News: PFT: Cowboys, TE Dalton Schultz Not Close To Long-Term Deal

RonWashington

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that overpaying Schultz is not a good business decision with Ferguson & McKeon in the bullpen . What about # 4 . At 140 million ?

coult44

Reaction score
After seeing the deal Njoku got, it's best to let him walk.

He'll definitely want more and deservedly so since it's what the market pays.

I’m m far from a Shultz guy. He’s a slow, non blocking, dime a dozen TE. WTBS, some of y’all that think the salaries of these guys is going to stay low, and that paying dollar store prices for 3/4 of the team is gonna cut it, are living proof that JJ and cap boy has brainwashed you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it a gross overpay when it is less than what he would get on the open market? We have already seen worse players getting paid more. I know we harp on the blocking but in reality the highest paid TEs are not being paid to block they are being paid to be a mismatch for defenses.

Other teams doing dumb things doesn’t mean we should.

Adreme

Reaction score
Other teams doing dumb things doesn’t mean we should.

It cannot be overpaying when a dozen teams would match that offer. That is just paying the market rate for what Schultz is. If anything the fact that you can get a mismatch for that cost demonstrates how the TE position is probably the most underpaid position in football for the value they provide.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I love Dalton Schultz but he is one of the most replaceable players we have. He’s a nice player but doesn’t present any matchup problems for defenses.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Who cares, I prefer to have a whole team with ROOKIE CONTRACTS because this organization hasn't sniffed a SB in more than two decades with players and their over blown contracts. Let's find out what a team loaded with rookie contracts can do, it can't hurt.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
13-14m would not be enough for a 3rd round comp. At best you are looking at a 4th round comp if he stays healthy and plays well.
13 would be a 4th, but if he gets another 700 + yds he's going to get more than that on the open market

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It cannot be overpaying when a dozen teams would match that offer. That is just paying the market rate for what Schultz is. If anything the fact that you can get a mismatch for that cost demonstrates how the TE position is probably the most underpaid position in football for the value they provide.

Who are the “dozen teams”? It’s easy to make an unsupported statement like that. It’s quite another to back it up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
How likely is Ferguson to take over the starter TE position in year 2?
Ferguson is 4th round pick, he would be lucky to be the 2nd tight end next season. Kiper said he is a career backup. I think Shultz could get a second tag if he improves on last season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ferguson is 4th round pick, he would be lucky to be the 2nd tight end next season. Kiper said he is a career backup. I think Shultz could get a second tag if he improves on last season.

What round was Schultz drafted in again?
:huh:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The Schultz deal is absolutely fine. A good player and quality starter on a 1 year deal for 10 million dollars is a bargain in the NFL today. The Njoku deal will almost certainly prove to be a bad deal for Cleveland. 28 million guaranteed for a guy who only managed 475 yards and 4 TDs in his prime contract year? Insanity.

John813

Reaction score
You guys realize Njoku has a cap hit of 3mil this year, and 8mil next year?

And in 2024 when his cap hit is 18.3mil, they can either restructure him, extend him or cut him to free up cap space. If outright cut, they save 2mil, if traded, 5mil etc...
Or, by 2024, 18mil cap hit for a TE is now standard.

These deals total contract means nothing without proper context of the deal. Every time half of the board acts like this is the NBA where the entire 57mil contract is fully guaranteed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
THIS IS A DAK MOVE, THEY WILL RESIGN HIM because of daks love for him

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What round was Schultz drafted in again?
:huh:
The 4th round and it took him 3 years to do anything. Posters and local media wanted to cut him in year two. Shultz is a good tight end. The Cowboys should sign him to a long term deal.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is good news.. Schultz is not a difference maker at that position. He's a run 7 yards, turn around, catch the ball and fall down player. It would be lunacy to give him a big long term deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 4th round and it took him 3 years to do anything. Posters and local media wanted to cut him in year two. Shultz is a good tight end. The Cowboys should sign him to a long term deal.

Agree to disagree. I think it’s a bad idea to pay great money for a “good tight end”.

quickccc

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we drafted him, ergo, the two dolts in charge will likely buckle at some point and overpay.

Wouldn't it be best if we wait to see any glimpse of Jake Ferguson this year before we decide to overpay Schultz ?
Do the Cowboys envision Ferguson as an eventual starter (replacement ?) and maybe one that has a better game

PLUS
1) He is very durable and tough, and productive in the red zone
2) he has reliable hands for most part ..
3) and he is adept at finding soft spots in zone coverage and roll out areas. .

MINUS:
4) He's a limited athlete who does not create his own separation vs man coverage
5) he's not gonna be a regularly deep middle seam player- has to be blown coverage to be so wide open
6) his blocking both in-line and in space is lacking
7) There's no upside or anything superlative with Schultz, imo. , he's limited in receiving/blocking and not one that you have scheme/game plan against.
8) He's more a product of the system that makes him, than individually a player that
creates and forces advantages/mismatches

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Agree to disagree. I think it’s a bad idea to pay great money for a “good tight end”.
14 million will be nothing as the cap rises. Donald is about to make 30 million a season. CeeDee, Diggs and Parsons will be plus 25.