News: PFT: Lions don't seem to be getting as much interest in Stafford as expected

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think he's going to the Colts for the #21 pick. They want to compete now and he'll give them a few years of service where they can either re-up on a cheaper vet contract if he's playing solidly or turn the reins over to Eason/a younger QB.
It sounds like the Colts offered the 21st overall (which is, on paper, as at least as valuable as a late 2022 and 2023 1st the the Rams gave up).
But the Rams threw in a 2021 3rd and Goff.....and the Lions had a ton of cap.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is crapp, and crapp with two pees. Their isn't more than 10 teams that need him. A lot of the teams on that list make no sense. The browns, jags, Texans?

No team is going to acquire Matt to be backup. Nor will they if they're in a position to draft a young, cheap, promising rookie. Stafford will be a +20 million cap hit on any new team.

That leaves Colts, wash, Denver, saints, 49ers, and maybe a few more.
Rams? Heeeheee!!!!!

Flamma

Reaction score
Rams? Heeeheee!!!!!

Honestly, had I completed my list the Rams wouldn't have been one of my guesses. I see the logic, but teams don't usually use that logic. They should not have picked up his 5th year option. Or not given him an extension past his 5th year. He's another quarterback whos only chance at success is on a rookie contract or very low cap hit. What you pay your quarterback is the only way to mitigate teams that have better quarterbacks. If you pay them equally then you are at a disadvantage. Then only sheer luck can you get past those teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly, had I completed my list the Rams wouldn't have been one of my guesses. I see the logic, but teams don't usually use that logic. They should not have picked up his 5th year option. Or not given him an extension past his 5th year. He's another quarterback whos only chance at success is on a rookie contract or very low cap hit. What you pay your quarterback is the only way to mitigate teams that have better quarterbacks. If you pay them equally then you are at a disadvantage. Then only sheer luck can you get past those teams.
Plus, it never made sense giving Goff a huge contract extension. He's OK, but has never shown to be more than average to above average.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Not just the Rams. Multiple teams offered a 1st plus.

It's OK to be wrong. But it's kinda silly to not admit when you're wrong.
Other people seeing something differently to me doesn't make me wrong. I offered an opinion, right and wrong don't come into it. Only time will tell if Stafford is worth what the Rams gave up for him. It was and is my opinion that he probably isn't.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Other people seeing something differently to me doesn't make me wrong. I offered an opinion, right and wrong don't come into it. Only time will tell if Stafford is worth what the Rams gave up for him. It was and is my opinion that he probably isn't.

Are you an NFL GM?

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
From a guy who played in the league for a long time and was a receiver for Stafford:

Click through to Youtube, and start at about the 4:45 mark.

kskboys

Reaction score
When multiple experts disagree w/ you, you're wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
When multiple experts disagree w/ you, you're wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If that were true, every number 1 draft pick, big contract and coaching hire would work out.
Of the teams reportedly interested in obtaining Stafford, how many thought he was worth the high price and how many were qb needy and just kicking the tyres?
More teams weren't interested than were, are they "multiple experts'?