News: PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he's planning a training-camp holdout

bsbellomy

Reaction score
He's not underpaid. He's on a rookie contract, so he is paid exactly what he's supposed to be paid.

The whole point of a contract is to lock in the value of a player. So if a player is exceeding the value of their contract, then how would they not be considered underpaid?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The whole point of a contract is to lock in the value of a player. So if a player is exceeding the value of their contract, then how would they not be considered underpaid?

Because they signed the contract and agreed to the terms. Thus, they are paid what they expected to be paid; ergo not underpaid in terms of expectation.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you risk your career if you were being underpaid Millions?

Zeke gets hurt in camp and he loses $$$.

This is simple to figure out.

If players want to sign long term before becoming a free agent in order to get security, most teams will accommodate if the player signs for less per year than he would get when he is an unrestricted free agent.

It's probably a good idea for many players to take less to get guarantees early; however, agents prefer to avoid taking less.

Now: 5 years, 50M with 25M guaranteed (The 5 years start in 2021 but the guarantees are immediate).

March 2021: 5 years, 75M, 40M guaranteed.

They picked up his 5th year option which is guaranteed for injury; however, if a player suffers an injury that does not prevent them from playing again but does reduce their ability to perform, that is not guaranteed.

The 5th year option is 9M for Zeke.

conner01

Reaction score
Rookie contracts, by definition, underpay players, relative to the market. The NFLPA wanted it because it's run by veterans and allows them to get a bigger piece of the pie. The Owners want it because it gives them cost control over players.

The only say rookies have is holding out - and Zeke is right to do it, as is Melvin Gordon, to a lesser extent. We're going to start seeing this with quarterbacks sooner than later.
I don’t have a problem when a player is going into a contract year so much as a player with 2 yrs left

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but I don't think has any intention of holding out but the threats are legit. Legit coz they wanna send a clear message to Stephen......things will not be pretty this time next year if he's not extended and no he has no intention of playing the 5th year option w/o holding out. Other words, Stephen has a year before this gets officially ugly IMO.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If players want to sign long term before becoming a free agent in order to get security, most teams will accommodate if the player signs for less per year than he would get when he is an unrestricted free agent.

It's probably a good idea for many players to take less to get guarantees early; however, agents prefer to avoid taking less.

Now: 5 years, 50M with 25M guaranteed (The 5 years start in 2021 but the guarantees are immediate).

March 2021: 5 years, 75M, 40M guaranteed.

They picked up his 5th year option which is guaranteed for injury; however, if a player suffers an injury that does not prevent them from playing again but does reduce their ability to perform, that is not guaranteed.

The 5th year option is 9M for Zeke.
I would sign him now for that the 5 year and 50 guaranteed. But with something in that contract about getting suspended again..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

tenor.gif

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Elliott on the field. But, holding out when you have a contract for two more years and you've seemed to have off the field issues pop up every year, I'm not sure what I do. Let him hold out and see if you have something in your 3rd round back? That's a bad plan, probably. I'm just not sure I'm all in right this minute.

Edited to add...no source for this rumor of course.
This.... No way do you extend him now

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In what galaxy? Not in this here Milky Way.

Ain't you never heard of mind-reading? I mean, how else do fans know what Goodell and Mara are thinking right before some ill befalls the Cowboys. Tinfoil hats DO work.

Most fan bases do typically support the player and not the owner in holdouts. The only times where this doesn't seem to be the case is if the player isn't an all-star caliber or if they've had other issues off the field.
If that's the case - then make all contracts performance based. I'm willing to bet the players would say no to that pretty quickly.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Then Zeke can turn around and bill Dak when he gets his new contract for helping him look like a halfway competent QB

If you want to go that direction, Zeke will need to get his checkbook out for all five guys along the front line. He may not have any money left at all.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The answer is none. Gurley was the most recent "elite" to even make a SB. It's better to spend that money on O-line and defense than on a position with a 4 or 5 year peak window.

Of course Gurley was the most recent "elite" RB to play in the Super Bowl. Can't get any more recent than the last one.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Todd Gurley
<iframe src="https://overthecap.com/contract-embed/3858/" width="600" height="374" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
I was trying to embed this lol.
But looking at this contract it seems Rams extended Todd way too early,
and now he has the bad knee, so it looks like they messed up and overpaid him.
I have to wonder why they extended him so early.
Doing this with high draft picks is questionable, but like a guy like dak,
it would have been smart to extend him back in 2017.
More cost at the time, but he would be cheap now and no situation like they are in now.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
See Emmitt in 1993.

They paid him.

After we went 0-2
#22 said his phone didn't "ring" a single solitary time with inquiries as to his services from the other teams in the league,,,good luck with that genius midget brain stormed plan of yours #21:thumbup:

:facepalm:o_O:facepalm:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So he's going to hold out of training camp, miss all the wear and tear on his body, then come back a week before the last preseason game just in time for the season. Yawn.