News: PFT: Should the Cowboys have let Dak Prescott hit the open market?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has regressed every year since his rookie year. I don’t see a top talent. I like Dak as a player. I just don’t think he has what is needed to get a ring unless he is surrounded with talent which any average QB could do.

I also like change. Especially after 4 years of mediocrity.
how has he regressed every year?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
well the 10th rated qb should get closer to 1oth rated money because 10th rated qb but in my estimation maybe 30th bets player..ef the market talk daks way overpaid..
make sure you send a memo to all NFL teams and the league so that they follow your standards.....because the NFL market doesn't work that way right now.....

Dak was paid as a top 10 QB (many had him ranked at 6th best).... and improving...... so the market is what the market is.... I have complaints about Bitcoin market, stock market, grocery prices, etc..... who can I write to make the market correction....

you sound extremley bitter

Jeffkills

Reaction score
The contract can be dumped in 3 years...

Kellen's about to take this ship's helm - write it down...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My mistake you meant the first tag. I mean anything is possible. I'm just giving my opinion of what is likely to happen. I don't think Dak was signing below his number for the Cowboys or any other team. Imo Dak always felt like two (or three) tags and then hitting free agency was a win so it would take a good deal for him to forego that. So he either gets a deal he likes or plays on the tag.

Well, he might not have but it would have set the market for his money, even so. If no other team would have offered him the money he wanted, then there is no deal out there for him to sign but then the only option is to accept the lessor money or to sit. If you sit, then you make no progress towards FA so that's really not an option.

blueblood70

Reaction score
make sure you send a memo to all NFL teams and the league so that they follow your standards.....because the NFL market doesn't work that way right now.....

Dak was paid as a top 10 QB (many had him ranked at 6th best).... and improving...... so the market is what the market is.... I have complaints about Bitcoin market, stock market, grocery prices, etc..... who can I write to make the market correction....

you sound extremley bitter

this was about actually testing that market they did not they could have used the NETAG thats the dang tone of the site..jerry paid without actually seeing daks actual market because there are 30 qbs hes being paid higher then now 30

thats thirty !

so allowing teams to make offers would have truly put dak in HIs market..

you do realize all 32 starting qbs dont get market you are referring too? many are under 30 some under 20 and a few under 10

get it ?, where dak at 10 rates won't be truly known because jerry didnt test the market. I think he should have done this last season not this one but once he didnt last off season i for sure would have tagged him NE TAG and lets end the charade that Dak fans want to say he deserved to set the new market..

this is the debate not the stupid market argument, we will never know Daks market because jerry paid him without testing it..

MO Daks 35mil qb at BEST..dont care about the market...we are passed that now..dak leveraged himself, jerry folded and we for sure dont know his market because no one made offers..

Bitter ,no i didn't start the thread UGH!..

we were having an adult debate you seem stuck on the stupid term, market..Jerry didnt allow dak to test the market. Got it? we are saying what if ..../

i also have other responses that say this was a pointless thread to start with and also said it only tkes one team, can you read?? I said IMHO it only takes one team and daks market was thr DC BUT have suspicion only ONE team makes the offer with 2 firstsd and would pay dak, CHI..they were desperate all off season for starter to appease fans , i believe that was Dak s only option but most likely that would have forced jerrys hand and would be here anyway..Chicago would have made the offer and Jerry would have paid dak to keep him from leaving..

so all this is moot, go read my other 4 responses, maybe you get i was debating both sides..smh :facepalm::rolleyes::oldcouple:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What payoff is that? Who is going to play QB? Dalton?

What if those two first rounders are late in the first round? All your going to do is start spending those picks on finding a new QB. Maybe a bunch of them to trade up.

There is NO gamble with Dak. None at all. Top 7 QB in his prime.

Most likely it would be the Commanders and they would be instant SB favorites for the next 5-8 years.

This.. the only people would have liked to see Dak got the DC are non-Cowboys fans. Despite all the *******ery about Dak's ranking relative to other "elite" QBs no Cowboys fan would want to have him in the division, on a team with a much better defense, facing our defense twice a year. It would be our worst nightmare. Oh and the two first rounders we got back would be in the high 20's or low 30's every year.. Enjoy..

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is easy to prove & everyone knows it.

All you have to do is look at franchise Qbs contracts in time. What direction is the money going in? Up or down?

Except below. Weird that they are not declining.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers enjoyed an extended stretch as the highest-paid player in the NFL, with a new-money average of $22 million per year, until Colts quarterback Andrew Luck finally leapfrogged Rodgers in 2016, with $24.6 million per year. An NFL player finally reached the $25 million mark on June 22, 2017, when Raiders quarterback Derek Carr signed a deal with five new years and $125 million in new money.

In less than 22 months since then, the high-water mark has increased by another $10 million per year.

From Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford ($27 million per year) to 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5 million) to Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins ($28 million) to Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan ($30 million) to Rodgers ($33.5 million) to Wilson ($35 million), the market has gone higher and higher.

Just b/c other teams made mistakes paying the wrong QB didn't mean we had to follow in their footsteps. Dak had 4 seasons + 4 games with a loaded offense. His record the past 3 years against teams over .500 is 5-13. He didn't earn the contract he got and its doubtful he ever will based on previous results.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Well, he might not have but it would have set the market for his money, even so. If no other team would have offered him the money he wanted, then there is no deal out there for him to sign but then the only option is to accept the lessor money or to sit. If you sit, then you make no progress towards FA so that's really not an option.

No he has the option of playing on the tag.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Just b/c other teams made mistakes paying the wrong QB didn't mean we had to follow in their footsteps. Dak had 4 seasons + 4 games with a loaded offense. His record the past 3 years against teams over .500 is 5-13. He didn't earn the contract he got and its doubtful he ever will based on previous results.
Why do you keep harping on this as if a) it matters b) it's unique to him? It doesn't and it's not.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
how has he regressed every year?

Biggest regression is evident in the team record under him. The more the team asks him to do in the passing game, the worse the team does. He is good when the running game is good and average at all other times.

One year the amount of sacks spiked to over 50, I think, because he was holding the ball too long. The INTs were very low his rookie year and have increased.

I would not point to a specific stat, just an overall impression of 3 and outs, 3rd down conversion, teams are onto his tendencies, his audibles don’t seem to be anything more than average, slow starts, lack of concentration for periods in a game, and trying to be a pocket passer and not a mobile QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
this was about actually testing that market they did not they could have used the NETAG thats the dang tone of the site..jerry paid without actually seeing daks actual market because there are 30 qbs hes being paid higher then now 30

thats thirty !

so allowing teams to make offers would have truly put dak in HIs market..

you do realize all 32 starting qbs dont get market you are referring too? many are under 30 some under 20 and a few under 10

get it ?, where dak at 10 rates won't be truly known because jerry didnt test the market. I think he should have done this last season not this one but once he didnt last off season i for sure would have tagged him NE TAG and lets end the charade that Dak fans want to say he deserved to set the new market..

this is the debate not the stupid market argument, we will never know Daks market because jerry paid him without testing it..

MO Daks 35mil qb at BEST..dont care about the market...we are passed that now..dak leveraged himself, jerry folded and we for sure dont know his market because no one made offers..

Bitter ,no i didn't start the thread UGH!..

we were having an adult debate you seem stuck on the stupid term, market..Jerry didnt allow dak to test the market. Got it? we are saying what if ..../

i also have other responses that say this was a pointless thread to start with and also said it only tkes one team, can you read?? I said IMHO it only takes one team and daks market was thr DC BUT have suspicion only ONE team makes the offer with 2 firstsd and would pay dak, CHI..they were desperate all off season for starter to appease fans , i believe that was Dak s only option but most likely that would have forced jerrys hand and would be here anyway..Chicago would have made the offer and Jerry would have paid dak to keep him from leaving..

so all this is moot, go read my other 4 responses, maybe you get i was debating both sides..smh :facepalm::rolleyes::oldcouple:

allowing Dak to hit the market could have drive the price even higher and taking a chance at losing him. you assume, incorrectly that the price would have been lower.

and all teams have a starting QB. Dalton...I mean Dalton for gawd's sake got 10M contract. he is not worth minimum wage, yet he got 10M..... and I find it funny that Chicago is signed him, yet still courting Wilson, per some reports willing to give up 3 first round picks and couple of starters to get him.

and I think its utterly stupid to say Dak is worth 35, I would have signed him. but at 40 I don't like it.... it makes ZERO sense. if he is not the QB, then why pay 30? 35? or even 25!!!! that's utterly stupid...he is either your QB or he is not. slightly over paying doesn't matter in big scheme of things and 2 years from now, his contract won't look anything significant to where the market is going..

and you wrong assumption that even if he is the 10th best QB (which he is higher obviously), that the NFL slots him to pay him 10th highest salary....the draft and draft pick contracts work that way. the FA market doesn't. I don't think you know the difference.

and outside of Chicago, there were several other teams that would have been highly interested. Rams obviously giving up 2 firsts for Stafford a 33 year old QB with back problems. you think they wouldn't go for Dak and keep their first rounders and get a pick for Goff!!!, or WFT, or Patriots who are pursuing Grappolo, or even the eagles who traded Wentz and still interested in Watson trade or Giants, who would part with Jones in a heart beat, or Saints, or Indy (prior to trading for wentz), or niners, assuming they would trade grappolo to New England and only waiting to see what their options are, and perhaps Miami, who there are reports aren't happy with Tua and linked to trades for Watson, Broncos would be all over this, given Elway is turning every stone to get a QB.

you obviously don't understand the NFL QB market and the value of a top 10 QB.....

you are letting your emotions and bitterness drive your response.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No he has the option of playing on the tag.

Sure, but it doesn't change the market value. I mean, if nobody is out there who is willing to offer the money desired, doesn't matter if you play on the tag or not, at some point, you are going to hit FA. So if the deal is not out there to be had, then that money is not coming your way. You can play on the tag until you can't but it doesn't change the available money.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Why do you keep harping on this as if a) it matters b) it's unique to him? It doesn't and it's not.

Even though it is not unique to him, it matters. Why can’t Dak elevate his game when playing with the good teams and when games really matter? Kirk Cousins plays average to horrible during prime time.

In the playoffs, one will be playing teams with winning records.

I never get a sense that Dak can carry a team to victory. Teams seem to have figured out Dak’s tendencies and can minimize him early.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Even though it is not unique to him, it matters. Why can’t Dak elevate his game when playing with the good teams and when games really matter? Kirk Cousins plays average to horrible during prime time.

In the playoffs, one will be playing teams with winning records.

I never get a sense that Dak can carry a team to victory. Teams seem to have figured out Dak’s tendencies and can minimize him early.
Past W/L do not matter, and they definitely don't matter if they're not unique.

No QB carries a team to victory. Just stop with that garbage.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This.. the only people would have liked to see Dak got the DC are non-Cowboys fans. Despite all the *******ery about Dak's ranking relative to other "elite" QBs no Cowboys fan would want to have him in the division, on a team with a much better defense, facing our defense twice a year. It would be our worst nightmare. Oh and the two first rounders we got back would be in the high 20's or low 30's every year.. Enjoy..

This isn't true. I would not be afraid of Dak in our division. I know that any team that wanted him would have to pay him upwards of 40 mil AAV. Nobody should be afraid of that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

To you they don't. Besides, who are you to tell anybody anything Future, as your opinion means no more or less then anybody else's.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Biggest regression is evident in the team record under him. The more the team asks him to do in the passing game, the worse the team does. He is good when the running game is good and average at all other times.

One year the amount of sacks spiked to over 50, I think, because he was holding the ball too long. The INTs were very low his rookie year and have increased.

I would not point to a specific stat, just an overall impression of 3 and outs, 3rd down conversion, teams are onto his tendencies, his audibles don’t seem to be anything more than average, slow starts, lack of concentration for periods in a game, and trying to be a pocket passer and not a mobile QB.
so the record, wins and losses are all on the QB. no other part of team, defense, special teams and coaches bear any responsibility to team wins and losses.

and you have taken specific stats, in a period to make a case...... and I agree on the sacks....I argued the very point two years ago and I put that on his bad foot work (wwhhhaaattt!). yes, his bad foot work, made him not to trust his throws and his own ball placement and he held the ball too long at times. once he improved his foot work, he trusted his throws and his own accuracy and it improved....and in fact, I had argued two years ago, not to give him a contract then until we see his improvements which we did. Then I argued, I rather wait and see the improvements and pay a little more than sign him and regret it back then.

and what is the rate of 3 and outs? how does it compare to rest of NFL...you have an impression!!! everyone has an impression.....and obviously you seem very biased so your "impression" is quite skewed.......

and I posted before, this year...our scoring rate per quarter is average to above average and top 5 in the 4th quarter over the past 3 years....so again. your impression. the slow starts, is due to horrid bad stops by the defense and lack there of. your expectations are that the offense scores every possession and that they score often to keep up with the historically bad defense.

you have provided no evidence to suggest he has regressed. in fact most stats, point to imprvements in his game. I don't say that. I don't think that. 50 front office personnel and GMs said he is a top 10 QB. almost all analysts, former football players all say he is a top 10.

but we should it ignore the facts. ignore the experts. and take your biased "impression".

geez....really!!!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Then why pay a QB $40M/year if no QB carries a team to victory? Russell Wilson doesn’t carry the Seahawks to victory? Rodgers? Brady?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Then why pay a QB $40M/year if no QB carries a team to victory? Russell Wilson doesn’t carry the Seahawks to victory? Rodgers? Brady?
No, they don't. The idea of a quarterback who wins games when the players/systems around them fail is a myth. Never happens. Never been a better example of that than Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Sure, but it doesn't change the market value. I mean, if nobody is out there who is willing to offer the money desired, doesn't matter if you play on the tag or not, at some point, you are going to hit FA. So if the deal is not out there to be had, then that money is not coming your way. You can play on the tag until you can't but it doesn't change the available money.

It's reasonable for Dak in that scenario to believe he could get a better deal if a team didn't have to give up two 1sts along with paying a big salary. Plus there is the notion of qb salaries exploding due to the new tv money (which is why Dak wanted a short deal in the first place). Dak playing on three tags would have been a win for him.