PFT: Hoffman ready to compete to be the Cowboy's starting center

XXLMike

Reaction score
This dude is an animal. I love it out with the old and with the new.

rambo2

Reaction score
Next:

TJ Bass ready to compete for stating OG spot.

Mazi Smith ready to compete with no one for starting DT spot.

Sam Williams ready to compete with Fehoko for starting DE spot.

Overshown ready to come in and take over as a starting LB after missing his entire rookie season.

Dowdle and Deuce ready to compete for starting RB position.
The starting running back should be the rookie that they draft.

McMicah

Reaction score

This is lazy. Watch the game. Hoffman was double teaming on almost every play, and multiple times when Dak got sacked by Chumas guy, Hoffman guy was 0.2s behind him, and often the edge got there because Dak could climb the pod let because of…drumroll…Hoffman. Also multiple of Bass’ pressures were poor handoffs by Hoffman to Bass so Bass got hung out statistically. Bass is >>> than Hoffman.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I really think Barton is going to be a serious target. Very good prospect certainly worthy of pick 24.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Something else I think is getting overlooked a bit......Tyler is an ALL-Pro LG. Expecting the same level of performance as LT after one full season is a reach. So moving him from LG to LT creates ANOTHER question mark. I'm not saying he can't play if at a high level but can he be as good as LG, unlikely. In other words, moving him from LG to LT would create THREE OLine question marks ( LT, LG and C ) as opposed to leaving him at LG locks down that position. Besides staying at LG gives him a chance to help your young LT AND C.

Remember the Eagles had the same issue a few years ago with Lane Johnson who was drafted to replace Jason Peters at LT. He started at RT and immediately played at near ALL-Pro level. So when Peters suffered a season injury, Johnson considered switching to the left side but decided to try Jordan Mailata at the position before creating another question mark by moving him. The rest is history...

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Something else I think is getting overlooked a bit......Tyler is an ALL-Pro LG. Expecting the same level of performance as LT after one full season is a reach. So moving him from LG to LT creates ANOTHER question mark. I'm not saying he can't play if at a high level but can he be as good as LG, unlikely. In other words, moving him from LG to LT would create THREE OLine question marks ( LT, LG and C ) as opposed to leaving him at LG locks down that position. Besides staying at LG gives him a chance to help your young LT AND C.

Remember the Eagles had the same issue a few years ago with Lane Johnson who was drafted to replace Jason Peters at LT. He started at RT and immediately played at near ALL-Pro level. So when Peters suffered a season injury, Johnson considered switching to the left side but decided to try Jordan Mailata at the position before creating another question mark by moving him. The rest is history...
I think Bass can be a pretty good starting guard though, he showed a lot of promise for sure. TBH, if they decided to go Tyler/bass/hoff/martin/steele, I would t be TOOOOO upset cuz of what we have seen from tyler at T as a rook, and the time bass and hoff played. Steele hast to pick it up from last year. We just have so many holes now and not a lot of picks to fill them with STARTERS since we are boneheads in free agency.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in drafting the positions of surplus in the draft, and hope it lines up with your needs. Dallas needs an OT, C, WR and RB offensively, fortunately this draft has what they need.

Imo, Dallas should draft a OT and C, so Tyler can stay at LG. Also, Hoffman, at worst, provides decent IOL depth along with Bass.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Hoffman deserved to be cut after the last preseason, and he was. Any team could have claimed him. Instead, he ended up back on our practice squad and wasn't put on the roster until he had no call-ups left. Players can improve and he did decently in relief work, but if we're mainly basing this on his play in a Washington game where they sat a lot of their starters, that's foolish.

Center should be on the top of our draft list ... and the top ones also are able to play other positions, which give us options considering we have two young guys trying to step up and fill holes.
Yup.

We are truly desperate for talent at C now.

Maybe we hit on a draft pick?

Of course for 25-30 million, we could have locked in Biadasz.

Toro9

Reaction score
I think they want Bass to be the swing guard. Martin is getting up there in age and if Bass could take over that would obviously be great. Martin's contract is up after this year. He might just retire and hang out with T Freddy more.

I honestly don't remember much of Hoffman. We need a lot of positions filled though so I don't know if they take a Center before Day 3. Might end up just having to roll with Hoffman unless, God Forbid you sign a FA.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yup.

We are truly desperate for talent at C now.

Maybe we hit on a draft pick?

Of course for 25-30 million, we could have locked in Biadasz.
I'm fine with moving on from Biadasz, but only if we have a plan other than just handing the job to Hoffman.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry says if he tries really really hard he'll be an all pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would be really funny if Hoff was always better than Tyler but just having to wait for his turn.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If we miss on Powers-Johnson and Barton, I'd be perfectly content with trading back slightly and taking Frazier. After that, it gets more iffy to me. I know some have the mind-set that the centers who are third- through fifth-round values will be just fine, but that's not how the draft works. The lower you take a player, the more flaws there are in his game and the more likely you are to miss on the pick. Some get overly focused on the hits, when the hit rate is not that high.
I agree with you but my crystal ball is saying that Frazier can be within our grasp with the 2nd pick, just saying.
BrainPaint made me this avatar because I predicted T-New catching the pass the day before he caught it.
My crystal is ringing right now like it did then...

1942willys

Reaction score
The record of players like Hoffman ever being very good starters is extremely slim. Thus counting on him to take over would be a very STUPID move.
Letting Biadasz go was the right move; he was just average at best and no way worth any money to retain. He got overpaid as it was.
Seems pretty clear we are not going to be able to pick anyone up in FA due to the dumpster diving cash man so that leaves trade or draft.
ipso facto we are drafting a Center. Since we ain't got squat to trade.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree with you but my crystal ball is saying that Frazier can be within our grasp with the 2nd pick, just saying.
BrainPaint made me this avatar because I predicted T-New catching the pass the day before he caught it.
My crystal is ringing right now like it did then...
I just don't want to take a chance of missing on one of the top three (Powers-Johnson, Barton and Frazier) because I feel like there's a fairly steep drop-off from there. I wouldn't even have a problem taking Frazier with our first-round pick if we believe we can't afford to trade down to get him (if JPJ and Barton are off the table).

I know fans get exasperated by some of our first-round choices, but what we don't know is if they wouldn't have been taken within the next few choices anyway. So I don't get too caught up in what the draft experts say a player's value is.