News: PFT: Jerry: No reason Cowboys shouldn't be better than last year

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One reason - strength of schedule should be harder. I'm not sure we are actually better or worse season to season and instead our record just goes up and down based on the strength of schedule we are playing.
It’s really difficult to say without further evidence. My immediate concern would be DL. We already lost Gregory and Irving and don’t know how Lawrence will recover from surgery.

We picked up Cobb but lost Beasley and Williams. Arguably a push. Picked up Witten and lost .. forgot his name at TE. Maybe a slight gain.

Will Freddy return ?

I’m not so sure how much better we’d expect to be. Plus throw in 1st place schedule and our opponents may have improved more in draft.. we’ll see.

No reason at this point to promote it either way. Unless your trying to sell tix and merch.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a simple statement any GM, Owner or coach have said a million times, lmao.
Why are people taking such a simple statement so personal?
Have no idea, he talks every year and will always spin to the positive. Personally, I don't listen to or watch anything he says and only see his words that are brought in here.

But with Booger, there is that little difference. What he's really saying is "hey, we did our job. Replaced the losses with upgrades, it's not on us if it goes south." So, where do the fans look if it isn't a better season? Think they look at what the GM's of the better teams in the NFC did or look at this HC?

He doesn't have to say anything for me. I do believe they did everything they could in FA and in the draft to make the team better while trying to keep as many of their own as they could. However, stating this team will be better implies either LA, NO or CHI will be worse or even PHL or SEA.

And just as unimportant as anything Booger says is what the others say predicting no playoffs and putting the team at 7th or worse in the NFC. What he should have said was what his son said several seasons back. "With all of the surprise teams that come up every season, why not us?" Good question because that's exactly what they were in 2016 and 2018.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One reason - strength of schedule should be harder. I'm not sure we are actually better or worse season to season and instead our record just goes up and down based on the strength of schedule we are playing.
It goes up and down based on missing players, injury or suspension, as well.

This is a prove history wrong season. No team, in the last 14 seasons has repeated as division champ and the Cowboys have not made the playoffs in back to back seasons in 12 seasons. The Cowboys are an even numbered year team making the playoffs over the last 5 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Have no idea, he talks every year and will always spin to the positive. Personally, I don't listen to or watch anything he says and only see his words that are brought in here.

But with Booger, there is that little difference. What he's really saying is "hey, we did our job. Replaced the losses with upgrades, it's not on us if it goes south." So, where do the fans look if it isn't a better season? Think they look at what the GM's of the better teams in the NFC did or look at this HC?

He doesn't have to say anything for me. I do believe they did everything they could in FA and in the draft to make the team better while trying to keep as many of their own as they could. However, stating this team will be better implies either LA, NO or CHI will be worse or even PHL or SEA.

And just as unimportant as anything Booger says is what the others say predicting no playoffs and putting the team at 7th or worse in the NFC. What he should have said was what his son said several seasons back. "With all of the surprise teams that come up every season, why not us?" Good question because that's exactly what they were in 2016 and 2018.
Good stuff Coach.

It all comes down to Jerry promoting his product.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jerry needs to say that directly to his D-Coordinator who's defenses have failed to show up 3 times now during the playoffs in 2018, 2016 and 2014. THAT is why the Cowboys haven't advanced past the divisional round of the playoffs.

Marinelli has been a liabiity in the playoffs. That's no lie. I'd say he got positively pantsed in our last 2 playoff losses. I'll give him a pass for 2014, as the dlinemen for that game were largely a bunch of guys with a handful of NFL games left in them.

Go look at the dline snap counts for that game and cry.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/pi/share/xM2Ow

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jerry Jones: No reason Cowboys shouldn’t be better than last year
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 2, 2019, 4:54 AM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...on-cowboys-shouldnt-be-better-than-last-year/

Getty Images

The Cowboys won the NFC East last year, but Jerry Jones wants more than just a division title this year.

Jones says the Cowboys ought to be better than they were in 2018, which suggests he’s expecting better than 10-6 and advancing further than the divisional round of the playoffs

People like to sneer at Jerry, but he's right.

The only significant losses were Beasley, and *maybe* Gregory, though that sounds less likely every day.

Meanwhile, we added a lot, starting with Fredbeard, and are a very young team that should be improving across the board.

Also, some big addition by subtraction. Linehan is gone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People like to sneer at Jerry, but he's right.

The only significant losses were Beasley, and *maybe* Gregory, though that sounds less likely every day.

Meanwhile, we added a lot, starting with Fredbeard, and are a very young team that should be improving across the board.

Also, some big addition by subtraction. Linehan is gone.
Don’t forget Irving.

Losing Gregory and Irving and not knowing how soon Lawrence will be back 100% could have a big impact on our defense.

What will the effects be if we don’t have a top 10 defense? Hopefully the additions we made on DL will help but they are unknowns at this time. Tough to say it should be better.

Offensively I like picking up Cobb and Witten back. But Beasley was one of Daks main targets. Again, will need to see.

ESisback

Reaction score
Jerry needs to say that directly to his D-Coordinator who's defenses have failed to show up 3 times now during the playoffs in 2018, 2016 and 2014. THAT is why the Cowboys haven't advanced past the divisional round of the playoffs.

Well yeah, that plus offensive playcalling and in game adjustments.

mmohican29

Reaction score
IDK people better not sleep on the Commanders. I think they made some great moves this offseason. Going to be tough to win this division.

Agree but Jerry is right. No excuses. This team is loaded on both sides of the ball.

mmohican29

Reaction score
What do you considered loaded? I think our d line, secondary, and te groups are average. And our coaching is subpar
Been over this on D ad nauseum.

On O we have 7 players who have appeared in Prow Bowls

Tyron
Zach
Travis
Prescott
Elliott
Cooper
Witten

Your other 4 starters on O are

C.Williams
L.Collins
M.Gallup
R.Cobb

... Lol I mean...*** do you want? Whatever an individual's opinion of Dak is, the dude is
33 and 17 as a starter. The rest of the roster should be healthier as well.

JayFord

Reaction score
Sounds good

But we don’t do well the next season after winning the division

Anything less than a Super Bowl and people need to be removed

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Been over this on D ad nauseum.

On O we have 7 players who have appeared in Prow Bowls

Tyron
Zach
Travis
Prescott
Elliott
Cooper
Witten

Your other 4 starters on O are

C.Williams
L.Collins
M.Gallup
R.Cobb

... Lol I mean...*** do you want? Whatever an individual's opinion of Dak is, the dude is
33 and 17 as a starter. The rest of the roster should be healthier as well.
This team is a good. The 2007 team was loaded

mmohican29

Reaction score
This team is a good. The 2007 team was loaded

True but the deficiencies in the '07 team were more glaring and the team lacked any kind of humility.

And no-one knew how bad the NFL had it out for Dallas until that game. We were screwed badly in that Giants game.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Sounds good

But we don’t do well the next season after winning the division

Anything less than a Super Bowl and people need to be removed
So you're saying they better go all the way, or people get fired?
Conference championship be damned. And what if they go through a Dez Caught It moment like New Orleans last year to get in?
Still fire?

I find this absolutism interesting, although I can see the impatience of it all.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
jerry is right they should be better but they wont be their coaching staff will hold them back

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Its like some of have said all year long. Defense was never as good as it looked during regular season. When you have major holes like Heath/safety and DT, they get exploited by great coaching in the playoffs against great offenses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really don’t see why we’d think this team should be better than last year?

And we don’t know yet if our divisional rivals will be better than last year. And that goes for all of our opponents. What effects could that have?

Jerry as always is our Head Cheerleader. The ultimate optimist selling his product. Nothing more..

JBond

Reaction score
So you believe a Garrett run offense can put up 40+ against the Chiefs?