News: PFT: Jerry Jones: I “dropped the ball” in not getting Tony Romo, Jason Witten a title

aikemirv

Reaction score
Romo dropped the ball a few times on getting himself a title too. Get over it, it's time to move on.

Yeah, right into Craytons arms, oh no wait, Crayton stopped running.

You people never stop!

I think Romo may have fumbled away the 2014 Green Bay playoff game - oh no, that was Demarco Murray!

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
It's not only unpopular, it's probably wrong.

For example, after GB loss in Dallas, the Packers were saying the Cowboys showed tendencies throughout that game on offense. For example, when the Cowboys had momentum in the 3rd Q and were driving for another score, Micah Hyde made a ridiculous play on a WR screen that resulted in an interception. After the game, he basically said the Cowboys telegraphed the play and they knew it was coming. If you watch the replay, apparently the CB on that side of the field saw it as well and was signaling to the team.

Things like that, where a team notices predictability and tendencies isn't on the players, that's coaching. So while I won't blame the coaches for everything, trying to excuse their playoff failures as simply the players letting the coaches down is silly IMO.

Here’s a news flash, by the time the playoffs come around every team has tendencies, so back to my point of that the team’s lack playoff success should not fall on the GM, coaches call the plays players must execute.

That pick was a big play, but it didn’t decide the game, and Jerry didn’t loose it from the owners box.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20. It doesn't make you a genious though your tone seems to indicate you think you are.

It's not hindsight. It's simply a fact. The Packers said after the game we telegraphed some of our plays and they knew what was coming at times.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
which would also fall on the Front Office.

So it’s the front office fault, for not bringing in better players or for keeping popular players who fail to rise in big games?

Because at the end of the day it’s still on the players.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not hindsight. It's simply a fact. The Packers said after the game we telegraphed some of our plays and they knew what was coming at times.
It is exactly hindsight if it's being talked about after the fact. It's opinion not fact.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here’s a news flash, by the time the playoffs come around every team has tendencies, so back to my point of that the team’s lack playoff success should not fall on the GM, coaches call the plays players must execute.

That pick was a big play, but it didn’t decide the game, and Jerry didn’t loose it from the owners box.

So you think Garrett is a really good coach and Jerry is a really good GM, both let down by players that failed to execute in big games?

And yes, the reason this organization has zero NFC Title game appearances, only a small handful of playoff wins and appearances is directly tied to who has been sitting in the owner's box over that same time period.

It's bizarre that you are arguing otherwise. This franchise has had insufficient leadership over the past two decades from the GM's office as well as the coaching staffs. Suggesting otherwise and saying that, in fact, our dearth of success is on the players, is typical excuse making.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So are you now suggesting the Packers lied after the game? The depths people go to defend Garrett. Hahahaha.
The Packers gave their opinion of what happen is all I'm saying, genius. Stop making it out to be anything more than that. The depths people will go to to slam Garrett. :rolleyes:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
After you keep failing for over two decades............empty I'm sorry's such as "I dropped the ball" loses it's effectiveness when you know what will help fix the problem but won't because an overblown ego won't allow it.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
So you think Garrett is a really good coach and Jerry is a really good GM, both let down by players that failed to execute in big games?

And yes, the reason this organization has zero NFC Title game appearances, only a small handful of playoff wins and appearances is directly tied to who has been sitting in the owner's box over that same time period.

It's bizarre that you are arguing otherwise. This franchise has had insufficient leadership over the past two decades from the GM's office as well as the coaching staffs. Suggesting otherwise and saying that, in fact, our dearth of success is on the players, is typical excuse making.

Dude reading comprehension.......where did I say I though Garret was a really good coach and Jerry a really good GM. What I said was this team has at least twice been the #2 seed in the playoffs which technically means they were the second best team in the NFC playoffs.

So the team is good enough to get the #2 seed, but not good enough to advance and all that blame goes to Garrett and Jerry, Really? Folks love to pick a play in those games that they that they have determined cost the entire game. Yet I see no blame for the casts of characters who actually play.

When the team is 13-3 no complaints, when they miss the playoffs fire everybody :lmao:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry is aware that he's had limitations as a GM, which may explain his greater reliance upon others now. Let's hope it continues. He's just too proud to name McClay as his GM, though, despite his being paid like one. For those aware of JJ's past, it's still progress, nevertheless.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
The Packers gave their opinion of what happen is all I'm saying, genius. Stop making it out to be anything more than that. The depths people will go to to slam Garrett. :rolleyes:

They didn’t give an opinion. They stated a fact. They knew certain plays were coming based on personnel and formation.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They didn’t give an opinion. They stated a fact. They knew certain plays were coming based on personnel and formation.
There's that tone again. And you know what I said about hindsight, genius. They can say what they want after the fact, that's so easy to do.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until Garrett is gone the balls will continue to drop.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dude reading comprehension.......where did I say I though Garret was a really good coach and Jerry a really good GM. What I said was this team has at least twice been the #2 seed in the playoffs which technically means they were the second best team in the NFC playoffs.

So the team is good enough to get the #2 seed, but not good enough to advance and all that blame goes to Garrett and Jerry, Really? Folks love to pick a play in those games that they that they have determined cost the entire game. Yet I see no blame for the casts of characters who actually play.

When the team is 13-3 no complaints, when they miss the playoffs fire everybody :lmao:

What other conclusion is there when you say that the reason this team hasn't gone further in the playoffs is due to the fact the players didn't properly execute the plays called by the coaching staff?

What's really laughable is your attempt to minimize the argument against Garett to them missing the playoffs, as if that's a rarity under him. You are talking about a coach that has 7 full seasons under his belt and only two playoffs appearances and only one playoff win. But yeah, the irrational position is the one where the head coach (and GM) bears a heavy amount of responsibility for the multiple failures of that 7 year run.

And note, I never said the players bear no culpability. But in the end, this isn't some small sample here. We now have a pretty strong track record of the GM's failures (22 years) and the head coach's (7 years). And I am a firm believer that, yes, failures to execute game plans are also, at least partly, the responsibility of the coaching staff. It's why the Rams look inept under Fisher and in one year with a new staff they look like a different team. Competent coaching shows itself not only in the game plans and in game decisions made, but in how a team performs, executes, applies the fundamentals, etc.

What happens if they miss the playoffs again in 2018? Is there a point where we say, you know what, the coach isn't good enough (the GM isn't ever changing, unfortunately).

Sydla

Reaction score
There's that tone again. And you know what I said about hindsight, genius. They can say what they want after the fact, that's so easy to do.

So again, the Packers are lying when they said the Cowboys tipped off plays? Because that's what they said. And if your belief is they are only saying that after the fact, then surely, they must be lying.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So again, the Packers are lying when they said the Cowboys tipped off plays? Because that's what they said. And if your belief is they are only saying that after the fact, then surely, they must be lying.
Where did I say they lied? They used hindsight to give their opinion, which anyone can do and look like a genius. You've certainly bought into their snake-oil explanations which makes you even more of a genius. :rolleyes:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I love that you like to insult people can call them "genius" mockingly when you are the one looking like the halfwit.

The Packers said after the game they knew certain plays were coming, including the interception, which is why Hyde was able to jump a WR screen route.

You think that's simply an opinion. That it's their opinion that the Cowboys ran a certain play and they knew it was coming based on formation, etc. Yet they stated they knew for a fact it was coming. So if your version is to be believed, then the Packers are lying saying they "knew" particular plays were coming. That in your world, they didn't know particular plays were coming, they just said after the game they knew a play was coming. That would be lying by the Packers.
I love how your circular thinking makes feel so smart. :rolleyes: Repeating your brilliance does not make it any more thought provoking. What do you not understand about the meaning of the word, "hindsight". They can say anything they want to after the fact but where is the tape of them saying this is what Dallas is going to do, before the game was played? There isn't any because they didn't know jack, Jack. The post game interviews were pure hindsight.