News: PFT: NFL: Goodell was aware of Kia Roberts’ opinions

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
It does when you Lisa Friel says that she doesn't find the accuser credible at all and still suggests a 6-game suspension. And when one of your advisers states, point blank, that Tiffany Thompson was the eyewitness to her own accusation...while ignoring the actual eyewitnesses who gave sworn affidavits stating the opposite of Thompson.
I could not have said it better.

YR

goshan

Reaction score
It does when you Lisa Friel says that she doesn't find the accuser credible at all and still suggests a 6-game suspension. And when one of your advisers states, point blank, that Tiffany Thompson was the eyewitness to her own accusation...while ignoring the actual eyewitnesses who gave sworn affidavits stating the opposite of Thompson.

YR

Ok. I hear you. But NFL is taking position that it looked at all evidence, and saying the physical evidence and other testimonies drove the DV suspension decision. Which is what Lisa Friel is saying. It may feel like poor use of logic and unreasonable, but I think it will be very difficult to argue for a conspiracy. I believe the 'conspiracy accusation' is the NFLPA's attempt to fight this in public perception, which is a smart move. Don't think it has a chance in court. Lack of a 'fair process' could have a chance in court, but I don't know the exact language in the CBA or legal precedent on that issue.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't see the argument for conspiracy. He made the decision based upon all the information and evidence. He is saying he had it all. He went against the lead investigator. It doesn't imply a conspiracy at all.

How's this?

The league has taken a beating over DV cases in the past. A high profile one slides across their desk and gives them the opportunity to get some positive PR and try to change the narrative that the league is soft on DV. They have a case with flimsy evidence and a witness who has credibility issues.

But in their eyes, if they can nail a star player for DV even with the lack of real evidence, it's going to play well with all their detractors over the years. So what they do is piece together their flimsy evidence as best they can while ignoring other evidence and even their own expert in order to reach a predetermined outcome that will help them start to change the narrative that they are soft on DV.

How's that for a conspiracy?

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok. I hear you. But NFL is taking position that it looked at all evidence, and saying the physical evidence and other testimonies drove the DV suspension decision. Which is what Lisa Friel is saying. It may feel like poor use of logic and unreasonable, but I think it will be very difficult to argue for a conspiracy. I believe the 'conspiracy accusation' is the NFLPA's attempt to fight this in public perception, which is a smart move. Don't think it has a chance in court. Lack of a 'fair process' could have a chance in court, but I don't know the exact language in the CBA or legal precedent on that issue.

What other testimonies? The only real testimony they have that supports their claim in Thompson. And yet they tried to tell people that they didn't really rely on her testimony (imagine that considering she has little credibility) and in fact relied on physical evidence.

Which by the way, includes photos of injuries THAT THEIR OWN MEDICAL EXPERTS ADMITTED COULD HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY A VARIETY OF ACTIVITIES, not simply Elliott hitting her.

goshan

Reaction score
What other testimonies? The only real testimony they have that supports their claim in Thompson. And yet they tried to tell people that they didn't really rely on her testimony (imagine that considering she has little credibility) and in fact relied on physical evidence.

Which by the way, includes photos of injuries THAT THEIR OWN MEDICAL EXPERTS ADMITTED COULD HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY A VARIETY OF ACTIVITIES, not simply Elliott hitting her.

Medical experts, DV expert and the physical evidence. Just communicating what I am reading, not taking a side.

Sydla

Reaction score
Medical experts, DV expert and the physical evidence. Just communicating what I am reading, not taking a side.

LOL. Not taking a side.

Interesting that you mention medical experts first. Because if you read the filings, it appears the league's medical experts weren't as solid in helping the league's narrative. As noted, in the letter to Elliott, the league talked about how medical experts concluded the injuries on Thompson fit with someone being abused. And yet, it appears the medical experts gave a little more testimony than that including admitting that those injuries also could have been caused by a bunch of other activities and not solely Elliott hitting her, including getting into a fight with another girl......... which guess what? Happened and there are three affidavits proving she got into a fight with another girl one night in question.

Funny how the league failed to mention that in their explanation of Elliott's punishment.

Jenky

Reaction score
I don't see the argument for conspiracy. He made the decision based upon all the information and evidence. He is saying he had it all. He went against the lead investigator. It doesn't imply a conspiracy at all.

1) The NFL's report wasn't released and not made there process for investigation was not made transparent.
2) The Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill reports NFL lead investigator Kia Roberts recommended no suspension for Ezekiel Elliott.

It is notable because Roberts says she is the only NFL official who interviewed Elliott's accuser, and her recommendation was omitted from the NFL's report. Hill also reports Roberts was barred from a meeting discussing potential discipline, something the NFLPA believes was a serious flaw in the discipline process. She did testify during the appeals hearing, and her testimony among other things "improved" the likelihood Elliott's suspension is reduced or even overturned, according to Hill. Appeals officer Harold Henderson is reportedly "under pressure" to reach his decision by Monday, so hopefully we will know Zeke's fate in the next several days.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

jday

Reaction score
Being the NFL's Special Counsel for Investigation now we know why the Giants kicker gets 1 game and Zeke gets 6. This article describes her as a rabid Giant fan

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/...-do-as-the-nfls-top-investigator.html?mcubz=0

Conflict of interest much!
That is truly nauseating. For me, football and the results of games take a back seat to justice. That's just how I feel about it. In fact, in the wake of the St Patty's Day incident that involved Zeke pulling down a girls top I fully advocated a 2 week suspension. I'm a fan, but I'm a father first, and what he did, I felt, was indecent and unprofessional. Had the league handed down a suspension for that, I would have been perfectly fine with it and hope that Zeke learns from it.

What Lisa Friel has done from the Ray Rice case, to the Josh Brown case and now this case has been bad, to terrible, to ridiculously horrendous. Why? Because in the wake of this, we will see it only hurt the brand more and made it all the more difficult for women with legitimate accusations to come forward. Lisa Friel, and by extension, the NFL at large should be ashamed. They took a bad situation and made it worse than I could possibly imagine.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Then why was it not in the report? Why was not the information on the inconsistency memo in the report either?

This also begs the question: what other mitigating evidence did they leave out of the report?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Interesting............ Goodell had plausible deniability here but now they've gone all in. They are going to fight like hell that they did follow procedures..........
Not surprising looking at how he handled Tom Brady. The guy is power hungry. He thinks he's untouchable.

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
NFL: Goodell was aware of Kia Roberts’ opinions

The allegation that league executives conspired to keep the opinions of director of investigations Kia Roberts from Commissioner Roger Goodell is not accurate.

“I can tell you without any hesitation that this is false,” NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart told PFT by phone on Friday morning.

Lockhart explained that Goodell was aware of the views of everyone on the team. Roberts, according to Elliott’s lawsuit, believed Tiffany Thompson was not credible, and that Elliott should not be suspended.

“It’s categorically false that the information was kept from the Commission,” Lockhart said.

Lockhart did not dispute the notion that Roberts believed Thompson to not be credible. He noted that the Commissioner was aware of Roberts’ concerns regarding the credibility of Thompson and other witnesses.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/01/nfl-goodell-was-aware-of-kia-roberts-opinions/

The Zeke Case Has So Much Eerie Similarities To Former FBI Director James Comey who began drafting a statement months In Advance before finishing investigation exonerating the former HRC Secretary of State of any wrongdoing related to her mishandling of classified material.Now We Have The NFLPA and Elliott file suit alleging "League-orchestrated conspiracy by senior NFL executives to hide critical information..So Folks What We Got Here There Was Never an Investigation..Where Is The Rule Of Law..Comey Is Gone Now
Its Time For Goodell To Be Gone..Enough Is Enough..

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I believe Roger new, my question is did the 4 person INDEPENDENT body get to here the lead investigators findings?
Of course he knew. He knew what the verdict was as soon as the investigation started. Let them fight it. It's probably better in the long run. Bring them all down.

goshan

Reaction score
1) The NFL's report wasn't released and not made there process for investigation was not made transparent.
2) The Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill reports NFL lead investigator Kia Roberts recommended no suspension for Ezekiel Elliott.

It is notable because Roberts says she is the only NFL official who interviewed Elliott's accuser, and her recommendation was omitted from the NFL's report. Hill also reports Roberts was barred from a meeting discussing potential discipline, something the NFLPA believes was a serious flaw in the discipline process. She did testify during the appeals hearing, and her testimony among other things "improved" the likelihood Elliott's suspension is reduced or even overturned, according to Hill. Appeals officer Harold Henderson is reportedly "under pressure" to reach his decision by Monday, so hopefully we will know Zeke's fate in the next several days.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

ok. I get you on leaving it out of the report, and not allowing her into a meeting. I guess conspiracy could be the word, definitely an argument for an unfair/biased process and also not revealing all the information coming out of the investigation. It's hard for me to believe Goodell would take this big of a risk (6 game suspension for DV), knowing the pressure from Jones, the poor credibility of Thompson and the opinion of his lead investigator. Very surprising he went that direction now that everything is in the open.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Zeke Case Has So Much Eerie Similarities To Former FBI Director James Comey who began drafting a statement months In Advance before finishing investigation exonerating the former HRC Secretary of State of any wrongdoing related to her mishandling of classified material.Now We Have The NFLPA and Elliott file a suit alleging "League-orchestrated conspiracy by senior NFL executives.”..So Folks What We Got Here There Was Never an Investigation..Where Is The Rule Of Law..Comey Is Gone Now Its Time For Goodell To Be Gone..Enough Is Enough..

LOL.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Looks like the NFL has made their decision to go all in ..

I believe I've made mine too. I think I will sit out this season and not watch any NFL games. They (like the NBA) disgusts me. I no longer watch NBA and it's possible I will no longer watch the NFL. I think I only watched like five games last year. Zero shouldn't be too hard to do.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Think about it, bro. The lead investigator was the only person that interviewed the accuser Tiffany Thompson. That investigator is reportedly a body language expert and can tell when someone is lying. She did not believe Tiffany. Regardless of rather or not Goodell saw the report or not is ridiculously beside the point because he is part of the NFL. All this means, if he did in fact see her findings is that he is in fact part of the conspiracy.
And we all knew that to begin with. He's just proving it to everybody. Should have stayed with being ignorant. That way he would have a safety net. Not now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ok. I get you on leaving it out of the report, and not allowing her into a meeting. I guess conspiracy could be the word, definitely an argument for an unfair/biased process and also not revealing all the information coming out of the investigation. It's hard for me to believe Goodell would take this big of a risk (6 game suspension for DV), knowing the pressure from Jones, the poor credibility of Thompson and the opinion of his lead investigator. Very surprising he went that direction now that everything is in the open.

What risk is he taking? What does he have to lose? And let's be clear, this is the same guy that was saying that guys with CTE could have gotten it from swimming.

There is absolutely no downside to him lying to the press. If he is caught it doesn't matter. His public opinion is in the toilet already and they don't care about legal costs one bit.