PFT: More Details on Nick Barnett Arrest

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POSTED 8:55 a.m. EDT, June 22, 2007
MORE DETAILS ON NICK BARNETT ARREST by Michael David Smith

Details are coming out about the arrest of Packers linebacker Nick Barnett, and they're a good reminder of why so many NFL coaches tell their players just not to go out to bars, nightclubs, strip clubs and other places with big crowds and flowing booze.

John Lee of Gannett Newspapers quotes one of the co-owners of the establishment where Barnett was arrested as saying that Barnett had a drink thrown in his face shortly before he was arrested for allegedly shoving a woman.

Lee quotes Kathy Peotter, co-owner of the nightclub, as describing a scene in which a half-dozen Packers showed up to the club that night after Brett Favre's charity softball game, and "they just want to be left alone." Peotter said one fan who wanted an autograph swore at a Packers player, and that another grabbed Barnett's arm while attempting to get an autograph. And then there's the drink to the face.

None of that excuses a 232-pound linebacker shoving a woman, and if Barnett did what he's accused of doing, he deserves to face both NFL discipline and legal trouble (the district attorney's office says it will be a week or more before there's a decision on whether to formally charge Barnett). But it's easy to understand how NFL players who go out to a bar just want to be left alone, and how an NFL player who goes out not looking for trouble can end up in trouble after he's been sworn at, grabbed, and had a drink thrown at him.

And that's the whole point. NFL coaches are always telling their players that even if they're not looking for trouble, they can end up in trouble. These are rich guys. They've got nice, big houses. If they want to get together, socialize and not be bothered by fans, they'd be wise to do it at a player's house. And call a cab if they have anything to drink.​

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
The continuing parade of stupid NFL players just amazes me.

Every single one of them grew up dreaming of being the next Johnny U or Staubach or Jerry Rice or whatever. They want the fame, the money, the girl and all that goes with it.

Yet they say they want to go out and be left alone.

WHAT?

You want to be famous, rich and all that but you want to go out and be left alone?

Then when they do go out and they get asked for autographs when they are out, they act like it's some big invasion of their personal space.

Now, I can understand they want to be left alone especially when they are with their family at a family establishment, but going to a bar and expecting that is absurd.

That doesn't excuse the drink in the face or grabbing the guys arm, although I'm not sure how much damage a woman could do to an NFL linebacker by grabbing him, but these guys have to understand the rules are different for them. Plus what kind of a jerk pushes a woman anyway? No man should ever put his hands on a woman to harm her for any reason and that part of it makes this guy an even bigger jerk, regardless of what she did.

They know that the new Commish is coming down on this kind of stuff, yet they put themselves in this position.

Totally moronic and if he gets suspended for a game then he deserves for being stupid.

sago1

Reaction score
The idea of doing it at another player's house sounds good but I can understand these guys just want to go out, have a beer or 2 and relax. They just need to understand that the price of being an NFL is being a target for fans who want their autographs and others who just want to stire up trouble which too many of NFL players won't walk away from.

Should wait until the facts are all in to determine what kind of punishment it warrants. If he's never been in trouble before & just (lightly?) pushing a woman doesn't warrant a suspension but the coaching staff needs to get on these players and point out Barnett as an example of what can happen.

Reality is that NFL players aren't and never can be just like other people particularly where booze is freely flowing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this article gives some insight into the restrictions on players - and celebrities in general.

You don't have to go out 'looking for trouble' to find it.

But it's easy to find if you're looking for it.

And I don't have sympathy for this 'plight' but I understand it. And it comes as part of the 'big money' package so those in that position have to deal with it.

And anyone tired of dealing with it can change professions.

Then nobody will care what they do.

sacase

Reaction score
Sorry if the woman threw the drink in his face and he shoved her, there should be no charges filed. In fact, they could file against her since she assulted him. No sympathy for her at all.

Side note - I never got the point of getting someone's autograph. I mean, so what, they signed a piece of paper, it doesn't mean you actually know them. I guess I am immune to grouppieitus

onetrickpony

Reaction score
It goes beyond just fans looking for a free autograph. Greedy people are always looking for a free meal ticket. Antagonizing a rich celebrity into doing something stupid is free money in today's court system.

Heck, if I was drunk enough in a bar I might just go for it myself, except that I don't drink or go to bars.

;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;1535409 said:
The continuing parade of stupid NFL players just amazes me.

Every single one of them grew up dreaming of being the next Johnny U or Staubach or Jerry Rice or whatever. They want the fame, the money, the girl and all that goes with it.

Yet they say they want to go out and be left alone.

WHAT?

You want to be famous, rich and all that but you want to go out and be left alone?

Then when they do go out and they get asked for autographs when they are out, they act like it's some big invasion of their personal space.

Now, I can understand they want to be left alone especially when they are with their family at a family establishment, but going to a bar and expecting that is absurd.

That doesn't excuse the drink in the face or grabbing the guys arm, although I'm not sure how much damage a woman could do to an NFL linebacker by grabbing him, but these guys have to understand the rules are different for them. Plus what kind of a jerk pushes a woman anyway? No man should ever put his hands on a woman to harm her for any reason and that part of it makes this guy an even bigger jerk, regardless of what she did.

They know that the new Commish is coming down on this kind of stuff, yet they put themselves in this position.

Totally moronic and if he gets suspended for a game then he deserves for being stupid.
I agree with everything except the part which I highlighted. It is an invasion of personal space--just as it would be for any other human being. Fame strips a person of their anonymity, but it does not remove a person's right to be treated with equal respect. People willfully choose to set aside the same respect they fully expect for themselves in public to satisfy their own personal pleasures. Still, that is something which a famous person like an NFL player does not always take for granted and ultimately pays the price for simply ignoring the obvious.

notherbob

Reaction score
sacase;1535423 said:
Sorry if the woman threw the drink in his face and he shoved her, there should be no charges filed. In fact, they could file against her since she assulted him. No sympathy for her at all.

Side note - I never got the point of getting someone's autograph. I mean, so what, they signed a piece of paper, it doesn't mean you actually know them. I guess I am immune to grouppieitus

I agree, it appears to me that she and apparently others invaded the privacy of these players and then became beligerant and started trouble with them. I don't know anything about it but I think their autographs are worth money since a lot of people pay the noteworthies for their autograph and the barflies were just wanting something they could get money for and became angry when the players balked because they really didn't want to do it as they just wanted to hang with each other for a while undisturbed, not be part of a big todo - just my guess.

Just another reason why I wouldn't want to be famous, I enjoy my solitude and anonymity.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
notherbob;1535451 said:
I agree, it appears to me that she and apparently others invaded the privacy of these players and then became beligerant and started trouble with them. I don't know anything about it but I think their autographs are worth money since a lot of people pay the noteworthies for their autograph and the barflies were just wanting something they could get money for and became angry when the players balked because they really didn't want to do it as they just wanted to hang with each other for a while undisturbed, not be part of a big todo - just my guess.

Just another reason why I wouldn't want to be famous, I enjoy my solitude and anonymity.
It wouldn't surprise me if she had already intended to post his autograph on Ebay immediately afterwards. We may think his signature doesn't have any value, but there is always someone out there who will put a price on something we would consider worthless.

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
Well, now we know Nick Barnetts' name. Sadly, probably exactly what he wanted. He's the next NFL BadBoy in a long emerging list, and only had to slightly shove a woman to become get on it.

And yall from big cities, or those of you thinking you know what Green Bay is. Don't assume. This place is a pitstop on the road to empty. Nothing here. Trouble, if wanted, can be avoided quite easily. And yes, even for a NFL player or any other celebrity. It is a drop in the barrel compared to other cities. Literally. Laughable, really. Barnett was waiting for trouble and got it.

And to add; I believe it has to be alot worse then is being made of here. Green Bay protects their players, period. If the rest of the world knew the degree of drugs, drinking and affairs just Brett Favre has been associated with, but never hit the mainstream media, I believe it would blow people's minds. The simple fact that this is making headlines tells me it's more than just a simple shove. I need no more to make that assessment. It would have been pushed under the rug if it was nothing. No two ways about it. Cop probablly drives him home and asks for his autograph. The woman is in jail. That's how it plays up here unless it's something more.

And notice how the DA is going to take a sweet week to make up their decision. Nothing will come of this. Just some time needed to let it blow over. I imagine Packer personal is working overtime with the league right now, because that is a new twist in the system they suddenly have to worry about. They'll manage though, he'll get off scott-free.

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
DallasEast;1535454 said:
It wouldn't surprise me if she had already intended to post his autograph on Ebay immediately afterwards. We may think his signature doesn't have any value, but there is always someone out there who will put a price on something we would consider worthless.

And that should matter why? Once upon a time he was playing the game because he loves it. Now it's for a payday. For publicity. Who's immoral?

Mash

Reaction score
If these reports are true.....I have no sympathy for the women who was supposely pushed...

Because you are a celeb...athlete...etc...it still gives people no right to treat you as you have to owe them something......

Barnett should be pressing charges instead of the other way around.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Minor benefit of doubt, but maybe he was just reacting to the overly aggressive behavior. He didn't hit her, but he probably pushed her to get her away from him.

Full article from the link:

Woman tossed drink at Barnett, co-owner of nightclub says

Incident 'blown out of proportion,' according to Peotter

By John Lee
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

APPLETON — A woman threw a drink at Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett shortly before he was arrested last weekend for allegedly shoving a woman at a downtown nightclub, one of the establishment's co-owners said Thursday.

The co-owner, Kathy Peotter, also said she was not arguing with Barnett when police arrived at the nightclub Wet, 344 W. College Ave., and subsequently arrested him on a misdemeanor battery offense.

"I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion," Peotter said. "I'm not going to say Nick was on his best behavior that night, because he wasn't, but this is getting blown way out of proportion."

Peotter said Barnett has been coming into the club for months, and that there were more Packers than usual at the nightclub because of Sunday's Brett Favre charity softball game at Fox Cities Stadium. She said there were probably a half-dozen Packers in the club that night, at least two of them with their wives.

"They just want to be left alone," she said.

Peotter said two women who were trying to get an autograph from another player, who was at the club with his wife, swore at the player. Another fan grabbed Barnett's arm and asked for an autograph, she said.

One of the bartenders told Peotter that a woman threw a drink at Barnett shortly before a woman was shoved or fell to the ground. Peotter said it wasn't clear if it was the same woman involved in both incidents.

Barnett, 26, was jailed briefly early Sunday after the incident at the club, and Appleton police Sgt. Pat DeWall said Thursday that officers investigating the case still are conducting witness interviews. He said the department hopes reports can be sent to Outagamie County District Attorney Carrie Schneider's office early next week.

Schneider said it will be a week or more after she receives the report from police before she decides whether to formally charge Barnett.

"That's if I need additional follow-up and need to talk to witnesses any more," Schneider said.

Packers public relations director Jeff Blumb said the team would decline comment on the issue other than the extensive comments Packers coach Mike McCarthy made earlier in the week.

"I don't know if there is much we can say that he hasn't said anyway," Blumb said.

McCarthy said he has discussed the incident with Barnett. The team is concerned because of the NFL's new, stringent personal-conduct policy that allows the commissioner to suspend players for a wide range of illegal or untoward behavior off the field.

"I'm not going to sit here and go through the specifics of the incident," McCarthy said Monday. "But there's two sides to every story. I've listened to his side and we'll let the process take its course."

Mash

Reaction score
Sorry Yeg,

I disagree....man or women disrespects me...or hits me...u better expect the same returned...sorry...

Ive never hit a women....but Ive told many...u touch me...expect the same returned...

Too many times Ive seen women whail on a man at a bar and nothing is done....nothing...

What gives them the right? because they know most men wont ***** slap them back.

I guess...these celebs...or...athletes could always have one women bouncer protecting them....then...if something like this happens....it will be considered ok...since its two women fighting.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Mash;1535552 said:
Sorry Yeg,

I disagree....man or women disrespects me...or hits me...u better expect the same returned...sorry...

Ive never hit a women....but Ive told many...u touch me...expect the same returned...

Too many times Ive seen women whail on a man at a bar and nothing is done....nothing...

What gives them the right? because they know most men wont ***** slap them back.

I guess...these celebs...or...athletes could always have one women bouncer protecting them....then...if something like this happens....it will be considered ok...since its two women fighting.

There is the honorable path ... and then there is your path.

Cowards hit women.

Mash

Reaction score
I never hit a women....ever....

I just warned them....big difference....

Sorry...just dont have any respect for a women taking advantage of that moral rule.

Also...I wonder if its ok....for a 300 pound man to beat a 100 weakling....because....well....they are both men.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
It's called a VIP section fellas... even the bums on the roster might be able to afford it if they do it sparsely enough.... lord knows Barnett has the money.

People are going to try and get a rise out of you, epecially the types of women that hang out at clubs ( though not certainly all of them by any strech) and NFL players and such should know that. They know the rules of engagement, they should know better than the push back so to speak... If you get a drink in your face and you don't fight back, people will definitely recognize you haven't hammered the guys face in and mauled him for a pretty darn good reason.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Mash;1535552 said:
Sorry Yeg,

We'll have to agree to disagree.