News: PFT: Cowboys, TE Dalton Schultz Not Close To Long-Term Deal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
14 million will be nothing as the cap rises. Donald is about to make 30 million a season. CeeDee, Diggs and Parsons will be plus 25.

Which has nothing to do with overpaying a good but not great player.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Which has nothing to do with overpaying a good but not great player.
It does because with the rise of the cap. Players are going to make more money. Especially good players. It’s not your money. I don’t understand your concern. The Cowboys always over pay players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It does because with the rise of the cap. Players are going to make more money. Especially good players. It’s not your money. I don’t understand your concern. The Cowboys always over pay players.

Oh, the ‘concern’ is me being against the team making stupid decisions and spending money foolishly. I hope that clears things up for you.

erod

Reaction score
A team would have to beyond stupid to pay this average tight end big money.

There are Dalton Schultzes growing off of trees. There's nothing special about him at all. He's pretty good, nothing more.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

And where has that gotten them?

Too often "he's the best guy we have at that position" gets treated like "he's one of the best in the league at his position", and guys are paid accordingly.

The result has been the Cowboys never hit rock bottom, but they never realistically threaten to win a championship either, despite imagined "windows".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a surprise! The team that rewards average play with exorbitant contracts can't get a deal done?

If a poll was conducted with agents about their favorite team to negotiate with, what team do you think would come in #1? I do not think it would even be close.

Hold your ground, these clowns will blink.

Schultz's problem is that he really isn't a star. He needs more endorsements and interviews. Then, he is worthy of star money.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Tagging him and letting him stay on the tag is very BAD for the team in the short/long term. That means he gets 15 mill roughly all fully paid out to him this fiscal year now. That kills our cap and the ability to sign free agents if we need to. BUT if we sign him and stretch the financial hit out over say 5 years, he counts substantially less against the cap this year and next. We stand to save 10 mill or so THIS YEAR. HE NEEDS SIGNED.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What a surprise! The team that rewards average play with exorbitant contracts can't get a deal done?

If a poll was conducted with agents about their favorite team to negotiate with, what team do you think would come in #1? I do not think it would even be close.

Hold your ground, these clowns will blink.

Schultz's problem is that he really isn't a star. He needs more endorsements and interviews. Then, he is worthy of star money.
He has been good. He has shown improvement each year hes been here. While hes not an elite TE he is very much a big part of the offense. Counting on a rookie to come in here and being as good within the first 2 years, as Schultz is foolish.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
And where has that gotten them?

Too often "he's the best guy we have at that position" gets treated like "he's one of the best in the league at his position", and guys are paid accordingly.

The result has been the Cowboys never hit rock bottom, but they never realistically threaten to win a championship either, despite imagined "windows".
The question is who do you not pay? You have to pay players. Dak deserved his money, Tank, Cooper, and La’el did too. The mistake was paying Zeke and Jaylon early but did that stop the team from signing anyone. No. Let’s stop pretending the cap is the reason why the Cowboys have not won anything in 27 years.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dalton won't get a new deal with the Cowboys. He'll play on the franchise tag this year and be gone next year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The question is who do you not pay? You have to pay players. Dak deserved his money, Tank, Cooper, and La’el did too. The mistake was paying Zeke and Jaylon early but did that stop the team from signing anyone. No. Let’s stop pretending the cap is the reason why the Cowboys have not won anything in 27 years.
exactly. The Zeke deal is the issue, not D. Schultz. I say extend Schultz, saving tons of cap $, and next offseason cut bait with the terrible Zeke deal. The hit will be far less in dead $ and we can move forward, not hamstrung if we leave Schultz tagged THIS year and give him 15 mil. Its not popular on here, but paying him makes sense. Fans need 2 keep in mind that we want to employ a 2 tightend scheme going forward. I feel thats why we drafted Ferguson. We wanna be bigger and more physical/versatile. Having 2 tights that can both contribute and block makes sense. New England did this for many years. It works. It helps Dak and the running game as well.

jrumann59

Reaction score
exactly. The Zeke deal is the issue, not D. Schultz. I say extend Schultz, saving tons of cap $, and next offseason cut bait with the terrible Zeke deal. The hit will be far less in dead $ and we can move forward, not hamstrung if we leave Schultz tagged THIS year and give him 15 mil. Its not popular on here, but paying him makes sense. Fans need 2 keep in mind that we want to employ a 2 tightend scheme going forward. I feel thats why we drafted Ferguson. We wanna be bigger and more physical/versatile. Having 2 tights that can both contribute and block makes sense. New England did this for many years. It works. It helps Dak and the running game as well.
but no one game plans for Dalton Schultz.

Rayman70

Reaction score
which is why the dude gets open and is valuable. He finds a way 2 get the ball and get open, he takes advantage of this. Are u saying a rookie will have the same effect? Thats expecting 2 much I think....at least year 1. I rather have 2 guys that can add some additional toughness at the line and run routes. We already lost 2 many pieces on offense 2 throw a veteran TE to the curb that has shown he can do a solid job. I think hes being under valued.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Let me ask ya a question. Would you rather pay out 15 mill on 1 player this year like Schultz on a tag, knowing your gonna let him walk in 2023..thus eating all the leftover cap surplus we have right now, or would ya rather lessen the hit by signing him and just paying out like 5 million now? So its paying 5 mil versus 15 fully guaranteed. Its simple math. If u guys have it the way u want it, your willing to wipe out our entire cap by letting him stay on the tag. I just think thats terrible business.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has been good. He has shown improvement each year hes been here. While hes not an elite TE he is very much a big part of the offense. Counting on a rookie to come in here and being as good within the first 2 years, as Schultz is foolish.
I think that's what his agent thinks. He's watched this offense and with Cooper, Lamb and Gallup in it, no way the TE should be the #2 receiver on the team.

Elite doesn't matter because he plays for a guy that pays elite money for standard performance.

What the Joneses do not seem to grasp is that it isn't about comps at the position within the league; it is about what they are paying other players. That bit PIT in the butt after they paid the QB and WR and the RB wanted his money. After all, Bell led the league in contributing %to his offense, why wouldn't he want big bucks?

Schultz was barely behind the WR in catches and targets, he wants to get paid and I do not blame him. Don't want to pay the average TE above average money? Tell the OC and QB not to make him the 2nd targeted receiver on the team.

Rayman70

Reaction score
A team would have to beyond stupid to pay this average tight end big money.

There are Dalton Schultzes growing off of trees. There's nothing special about him at all. He's pretty good, nothing more.
Are u sure about that? I dont see established consistent tight ends like Schultz just sitting there ready to be signed and drafted. They are harder 2 find than u may think. In fact, we had to develop him. It wasnt til year 3 when he began to really blossom. It takes time. It will with Ferguson as well.