News: PFT: Lions don't seem to be getting as much interest in Stafford as expected

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think some teams may be looking to see what is happening on Watson and Rodgers before pulling the trigger on Stafford.

joseephuss

Reaction score
They own his rights.

Sort of I guess. He isn't under contract right now. He also hasn't been tagged(and signed the franchise tag) again yet. It is kind of a limbo situation. They technically own his rights, but they can't just flip him unless he agrees to some sort of deal first.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Lions don't seem to be getting as much interest in Matthew Stafford as expected - ProFootballTalk

GettyImages-1295063814-e1611789565330.jpg

When it comes to potential interest in Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, the glass is currently two-thirds empty. That's the obvious import of the news that a third of the league has reached out to the Lions. A third of the league. Ten teams. For a 32-year-old franchise quarterback who is going to get his wish [more]

Read Full Story
A 3rd of the teams is a lot. This guy's take is crapp.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stafford has 2 years left on contract.

He will bring a 1st plus. Put him on a team like CHI and they instantly become a super bowl contender.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Lions don't seem to be getting as much interest in Matthew Stafford as expected - ProFootballTalk

When it comes to potential interest in Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, the glass is currently two-thirds empty. That's the obvious import of the news that a third of the league has reached out to the Lions. A third of the league. Ten teams. For a 32-year-old franchise quarterback who is going to get his wish [more]

Read Full Story

Not surprising - if you are going to trade for someone Watson has to be your target. Once he's moved, the Lions will have more interest. Pretty clear that Indy is just waiting them out here.

jrumann59

Reaction score
10 teams is still a lot of teams. Denver, Houston, maybe NO, Carolina, WFT, Chicago, maybe NYG, NYJ, maybe Houston, maybe NE, Indy, maybe Dallas that is my list of teams possibly interested.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I mean they already agreed to mutually part ways whos gonna trade when you’re eventually going to let him go
ding, ding, we have a winner, but the dak groupies will make it out to look bad on Stafford. smh. the love is real, dak groupies do exist.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Read Full Story

The title doesn't match the story. 10 teams have called already. How many do they expect?

Some teams have better QBs, some teams feel they're already set, others plan to draft one, others want to go younger, etc.

It *may* be true that there is little interest, but that's not indicated by the number of calls, but maybe by what is being *offered* for him, which the article doesn't touch on at all.

Just more crappy journalism.

One thing about Stafford - he's cheap. Around 20mil the next two years. A good deal for a guy of his quality.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/

While his aggregate numbers are down, but various ratings and metrics, he's as good as he's ever been. Last two years were the highest QBRs of his career.

The Lions pick 7th. Could be they're just planning on taking a QB, and are getting out ahead of the game by getting rid of Stafford now.

Adreme

Reaction score
Stafford has 2 years left on contract.

He will bring a 1st plus. Put him on a team like CHI and they instantly become a super bowl contender.

Except he suffers from being the 2nd or 3rd best QB available. Sure I could trade you a 1st and a 3rd and get Stafford or I could trade 2 1sts and a 3rd and get Watson for 5 years instead of 2 and Watson is younger and better. That also does not give away what could happen with Rodgers and Dak and that its a reasonably deep QB draft. Basically Stafford is somewhere between the 2nd and 4th choice for a lot of teams and so you are not going to go big on that just yet until after the Watson issue is resolved.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Just half an hour ago I saw a report somewhere that half the league has called in to check on Stafford.

Just a week ago I saw a report somewhere that said 99% of the posters here think that Jaclyn Smith makes Bobby Carpenter look like LT.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Stafford's 32 and recently was a victim of back trouble, somewhat like Romo's. It's no small wonder that his desirability has waned to some extent. The Cowboys are one of the teams that have recently inquired about Stafford's situation but whether he's actually considered as a likely signee for us, or anyone else, is another question, entirely. It should prove fairly intriguing to see what comes of it.

Last edited:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Matt Stafford is a top 10-12 QB in the league. So yeah half the teams in the league should be interested if they arent stupid.

I know fans dont like to give credit to other team's players so they feel better about their own but dont be dense.

10-12 based on what? I'd say he's squarely in the ~15 range. He's aging and has no skins on the wall.

Flamma

Reaction score
A 3rd of the teams is a lot. This guy's take is crapp.

It is crapp, and crapp with two pees. Their isn't more than 10 teams that need him. A lot of the teams on that list make no sense. The browns, jags, Texans?

No team is going to acquire Matt to be backup. Nor will they if they're in a position to draft a young, cheap, promising rookie. Stafford will be a +20 million cap hit on any new team.

That leaves Colts, wash, Denver, saints, 49ers, and maybe a few more.