News: PFT: Josh Norman on Dez: Cowboys should get their $70 million back

mugsybows

Reaction score
Dez had Norman beat by 4 yards for a would be TD if Romo completes the pass.

Norman didn't shut Dez down. Romo shut Dez down. Wake me up next year when Norman is still on the radar. His mouth will get him burned.

This. I could see if romo was going to dez the whole game and Norman was breaking up passes and shutting him down but it wasn't that at all. Norman I think was physical on two plays.But hey it's their best start ever and he's probably playing the best football he ever will so if this is how you celebrate so be it. but to be happy with "shutting Dez down" don't be cuz you didn't.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Dude, you are oblivious. Dez has been injured and our starting QB as well. Forget that he lead the league in TDs last year and broke the franchise single season TD record--you know, touchdowns, those things that give you points and actually win games.

I'm not saying Dez is a scrub; I know that the guy can play. But look at last year...his dominant games came against Philly and Jacksonville.

A player of the caliber of Dez should not be held to the numbers he's been held to. If he isn't healthy, then don't play him if he isn't going to be able to give full effort. However, according to all sources, the guy is in game shape and is ready to go and if that's the case, he needs to show more than he has.

I admit, he didn't have much to work with as far as his QBs this season, but it's apparent that the guy checks out of games and seemingly doesn't give full effort when things aren't going well.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Again, you dont watch games. Pay attention to Brown today and how he is used.

Brown is a completely different receiver than Dez. AB lines up all over the place where as Dez usually plays on the outside.

I'm in no way saying that Dez is a bad player, but if he's healthy, he should be showing more than what he's shown thus far. I don't buy into the whole "if Dez was with _____, he'd be breaking records each season" narrative. He isn't head and shoulders above any of the top receivers in the league as far as natural ability and certainly not head and shoulders above any of those guys as far as football IQ is concerned.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
This. I could see if romo was going to dez the whole game and Norman was breaking up passes and shutting him down but it wasn't that at all. Norman I think was physical on two plays.But hey it's their best start ever and he's probably playing the best football he ever will so if this is how you celebrate so be it. but to be happy with "shutting Dez down" don't be cuz you didn't.

Norman easily took Dez out of the game. He made him mentally crap the bed from the word go.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Dez will be entering his 7th year next season. Typically receivers start slumping in their 9th season. Time to find his replacement. We got two more " good years" with him before he becomes a fitgerald slot receiver or used like roddy white

cml750

Reaction score
Well he did neutralize (or is neuter a better word??) Dez the entire game but the guy is not too smart talking trash like that. He should just let his play do all the talking.

T-RO

Reaction score
If they're not going to use him like any smart team would use their #1 WR after giving them a huge payday, then they should have let him walk. Jerry should force Garrett to study how other teams are getting the ball to their high priced WRs...

Des doesn't have the elite speed to run by anyone. He isn't jittery quick like some. He doesn't run great routes where he fools anyone. So the reality is that he just haven't have the type of toolset to create much separation.

Outside of a blatant pick play how can an offensive coordinator get Dez open? I don't see it happening. Not ever with any consistency.

What made Dez special last year is that he was using his size to shield defenders, his strength to outmuscle them, his hops to out-leap them. All of this is predicated upon being trust-worthy in his techniques and having a quarterback willing to throw him the ball even though well-covered...and in being *precise* in where to throw it.

Romo and Dez were killer, for instance, with the back-shoulder fade...and in those lofted sideline routes where Dez would only need to beat one defender.

The issue is not only with Dez getting healthy, but with the Cowboys quarterback situation in the future.

I agree that this offense doesn't seem real creative. But I don't think an OC's scheme is going to fix this as easily as you suggest.

erod

Reaction score
Talented small school guy. 5th round pick. When Dallas goes that route, the guy is lucky to be in the league after 2 years.
Except for Romo, Miles Austin, Church, Wilcox, Free, Beasley, Crayton, Coakley, Lissemore, Hatcher, and countless others.

Otherwise, great point.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Except for Romo, Miles Austin, Church, Wilcox, Free, Beasley, Crayton, Coakley, Lissemore, Hatcher, and countless others.

Otherwise, great point.

Norman plays CB, right? Where's your CB?
I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

cds99

Reaction score
Everyone has to see he has not lived up to the contract. You see demaryius thomas dropping passes like that? Dez is a good receiver, imo he is not elite though. Way to much drama with him and way too many errors in his game. You see thomas, megatron, jordy nelson, antoine brown going over to the coach, flipping a switch because you aren't getting the ball or whatever he was crying about to Garrett at the carolina game. If I was the coach I would grab him like a little kid and put him on the bench and tell him when he could act like a professional athlete then he could play.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dez had Norman beat by 4 yards for a would be TD if Romo completes the pass.

Norman didn't shut Dez down. Romo shut Dez down. Wake me up next year when Norman is still on the radar. His mouth will get him burned.

Which play was this 4 yard cushion? The two I saw Dez break free, I am not sure Norman was on him. One was definitely a LB.

kdog

Reaction score
Which play was this 4 yard cushion? The two I saw Dez break free, I am not sure Norman was on him. One was definitely a LB.

Dez in the Patriot, Greenbay or any other offensive scheme and we are talking about a truly great WR. The current offensive scheme in Dallas is horrible Rogers and Brady would destroy teams with a player like Dez Bryant.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Everyone has to see he has not lived up to the contract. You see demaryius thomas dropping passes like that? Dez is a good receiver, imo he is not elite though. Way to much drama with him and way too many errors in his game. You see thomas, megatron, jordy nelson, antoine brown going over to the coach, flipping a switch because you aren't getting the ball or whatever he was crying about to Garrett at the carolina game. If I was the coach I would grab him like a little kid and put him on the bench and tell him when he could act like a professional athlete then he could play.

Yes

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
This right here. This is the perfect summary of what dez Bryant is.

I had been trying to figure out why I like Julio Jones, Damarius Thomas, and Antonio brown more as a WR1. Don't get it twisted zoners, dez is without a doubt a top player in this league but guys who are faster and better route runners with a little size tend to produce more.

It makes perfect sense why they consistently have more receptions too.I think Antonio brown is first in most of his positions category as well.

Des doesn't have the elite speed to run by anyone. He isn't jittery quick like some. He doesn't run great routes where he fools anyone. So the reality is that he just haven't have the type of toolset to create much separation.

Outside of a blatant pick play how can an offensive coordinator get Dez open? I don't see it happening. Not ever with any consistency.

What made Dez special last year is that he was using his size to shield defenders, his strength to outmuscle them, his hops to out-leap them. All of this is predicated upon being trust-worthy in his techniques and having a quarterback willing to throw him the ball even though well-covered...and in being *precise* in where to throw it.

Romo and Dez were killer, for instance, with the back-shoulder fade...and in those lofted sideline routes where Dez would only need to beat one defender.

The issue is not only with Dez getting healthy, but with the Cowboys quarterback situation in the future.

I agree that this offense doesn't seem real creative. But I don't think an OC's scheme is going to fix this as easily as you suggest.