News: PFT: Sean Lee leaning toward playing again

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But yeah, blame the team for not planning some radical revision to Lee's role when he's not practicing.

Lee was out for most of the regular season. He could learn SAM. He likely knows all the LB spots already.

All he had to be was better than Damien Wilson.

Jipper

Reaction score
Lee was out for most of the regular season. He could learn SAM. He likely knows all the LB spots already.

All he had to be was better than Damien Wilson.

Again....he spent more time injured than playing so regardless if he ca learn a position there is zero confidence in his availability.

He's going to be a year older, injuries get more prevalent with age not the reverse...his days as a key piece of this defense are over and the only question left is can his contract be adjusted enough to accept as a depth and role player

HanD

Reaction score
I'm wondering if he can be the strong side lb - it's maybe 35% of the total snaps so although strong side is more wear, it is substantially fewer snaps. I'd keep his deal as is if he could play there - it's a 4 mill difference the keep vs. cut. He's a huge part of LVE and Jaylon's development, so to me, some of that money is well spent on keeping him.

He'll be a $7 million depth guy that needs his own depth guy. If LVE gets injured the odds are pretty good that Lee will have already been injured first.

His cap hit is 10m even though his base salary is 7m.. The cap hit is 3m if he is cut. Cutting him saves all his 7m base salary.

https://overthecap.com/player/sean-lee/658/

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Again....he spent more time injured than playing so regardless if he ca learn a position there is zero confidence in his availability.

He's going to be a year older, injuries get more prevalent with age not the reverse...his days as a key piece of this defense are over and the only question left is can his contract be adjusted enough to accept as a depth and role player

SLee > DWilson. #57 can't cover.

Look for Richard (who better be DC this year) to have more 4-3 packages with Lee.

They can extend Lee's career by taking him out on passing downs.

John813

Reaction score
More than likely he gets cuts, joins another team, plays for 5 more years never missing a game.

LOL

Jipper

Reaction score
SLee > DWilson. #57 can't cover.

Look for Richard (who better be DC this year) to have more 4-3 packages with Lee.

They can extend Lee's career by taking him out on passing downs.

No they can't, he's shown he has had hamstrings....even limiting his use he is going to get injured and then you are right back to the other guy.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand he's an aging lb with bad hamstrings and a propensity to get injured....that only gets worse.

Loved Lee but time to relaeas and move ob

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Eh. If he can earn a spot let him. Won’t be the first time an aging warrior made a bit of a comeback and showed he still had something left in the tank.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they dump this put dated defense and put Richard as DC, and run more of a true 4-3 scheme. And not this 4 - 2 - 5 stuff most of the time.
They can get LVE, Sean and Jaylon all on the field more often. Get a true DT instead of this 1-tech / 3-tech crap. And at least one stud S, like ET.

Then they can make it work.

But what the heck do I know, it is just the old "eyeball" theory of what I see. :muttley:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
At one point he was on the same level as Luke K. for the Panthers but the difference was Lee was always hurt and standing in civilian clothes instead of a uniform on the sideline.

nobody

Reaction score
And if LVE gets injured? Who goes in? Lee is depth, so it wasn't a ridiculous statement at all.

What Roadtrip said. If Sean Lee accepts tearing up the contract and coming back for more than vet minimum but not even close to what he'd make otherwise, then I'd be okay with him playing. He's a health risk plain and simple. His cap cost doesn't make up for the amount of games he's sure to miss. His mind, however, is still ultra useful. He'd be a great coach. Is there a rule about someone being a player and a coach at the same time and having different salaries for each?

Don't get me wrong, when he's practiced and healthy, he's amazing. The problem is that he never remains that for long.

conner01

Reaction score
So he wants to collect millions just to spend more time with the trainers and medical staff? That's a sweet deal. Dude needs to stop playing and transition to coaching. It's time.
Money has never been the motivation for Lee
He’s taken very team friendly contracts and could have left and made much more
Players aren’t at fault when they get injured but few give the team salary relief from injuries

nobody

Reaction score
Money has never been the motivation for Lee
He’s taken very team friendly contracts and could have left and made much more
Players aren’t at fault when they get injured but few give the team salary relief from injuries

I know Lee is a team player. But the fact of the matter is that he's just not worth the salary he commands right now as a player due to his health. It's a sad fact, but it's a fact. His mind is still great and that is why I think Jerry should offer him a nice package to coach instead. I think he'd be a terrific LB coach and possibly eventually DC down the road.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think his time is up. He can be an unbelievable coach but I think his time has come to pass the reigns and not step on the field and either get hurt or make himself look bad.

conner01

Reaction score
I know Lee is a team player. But the fact of the matter is that he's just not worth the salary he commands right now as a player due to his health. It's a sad fact, but it's a fact. His mind is still great and that is why I think Jerry should offer him a nice package to coach instead. I think he'd be a terrific LB coach and possibly eventually DC down the road.
If Lee wants to play more than another year I would let him go chase that dream
If he wants to play out his contract as depth here I’d keep him in a heartbeat, the depth is worth it to me

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't seem to me like we're willing (or able?) to move him or one of the other linebackers to the third linebacker position. I absolutely do not understand why when he came on the field either Jaylon or (mainly) LVE went off.

Unless that changes, then I can't see him returning next year. I'd love to see him in a limited role on the field at the same time as Smith and Vander Esch, but if we're not going to do that then there's no way we keep him as a glorified sub.
This season the team would have had to make force that change on the fly without sufficient time to prepare because early on they were easing LVE into the mix, then much of the rest of the season Lee was either completely out or limited in practice. In the coming year they may have the opportunity to work on that change in the offseason and through training camp.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So he wants to collect millions just to spend more time with the trainers and medical staff? That's a sweet deal. Dude needs to stop playing and transition to coaching. It's time.

I agree, but the players never know when it's over.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys act like injuries don't happen, his deal is very team friendly getting rid of him would be just plain stupid. We have been lucky regardless of record how healthy we have been in relation to the rest of the NFL, most homers won't know that though.

How is his deal "team friendly"?