News: PFT: Sean Lee leaning toward playing again

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's not exactly true because Lee would be $7 million for 1 year, and Thomas might be something like $45-50 million for 4 years. There is no long term commitment with Lee
No way EThomas gets that

He is closer to 3/27m...... age and injuries limit his market.... throw in some incentives and tell him to put his money where his mouth is and come home

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not exactly true because Lee would be $7 million for 1 year, and Thomas might be something like $45-50 million for 4 years. There is no long term commitment with Lee

If those are the numbers for Thomas? Yeah, I'll pass too. But I have no expectations that they would be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I am moving on from TCrawford I want a bigger upgrade than Richardson.... I want a true War Daddy

I'd like one of those too, but you simply can't get em for $8 million a year. But I'll settle for a guy with a true starting role in Richardson. A rookie of the year and Pro Bowl talent (at one time anyway).

TCrawford is very underrated and gets constant pressure and plays with a high motor

That's not true. When faced with a true starting offensive tackle, he does very little. Not only was he ineffective against the Rams, he was embarrassing. I'll never question his motor, but his ability to make plays, I will. He gives his all, but I don't think his all is good enough.

I do want to draft a DT for once............ TCrawford- MCollins- AWoods- Ross- Draft2 is a good start

Right with ya there!
:thumbup:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If those are the numbers for Thomas? Yeah, I'll pass too. But I have no expectations that they would be.

At least that range, or higher, would have been his expectation before the injury. He may have to come off that at least to some degree because of the injury, but he will still be looking for a substantial multi-year contract with a significant portion guaranteed. The signing bonus alone will almost certainly be more than $7 million.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way EThomas gets that

He is closer to 3/27m...... age and injuries limit his market.... throw in some incentives and tell him to put his money where his mouth is and come home

That's my ballpark, I was thinking 3/30m personally. Which would essentially boil down to a two year $20 million deal with a team option.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least that range, or higher, would have been his expectation before the injury. He may have to come off that at least to some degree because of the injury, but he will still be looking for a substantial multi-year contract with a significant portion guaranteed. The signing bonus alone will almost certainly be more than $7 million.

And signing bonuses are spread out over the length of the contract.

3 years, $30 million which would essentially be a two year deal with a team option for that third year.

Safety contracts are falling, not rising. And the Chiefs are undoubtedly regretting paying Eric Berry his deal and will get out of that as soon as they can.

nobody

Reaction score
So the projected Salary cap for next year will be 187-191 million. Let's say it's 191. That averages out to 11.93755 million per game. With 53 men on the roster, that averages out to $225,238 per player, per game.
Sean Lee's cap hit for next season is $10 million, which is $625k per game. Given that he can't stay healthy (he played 7 games in 2018 in the regular season and 1 playoff game), it's just not smart management to keep him, especially in a backup role. His coaching up of the younger DB's is amazing and helped them tremendously, but as a coach. Then there's the roster spot to consider. If he's hurt half the season, it's not just a cap hit but a waste of a roster spot.

If he wants to play for more than vet min, then he needs to look elsewhere. The Cowboys should offer to restructure for vet minimum or offer a LB coach position or cut ties and let him find a new home. I loved his fire, but it's time to move on.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Who cares, cut him with a LB coaching offer. At least MAYBE he won't pull his hammy standing on the side lines. Lee is washed up, he did us no favors holding a roster spot for a guy who his whole career starting in 08 to date has been hurt every season. He's a great guy, a smart player, but what's a busted up, broken down, runs today not tomorrow Mercedes worth? Granted ET MAY cost more to sign, that is not a given, knowing his list of injuries, and that he has broken the same leg twice mow, I don't see many teams putting him on a huge contract to start either. And Dallas would be foolish to attempt to do so. Our cap space had better be treated very tenderly or we wind up being who we were before Stephen took over daddies check book.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And signing bonuses are spread out over the length of the contract.

3 years, $30 million which would essentially be a two year deal with a team option for that third year.

Safety contracts are falling, not rising. And the Chiefs are undoubtedly regretting paying Eric Berry his deal and will get out of that as soon as they can.

Even spread over the length of the contract, it's still more than $7 million and it's still only the signing bonus and therefore only the smaller part of the money you would have to commit to Earl Thomas.

Even if Thomas would go for the 3 years for $30 million, and I'm not saying he wouldn't, that doesn't change my point. 1 year, $7 million still isn't almost enough to pay for Earl Thomas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even spread over the length of the contract, it's still more than $7 million and it's still only the signing bonus and therefore only the smaller part of the money you would have to commit to Earl Thomas.

Even if Thomas would go for the 3 years for $30 million, and I'm not saying he wouldn't, that doesn't change my point. 1 year, $7 million still isn't almost enough to pay for Earl Thomas.

It's off by $3 million! You think that can't be easily accounted for?

I'll show you.

Bye Terrance Williams! There's $2.5 more. And I'll make up the other $500,000 from the $48,525,000 I have in cap space for 2019.

Done and done!
:hammer:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares, cut him with a LB coaching offer. At least MAYBE he won't pull his hammy standing on the side lines. Lee is washed up, he did us no favors holding a roster spot for a guy who his whole career starting in 08 to date has been hurt every season. He's a great guy, a smart player, but what's a busted up, broken down, runs today not tomorrow Mercedes worth? Granted ET MAY cost more to sign, that is not a given, knowing his list of injuries, and that he has broken the same leg twice mow, I don't see many teams putting him on a huge contract to start either. And Dallas would be foolish to attempt to do so. Our cap space had better be treated very tenderly or we wind up being who we were before Stephen took over daddies check book.

Maybe your way would be best, assuming Lee would go for it. I'm not saying paying Lee for another year is necessarily the best option, although I wouldn't be adamantly opposed if it doesn't put us in a bind for cap money and if it is only as a role player and backup. I was merely commenting on the idea that for the same money we could almost pay for someone like Earl Thomas, which is not the case.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's off by $3 million! You think that can't be easily accounted for?

I'll show you.

Bye Terrance Williams! There's $2.5 more. And I'll make up the other $500,000 from the $48,525,000 I have in cap space for 2019.

Done and done!
:hammer:

How is the difference between $7 million and $30 million only off by $3 million? That really doesn't make sense. You can't treat getting rid of a 1 year contract as being all it takes to pay for a 3 year contract.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Maybe your way would be best, assuming Lee would go for it. I'm not saying paying Lee for another year is necessarily the best option, although I wouldn't be adamantly opposed if it doesn't put us in a bind for cap money and if it is only as a role player and backup. I was merely commenting on the idea that for the same money we could almost pay for someone like Earl Thomas, which is not the case.
Yea, I went back and re-read your post, and you may be right on ET, then again maybe not. He to is aged, and didn't play but what 3 or 4 games this season and broke his leg again. Teams aren't going to go pay out for just his knowledge, and I do not believe he can be a all down S coming back. A lot working against him now. But hey, weirder stuff happens in the league all the time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, I went back and re-read your post, and you may be right on ET, then again maybe not. He to is aged, and didn't play but what 3 or 4 games this season and broke his leg again. Teams aren't going to go pay out for just his knowledge, and I do not believe he can be a all down S coming back. A lot working against him now. But hey, weirder stuff happens in the league all the time.

I think it's certain he will be looking for a significant multi year contract, but because of the injury the pay range and maybe the number of years may have to be scaled back from what he would have expected before the injury. I think he has a pretty high opinion of himself though, so it may be tough for a team to get him to back off too much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is the difference between $7 million and $30 million only off by $3 million? That really doesn't make sense.

So then what exactly are you looking for? I can't compare the cost of a one year contract vs the average of a three year contract?

You can't treat getting rid of a 1 year contract as being all it takes to pay for a 3 year contract.

Sure I can. It's called accounting. It's how the salary cap works. Take a look at this team's salary cap. They're paying three guys right now, all offensive linemen. Smith, Martin, and Fredrick. They can free up the $10 million for Earl Thomas today by cutting just two guys - Sean Lee and Terrance Williams, both non-starters.

And even more if they wanted to move on from someone like Crawford, and $5 million more with Allen Hurns.

This would be incredibly easy to accomplish.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So then what exactly are you looking for? I can't compare the cost of a one year contract vs the average of a three year contract?

Yet you did when you said not paying the $7 million to Sean Lee this year would almost pay for a guy like Earl Thomas. My point was exactly that - that you can't make that statement because paying Sean Lee is just a one year commitment and paying Earl Thomas is not, and eliminating one year of Sean Lee at $7 million does not almost pay for Earl Thomas, whether his contract is 3 years for $30 million or something more.

Sure I can. It's called accounting. It's how the salary cap works. Take a look at this team's salary cap. They're paying three guys right now, all offensive linemen. Smith, Martin, and Fredrick. They can free up the $10 million for Earl Thomas today by cutting just two guys - Sean Lee and Terrance Williams, both non-starters.

And even more if they wanted to move on from someone like Crawford, and $5 million more with Allen Hurns.

This would be incredibly easy to accomplish.

You are changing gears here. What you said was Sean Lee's salary would almost pay for Earl Thomas, and now you are talking about Sean Lee's salary and Terrence Smith's salary and possibly other players, and even then, that would only pay for 1 year of Earl Thomas, and therefore it would not pay for Thomas because he will not agree to just a one year deal. And even then, at least some money would have to go into replacing the players you cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet you did when you said not paying the $7 million to Sean Lee this year would almost pay for a guy like Earl Thomas. My point was exactly that - that you can't make that statement because paying Sean Lee is just a one year commitment and paying Earl Thomas is not, and eliminating one year of Sean Lee at $7 million does not almost pay for Earl Thomas, whether his contract is 3 years for $30 million or something more.

OK, I guess you didn't know that the salary cap is a revolving thing and not limited to just each year. Now you do.

You are changing gears here. What you said was Sean Lee's salary would almost pay for Earl Thomas, and now you are talking about Sean Lee's salary and Terrence Smith's salary and possibly other players, and even then, that would only pay for 1 year of Earl Thomas, and therefore it would not pay for Thomas because he will not agree to just a one year deal. And even then, at least some money would have to go into replacing the players you cut.

You need to go and do the math for yourself. Clearly.