News: PFT: NFL will file for expedited appeal in Ezekiel Elliott case

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't see a Schefter tweet saying stay was granted. It seems he may have deleted the tweet.

CWR

Reaction score
We need our resident attorneys to translate this garbage. What are the odds the NFL pulls this crap off? Im thinking slim, but what do I know?

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
He tweeted that the stay was granted. Doesn't that mean the PI would be lifted? I think that tweet has been removed and he then tweeted that they filed their appeal with the 5th Circuit. I think the initial tweet was wrong or misworded.
No, he quoted the NFL's proposed order. Doesn't know how to read a docket or something.

phildadon86

Reaction score
"The league will also file a motion asking for a stay of the case to block any further action being taken by District Court Judge Amos L. Mazzant III pending the appeal at some point in the next 24 hours."

That will enamor them with the judge!.. How not to make friends and alienate people.
I really hope this doesn't end badly for us. Seriously

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer but was just doing a little research on the process.

1. The league had to file the motion for an emergency stay in district court before they could then take it to the appeals court. That has been done.
2. The rest of the filing is basically arguing that Mazzant got involved when he shouldn't have - which is what the NFL is going to have to hang their hat on to have any chance.
3. Mazzant has already ruled that he took that into consideration and disagrees so there's no chance he will grant the stay.
4. This is all part of the process. The league - as any litigant would in this instance - is simply exhausting all potential avenues. Most of these filings are a long shot until after Mazzant has a hearing on the merits of the case. Then it will go to appeal and that's when the league actually has a chance at winning. Although I think the facts still side with Zeke and the NFLPA.

DMAC

Reaction score
Is it possible the hearing comes and Zeke could miss the end of season and or playoffs?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Is it possible the hearing comes and Zeke could miss the end of season and or playoffs?
Yes that is always a problem

But they should either have the injunction lifted shortly or it will go to a full trial that will take months and can always be appealed

The chance of missing the playoffs is very slim but it exists

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Nothing is impossible but it's super close. If by some miracle the NFL gets their stay then he'd serve before end/playoffs. Most likely outcome is judge/motions panel deny NFL and then it will take months and months for outcome (JMO).

Gameover

Reaction score
I actually think Zeke is innocent, why is the NFL so determined in this case?

Law enforcement choose not to charge, now that doesn't mean innocence, but you can get a feel when the believe a person is guilty but you just can't prove it, and you can tell when they believe a accusations have no merit

The lady that interviewed the accuser recommended no suspension... what evidence does the NFL have?

I would sue the hell out of the league if I were Zeke, and I would retire. Bring the NFL to its knees