News: PFT: NFL will file for expedited appeal in Ezekiel Elliott case

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
The entire NFL case is based on unprofessional expert medical witnesses and Friel's interpretation of what relationship TT and EE had. She found Elliott not credible because he did not characterize Thompson as his girlfriend.
The NFL is as good as it's commissioner, which indicts it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Understand. But this is about honor. And I would bet someone more money than they care to lose he actually wins the thing.

Not happening. Goodell is within his rights per the CBA to do this. As wrong as it is, the commissioner can suspend on a whim to pander to women. Which is all this is.

Zeke is merely delaying the inevitable.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The players aren't even asking for a neutral arbitrator...the CBA gives Goodell the power to dole out punishment and hear/rule on appeals. What the CBA doesn't do is give Goodell power to act in a principally unfair manner in these things. That's what is at issue here, if I'm understanding all of this correctly.

It's an absolute witch hunt now. The league should be embarrassed of their actions. Sad news is...in the end...it will the fans that pay the price. When the NFLPA and the players strike to get a fair deal.:rolleyes:

That's the only way the NFL will be forced to give up their grip on the league.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Not happening. Goodell is within his rights per the CBA to do this. As wrong as it is, the commissioner can suspend on a whim to pander to women. Which is all this is.

Nope. It is a question of the position of the red line. He couldn't, for instance, on a whim, suspend Aaron Rodgers a day before the Super Bowl without evidence. He couldn't proscribe the firing squad as a punishment. People are being absolute, but this isn't absolute. At some point, he will cross the line. My guess is he crossed it here. We shall see.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
It's an absolute witch hunt now. The league should be embarrassed of their actions. Sad news is...in the end...it will the fans that pay the price. When the NFLPA and the players strike to get a fair deal.:rolleyes:

That's the only way the NFL will be forced to give up their grip on the league.
I really wouldn't be surprised to learn that the league would secretly like to get rid of the power they have with art. 46 Because of the PR headache that comes with it, though they've brought it upon themselves through their abuse of the power. They'll claim otherwise in hopes of getting something in return, but I think they would love to be rid of that headache. Of course, I could be totally off base on this.

jordan4vols

Reaction score
Nope. It is a question of the position of the red line. He couldn't, for instance, on a whim, suspend Aaron Rodgers a day before the Super Bowl without evidence. He couldn't proscribe the firing squad as a punishment. People are being absolute, but this isn't absolute. At some point, he will cross the line. My guess is he crossed it here. We shall see.
This is where I think article 46 will not hold up. Talking heads seem to gloss over the fact that it says the commissioner can suspend without criminal conviction but with "credible" evidence. The question can be raised as to whether credible evidence exists in this case especially when the lead investigator thinks there isn't

arglebargle

Reaction score
As I understand it, the wording of the law governing the monopoly exemption is superior to the CBA. And the judge has already raised the possibility of the NFL may have transgressed the CBA in the first place.

In any case, if the NFL keeps going down this road, Zeke should keep sueing. Keep rubbing their nose in their misbehavior.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think it is silly to ask for an expedited appeal when the NFL waited until near the start of the season to suspend Elliott, forcing Elliott to seek an injunction in order to fight the suspension.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I think it is silly to ask for an expedited appeal when the NFL waited until near the start of the season to suspend Elliott, forcing Elliott to seek an injunction in order to fight the suspension.
The NFL is silly. And that string is about to be shipped. Really think they played a pair of aces as if it were a royal flush.

TheFinisher

Reaction score

He's in his right to suspend players as he sees fit, but the process of how he gets there is relevant. I'm not a labor law expert, but those who are seem to think the NFLPA has a good shot at winning. The fact that Kia Roberts is testifying that the NFL process was done unfairly and ignored her findings as lead investigator throws a monkey wrench into this thing. That's exactly how J. Mazzant viewed it as well.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I would rather wait until we draft Saquon Barkley next year

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would rather wait until we draft Saquon Barkley next year

Would be nice if it's pushed back to where a decision is made in the offseason so that the team can actually prepare for his absence if the suspension is upheld.

sideon

Reaction score
I understand that Zeke should fight this to the end to prove his innocence but this thing will end with him still suspended for 6 games. I'd rather do it now and get it over with.
I'd rather he do it next year, that way the Cowboys can look for a RB in the 2nd-4th round of the draft.