My guess is we will stand pat this year with the 5 guys we have at WR, though we can create up to 17.5 mil in space (with about 6 mil in dead money for 2024) by cutting Cooks and Gallup Post Jun 1. There is a downside though too, in that cutting post June 1 means we have dead money in both 2024 and 2025 (and cutting them pre June 1 doesn't yield much space at all).
It's a fair arguement to say we could do better than their production for less money with a FA, and Tolbert and Turpin may very well be ready to move up in the pecking order. Personally I think they could move up 1 space (form 4 and 5 to 3 and 4), but I don't think they are ready to be a 2 and 3 WR. So, do we want to do a wholesale reboot at WR by cutting both Cooks and Gallup, in a year when we have other fish to fry? It's possible, as I said, 17.5 in cap space is no small number, but my guess is we may re do those deals to save space and keep the players (Cooks and Gallup).

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That's not how it works.
Pollards contract was 2023, he is off the books for 2024, so you can't allocate that 10 mil to WR. It's gone in 2023 and we are already over the cap for 2024 (without Pollard or his contract on the books).
You can create new cap space and spend where you like.
Yea that's not the point.

The point is you just allocate dollars from elsewhere to pay 3 WR.

rambo2

Reaction score

7. WR GABRIEL DAVIS, BUFFALO BILLS

2024 Free agency rank: 63

Davis is your typical vertical threat out wide, averaging over 15 yards per reception in every season of his career and coming down with a fair amount of contested catches with good high-pointing skills. However, Davis doesn’t have the fastest release off the line and doesn’t snap off in-breakers with a sharpness to create separation over the middle. He’ll help stretch the field outside the numbers for an acquiring team and can have some huge outings on occasion, but he can also be absent from the box score at times as well.

Top free agent comparison: Devin Funchess, 2019

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
Yards after catch per reception
APY as % of Cap at signing
?
5.3%
*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing
Contract Projection: One year, $12 million, $8 million guaranteed

8. WR ODELL BECKHAM JR., BALTIMORE RAVENS

2024 Free agency rank: 69

Beckham has progressively looked more and more like his old self as the season has gone on. His 90.0 receiving grade from Weeks 9-14 trails only Tyreek Hill among wide receivers, and his nine explosive receptions and 6.7 yards after the catch per reception are top-20 marks at the position.

Top free agent comparison: N/A

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
N/A
Contract Projection: One year, $10 million fully guaranteed

9. WR TYLER BOYD, CINCINNATI BENGALS

2024 Free agency rank: 74

It will be fascinating to see if and how Cincinnati attempts to keep the elite trio of Ja’Marr Chase, fellow free agent Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd together in 2024 and beyond, but Boyd could be the odd man out looking for a third contract after playing out the term of his four-year extension signed in 2020.
Boyd is a big slot receiver with solid blocking chops in the run game. He rarely ever drops a target and does well to sit down in soft spots of zones on key passing downs. However, Boyd is on pace for career lows across the board in 2023 and with so many big financial decisions facing Cincinnati, the Bengals may not be willing to offer him as much as other teams looking to upgrade their unit over the middle.

Top free agent comparison: Robert Woods, 2023

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
3.4%
Contract Projection: Two years, $17.5 million ($8.75 million per year), $10.75 million total guaranteed

10. WR CURTIS SAMUEL, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

2024 Free agency rank: 77

Samuel is an efficient target in Eric Bienemy’s Washington offense that spreads the ball around more than any team in the NFL, hauling in just shy of 80% of passes thrown his way with just two drops on 73 targets through Week 15. Samuel is being used as a ball carrier in 2023 like he was in 2022 and previous seasons dating back to his Ohio State days, but his Swiss Army knife skill set shows up with good change of direction in space and start-stop ability that is still above average at this stage of his career.

Top free agent comparison: Adam Humphries, 2019

Player
Receiving grade
Yards per route run
Average depth of target
?
4.8%
Isn't Cooks under contract for another year?

rambo2

Reaction score
That is correct. But there is the possibility they move on after the season. I wouldnt say its likely since he improved the 2nd half, but they could look for a better option. These are just guys that could be those options
Cooks is very good. He is coming back. The one that they could possibly cut is Gallup.

quickccc

Reaction score
If they do decide to part ways with Cook, I don't see them counting on the draft to replace him. Way too many variables. Thats a big why they traded for Cooks in the first place
Why on earth would we be parting ways with Brandin Cook, when we just traded for him and he's making an impact in 2nd half of the year ?
Doesn't he have another year on his existing contract ?

quickccc

Reaction score
Cooks is under contract next year for $10 million. I don't think we'll be looking for alternatives. Now, we might be looking to improve the third receiver position since Gallup has been hit and miss (mostly miss), but I think that would come in the draft.
I would think NFL draft ...or a cheap bargain FA. But after the James Washington disaster, if they decide to go
bargain FA, they need to re-evaluate how they go about such a FA signing.

Plus keep in mind that there's still Tolbert and Brooks ..and they still have Turpin as a spot receiver for a 4th WR.

Of course this is assuming the club's decision on Gallup. Is he making too much money for such underachieving production ?

Could the club ask Gallup to take a pay cut,... place him on the trade block ..or casualty cut him altogether ?
Do they want to get much more outta the 3rd WR role and production than what they feel they already have on the roster ?

quickccc

Reaction score
correct, Gallup likely comes off the books...Brooks versus another late round WR for the 4th spot and likely a cheap VET option.
do we re-sign Gilmoure? I would given Diggs will take mid-season to return to even 80% form
I would too, but that would have to be a commitment to Gilmore as a repeat starter again.

Not sure Gilmore would be open to a 3rd CB role, and do we reduce pro bowl CB Daron Bland to the 3rd CB/slot role again ? I don't see that happening either ( Bland to 3rd CB)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why on earth would we be parting ways with Brandin Cook, when we just traded for him and he's making an impact in 2nd half of the year ?
Doesn't he have another year on his existing contract ?
3 games over 60 yards in our last 8 games is not making an impact . He had 27% of his entire seasons yardage total in one game

You guys are really squinting to see something in Brandon Cooks that isnt there anymore. He is not a productive #2 WR anymore.

Proof

Reaction score
Sure you can. There's no reason they can't take Pollard's $10m cap dollars, allocate them to WR, and go cheap at RB.

I also didn't say Ridely.
i'm very curious what mike evans goes for.

Proof

Reaction score
3 games over 60 yards in our last 8 games is not making an impact . He had 27% of his entire seasons yardage total in one game

You guys are really squinting to see something in Brandon Cooks that isnt there anymore. He is not a productive #2 WR anymore.
and how many touchdowns? he also stretches the field allowing ceedee to feast. i like him a lot.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
and how many touchdowns? he also stretches the field allowing ceedee to feast. i like him a lot.
Ceedee feasted when he wasnt doing anything. He feasted last year with absolutely garbage around him. Cooks is helping Ceedee with anything

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Seriously guys, do you think it efficient at all to pay a WR 10 million in season that cant even break 700 yards in 16 games

Proof

Reaction score
Ceedee feasted when he wasnt doing anything. He feasted last year with absolutely garbage around him. Cooks is helping Ceedee with anything
i'm not trying to convince you. just my perspective. ceedee just set the cowboys record, so there are degrees to the feasting lol