News: PFT: Jerry Jones: I “dropped the ball” in not getting Tony Romo, Jason Witten a title

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Jerry, YOU DROPPED THE SOAP. Wade Philips was NOT a HC and never should have been. You wanted a puppet,and that's what you got!! The whole "aw schucks" crap didn't work. Just like Bum Philips...IT WONT WORK AT THE PRO LEVEL. So yes JJ..its on you. THAT SAID, its also on one Tony Romo big time. He's more to blame than you Jerry. Had he been more disciplined with his reads earlier in his career,he may have gotten a ring at some point. But he got too beat up to continue. In 2014 it wasn't Jerry's fault..it was Roger Goodell and the refs,PERIOD. So as much as I would like to rough JJ up and blame him on that,I JUST CAN'T. It would be untrue. Turn the page JJ,I HAVE..and I think most fans here have too.

SMH

Dwight

Reaction score
If Jerry was an GM under an owner that was competent he would have been fired in 1996.

Jerry has failed both as an Owner and GM.

This team should have nine Super Bowls as of right now (two more under Aikman and two under Romo). No excuse for his putrid performance as the owner of this team since Jimmy was fired.

cern

Reaction score
I do see the Garrett hire differently. I think he saw Garrett as the guy who would grow into his roll. Garrett was given a long rope to win.
The background of rebuilding the team both Jerry,Stephen and Garrett were shoulder to shoulder on. Its been too long but ....
the only one of the 3 that's learned anything seems to be stephen. he might make a mistake now and then, but corrects them and moves on. not like daddy who just won't admit to having done any wrong.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When you hired Jason Garrett you put being comfortable as an Owner over winning.

You've had above average NFL talent for awhile Jerry. Yes, we've been weak in areas but we've had some legit teams.

Jason Garrett's growing pains crushed us and now at the end of the process we've gone back in time and are playing caveman football.

waving monkey

Reaction score
the only one of the 3 that's learned anything seems to be stephen. he might make a mistake now and then, but corrects them and moves on. not like daddy who just won't admit to having done any wrong.
just the other day I read where Jerry admitted to failing both Romo and Witten
Garrett has learned from his hard work ethic.
Stephen is great your right.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jerry, YOU DROPPED THE SOAP. Wade Philips was NOT a HC and never should have been. You wanted a puppet,and that's what you got!! The whole "aw schucks" crap didn't work. Just like Bum Philips...IT WONT WORK AT THE PRO LEVEL. So yes JJ..its on you. THAT SAID, its also on one Tony Romo big time. He's more to blame than you Jerry. Had he been more disciplined with his reads earlier in his career,he may have gotten a ring at some point. But he got too beat up to continue. In 2014 it wasn't Jerry's fault..it was Roger Goodell and the refs,PERIOD. So as much as I would like to rough JJ up and blame him on that,I JUST CAN'T. It would be untrue. Turn the page JJ,I HAVE..and I think most fans here have too.
What team did Romo play on that was good enough to win the Super Bowl, but his undisciplined reads cost them that chance?

2007 had a strong all around team, but the down to the wire playoff loss to the eventual SB champ didnt happen due to undisciplined reads by Romo. He even threw what shouldve been the game winning TD to Crayton with seconds to go, but Parick inexplicably broke his route.
Perfectly thrown ball....not to be.
Not sure 2006 was good enough, but his play as QB was fine in those playoffs.
The special teams blunder was killer though.
Can’t think of any other teams he played on that could've won it.

Most needed better defenses and olines. The rebuilt the oline finally, but he onky had one year to enjoy it.
Even then, the defense wasnt there yet.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What team did Romo play on that was good enough to win the Super Bowl, but his undisciplined reads cost them that chance?

2007 had a strong all around team, but the down to the wire playoff loss to the eventual SB champ didnt happen due to undisciplined reads by Romo. He even threw what shouldve been the game winning TD to Crayton with seconds to go, but Parick inexplicably broke his route.
Perfectly thrown ball....not to be.
Not sure 2006 was good enough, but his play as QB was fine in those playoffs.
The special teams blunder was killer though.
Can’t think of any other teams he played on that could've won it.

Most needed better defenses and olines. The rebuilt the oline finally, but he onky had one year to enjoy it.
Even then, the defense wasnt there yet.

Agreed...this team should've won at least one Super Bowl when all the listed superstars were playing.

I've said all along that the reason this team hasn't done squat is defense. Pure and simple...more specifically the DL.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Well, I guess you can blame everything on Jones, but I wouldn't. Some of the players were part of the reason they didn't advance in terms of execution. Lots of pieces.

Sydla

Reaction score
And yet, one of his biggest mistakes in his failure to get Witten and Romo a title is still employed.

The same guy he came out and said they basically can't get rid of because they've "invested" too much in him. LOL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you hired Jason Garrett you put being comfortable as an Owner over winning.

You've had above average NFL talent for awhile Jerry. Yes, we've been weak in areas but we've had some legit teams.

Jason Garrett's growing pains crushed us and now at the end of the process we've gone back in time and are playing caveman football.

Exactly right.

If Jerry Jones has regrets - as he rightfully should - they should include his red-headed step-child of a head coach staring him in the face from across the table.

It starts and ends with him. A guy who's been affecting this team's wins and losses for over a decade.

cml750

Reaction score
Exactly right.

If Jerry Jones has regrets - as he rightfully should - they should include his red-headed step-child of a head coach staring him in the face from across the table.

It starts and ends with him. A guy who's been affecting this team's wins and losses for over a decade.
:hammer:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Yes Jerry everyone in Cowboys Nation knew it longer before you did. We thank you for wasting arguably 2 if the greatest Cowboys. Idiot:rolleyes:

Verdict

Reaction score
It is interesting he didn't include Dez in that statement. Dez seemed pretty close to Jerry. I think that's a pretty good indication how far Dez fell out of favor with the organization.

Verdict

Reaction score
Thanks for rob Ryan, monte kiffen and rod marinelli Jerry.

Great choices.

Worked out really well.

Yeah. Marinelli hasn't done much with the defense. He seems to have much better players now. We will see what he can do this year. This defense has talent.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Jerry, you dropped the ball for the millions of fans who tirelessly watch, spend their money on products advertised during the events featuring your team, tickets, seat bonds, parking, over priced food and beer, buying jersey's, caps, sweatshirts, bumper stickers, and any number of sundry things associated with this team. Because if you did your diligence, we who support you, by giving you the funds to have the number one sports franchise in football and maybe the world should have had several Super Bowl trophies since Jimmy left and you decided to show the world that any one of 500 GM's can screw up a heralded franchise that was steeped in esteem and honor from the past heroes of this franchise.

Instead you allowed your ego to take charge and the people who have spent the most are still here waiting.

Tony and Jason would have had the titles they deserve if you serviced this franchise and made certain the ones who pay the freight got what they deserved.

So while you start this self effacing jaunt to show the world your compassion for those guys who suited up and came to play everyday. From one of the fans you seem to neglect and overlook as the integral part of your success, I say...Blow It Out Your Barrack Bag Sweetheart!

Sell that crap somewhere else.

:hammer:X 10,000

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I lay the blame on the players who were actually on the field.

GenoT

Reaction score
LOL!

Jones makes it sound like he forgot to send cards on their birthdays and now feels bad about it. As if he himself could’ve done anything differently that would’ve produced a title, other than in his own hindsight.

But as usual, it’s all about Jerry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. Marinelli hasn't done much with the defense. He seems to have much better players now. We will see what he can do this year. This defense has talent.

I'm more eager to see the Kris Richard influence. I'm seeing a passing of the torch.