News: PFT: Dez Bryant gets five years, $70 million from Cowboys

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys got taken?? Are you serious??

The only thing I don't like about this contract from the team standpoint is that it is so team-friendly that I have little doubt we are going to go through all this nonsense again in 2 or 3 years. I'll worry about it then and celebrate today, but man you have to salute the Joneses.

I thought it was a decent contract from the Cowboy perspective.

I kept thinking, "Great the Cowboys are going to be paying this guy $13-$15mil per season when he's 32, 33 years old if they go 7 years."

Amy50632

Reaction score
Go Cowboys !!!! :starspin:

Go Cowboys!

jay-novacek-greatest-84-dallas-cowboys-have-ever-had-3.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score

I kept thinking, "Great the Cowboys are going to be paying this guy $13-$15mil per season when he's 32, 33 years old if they go 7 years."

That was my issue too. No problem with this deal for either side.
And the 5 years matches up too, as Romo will be done and Dez may not want to deal with a rookie but will still be able to land one more deal somewhere if they don't replace Romo well.

My guess is that they will have a good QB in the wings by the time Romo leaves..

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Wrong by Schef again.
No numbers at all discussed with Roc Nation according to both Jones.

He's a typical ESPN hack. He was not the one who broke the story as he so likes to. So of course he had to try and input something into the story. Even if it's not true at all. No one fact checks these tweets. So he just throws it at the wall and sees if it sticks.

Not to mention he violated HIPPA lawa by posting JPP's medical information. He loves attention.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
That was my issue too. No problem wit this deal for either side.
And the 5 years matches up too, as Romo will be done and Dez may not want to deal with a rookie but will still be able to land one more deal somewhere if they don't replace Romo well.
My guess is that they will have a good QB in the wings by the time Romo leaves..

Same, some talk about how we might as well just let Dez et al. depart after Romo retires since we're going to stink anyway. But I don't feel that way at all. I believe in this franchise to find a QB when the time is right, and when that time happens, the new QB will have a great offense around him from his first snap (as well as a good defense hopefully). We'll be putting the next guy in a good position to have success, build confidence, and grow into a good player. I don't think we're at that point yet where a young QB could step into the offense and drive the bus (at least initially), but we're well on the way.

Wood

Reaction score
according to David Moore this is how guaranteed portion breaks out:

2015 - $23 mill (20 mill in signing bonus)
2016 - $9 mill
2017 - $13 mill

so essentially a 3 year deal with only $8 mill in dead money cap hit if Dallas releases or trades him after 2017 season or $4 mill dead money hit after 2018 season. I think this was well designed by cowboys to take advantage of Romo window.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Anything past 5 years would be non-guaranteed base salaries. They still could add some extra years, most likely voidable ones to lower the cap hit next year and so on.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Same, some talk about how we might as well just let Dez et al. depart after Romo retires since we're going to stink anyway. But I don't feel that way at all. I believe in this franchise to find a QB when the time is right, and when that time happens, the new QB will have a great offense around him from his first snap (as well as a good defense hopefully). We'll be putting the next guy in a good position to have success. I don't think at that point yet where a young QB could step into the offense and drive the bus (at least initially), but we're well on the way.

Hey, I'm going to ask you a question Barry Switzer asked Jerry Jones after they beat the suck steelers in the last Super Bowl Dallas was in. "Are You Happy Now !!!! "?

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Cowboys got taken?? Are you serious??

The only thing I don't like about this contract from the team standpoint is that it is so team-friendly that I have little doubt we are going to go through all this nonsense again in 2 or 3 years. I'll worry about it then and celebrate today, but man you have to salute the Joneses.

Well kinda?

Dez has essentially been guaranteed the same amount as our franchise QB. But as a percentage of the contract, he's guaranteed far more than Romo.

burmafrd

Reaction score
We got Dez as long as we have Romo which is what is important. Considering how long we went the last time our Elite QB retired before we found another that is all that matters.

Fact is you look around this league and with the exception of Rodgers following Favre and Luck following Peyton just how often have teams managed to quickly replace an ELITE QB?

So those proclaiming the Boys will be able to do that are frankly full of it. The odds are way against it.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
We got Dez as long as we have Romo which is what is important. Considering how long we went the last time our Elite QB retired before we found another that is all that matters.

Fact is you look around this league and with the exception of Rodgers following Favre and Luck following Peyton just how often have teams managed to quickly replace an ELITE QB?

So those proclaiming the Boys will be able to do that are frankly full of it. The odds are way against it.

I agree.

That's why I'm all in on doing whatever it takes to move up in the draft in the next two years to secure a stud QB. I haven't given up on Vaughn. But I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect that he's Romo's successor either.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree with that.

That's why they need to keep the OL strong and continue building up the DL.

At least with Romo gone the lines could still be strong and keep the team competitive with a "bus driver" as the QB.