News: PFT: Sean Lee leaning toward playing again

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some people definitely push the 'Sean Lee should coach' narrative. Do they stop and consider whether Lee wants to coach at this stage of his life? Lee may not have the Kellen Moore's inclination of immediately becoming a coach. And even if he does want to become a coach, why is the inference so strong that he will coach in Dallas?

Obviously, Lee wants to play. Question is whether it will be as a backup here or him exiting to another team?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Lee wants to play more than another year I would let him go chase that dream
If he wants to play out his contract as depth here I’d keep him in a heartbeat, the depth is worth it to me

Depth isn't worth $10 million a year. Not at backup quarterback, much less linebacker.

conner01

Reaction score
Depth isn't worth $10 million a year. Not at backup quarterback, much less linebacker.
First it’s not 10 mil you save by cutting him, it’s 7
Second the help he bring to developing LVE and Jaylon is worth some and a vet depth player who can play all 3 spots is likely to cost a couple mil
If he wants to keep playing beyond next year then I’d let him chase that dream
If he wants to play as depth another year I’d gladly pay the 7 mil which is already included in our cap and transition him to LB coach

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First it’s not 10 mil you save by cutting him, it’s 7

For a total cost of $10 million. Thanks

Second the help he bring to developing LVE and Jaylon is worth some and a vet depth player who can play all 3 spots is likely to cost a couple mil

Yeah, $3 million, which he already costs either way. If he wants to play for vet minimum? Sure, welcome back. Do you expect that to happen?

If he wants to keep playing beyond next year then I’d let him chase that dream
If he wants to play as depth another year I’d gladly pay the 7 mil which is already included in our cap and transition him to LB coach

That's dumb.

There's no "chase your dreams" cap exemption.

conner01

Reaction score
For a total cost of $10 million. Thanks

Yeah, $3 million, which he already costs either way. If he wants to play for vet minimum? Sure, welcome back. Do you expect that to happen?

That's dumb.

There's no "chase your dreams" cap exemption.
To chase his dream he would have to find another team
I’m saying if he just wants to play another year here and be depth the 7 mil would be worth it to me
If he wants more than next year or wants a shot at starting then I’d let him go and he can chase that dream with another team

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To chase his dream he would have to find another team
I’m saying if he just wants to play another year here and be depth the 7 mil would be worth it to me
If he wants more than next year or wants a shot at starting then I’d let him go and he can chase that dream with another team

The team just can't afford to pay $7 million for a backup player. And that's what he'd be here.

$7 million gets you close to signing an Earl Thomas. A proven, HOF differencemaker, starter.

Not bench depth.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
How is his deal "team friendly"?
7m for a top LB was a steal and the amount of guaranteed money was used up years ago

Also he 2m escalators for over 80% of snaps because he knew he had an always injured label

He only hit the incentive once in 6 years but they gave it to him a second time when he sat out the last game and missed by a handful of snaps

His deal was the definition of team friendly

ps- but now it is time to move on..... 7m is way too much and in all honesty he is too good for a backup ....they need to be ST aces and Lee is not.... he would be a wasted roster spot for 10 snaps a game

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The team just can't afford to pay $7 million for a backup player. And that's what he'd be here.

$7 million gets you close to signing an Earl Thomas. A proven, HOF differencemaker, starter.

Not bench depth.
Or it gets you 500 snaps at DE and DT with good production and steady pressure in TCrawford

I keep TCrawford over SLee by a wide margin

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Keep him if he's healthy. That makes the most sense. He's high quality depth at the very least. When 100% he's elite. Now we have a great unit, better than in decades. Keep it going.

nobody

Reaction score
Keep him if he's healthy. That makes the most sense. He's high quality depth at the very least. When 100% he's elite. Now we have a great unit, better than in decades. Keep it going.

So he's worth keeping for that amount of money for the 3 games he'll be 100%?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
For REAL??? THIS and **** like this is why this team goes no where year in and year out. S Lee is loved, Witten was Loved, Romo was loved, but for pete's sakes, JUST GO ALREADY. He can't stay on the field, he can't make plays any more, IE: Rams game he looked like a turd sliding down a pipe. Just retire and give us a chance to free up that money. OR restructure his butt and pay him mim with incentives. Other that that... hell no. Witten, is a prime example, he was not even close to being worth what he was being paid his last 2 or 3 years. Lee is even worst, at least Witten didn't stay hurt all damn season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or it gets you 500 snaps at DE and DT with good production and steady pressure in TCrawford

I keep TCrawford over SLee by a wide margin

I'd keep neither.

I think we've talked before but I'd take Sheldon Richardson at similar money and have my defensive tackle better stabilized with a true starter there and give him Crawford's money. Then give Lee's to the Earl Thomas fund.

I feel that fixes the team two biggest defensive weaknesses to a great degree.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not bench depth.

That's not exactly true because Lee would be $7 million for 1 year, and Thomas might be something like $45-50 million for 4 years. There is no long term commitment with Lee

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So he's worth keeping for that amount of money for the 3 games he'll be 100%?
That's not what I said. At all. I never mentioned salary either. I would find a way to keep him. His leadership alone is worth it. Fans are too quick to throw guys out. For once the LBers are a bright spot.
Also, we need more than one back LB in rotation. And he would probably take a pay cut.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'd keep neither.

I think we've talked before but I'd take Sheldon Richardson at similar money and have my defensive tackle better stabilized with a true starter there and give him Crawford's money. Then give Lee's to the Earl Thomas fund.

I feel that fixes the team two biggest defensive weaknesses to a great degree.
If I am moving on from TCrawford I want a bigger upgrade than Richardson.... I want a true War Daddy

TCrawford is very underrated and gets constant pressure and plays with a high motor

I do want to draft a DT for once............ TCrawford- MCollins- AWoods- Ross- Draft2 is a good start

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So he wants to collect millions just to spend more time with the trainers and medical staff? That's a sweet deal. Dude needs to stop playing and transition to coaching. It's time.
Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?