News: PFT: Tony Romo throws in pregame warmups

aria

Reaction score
I am happy with Dak's play but people just lose me with this stuff. Dak's performance from today doesn't even crack Romo's top 75 games. We have zero TD passes and something like 1 deep pass (pass that travels 16 yards in the air or more) through 2 games. Our run game is mucked up because of all the shotgun since our QB can't play under center. Our offense has become this weird offshoot of play action plays and roll outs because we are desperate to get the QB safe throws. And it worked... I can't even think of a single throw today that had to thread the needle or was lofted over a defender's outstretched hands. I'm pretty sure that Romo could come in the game right now with zero practice and throw slants to a wide open Beasley or Bryant.
I know that because we are 3-13 over the last year that when we just have a QB complete a few passes in a row it seems to be some amazing thing. To have a QB controversy, the backup QB has to play BETTER than the QB he has replaced. Dak hasn't even played an average Romo game yet. We have zero TD passes and zero big plays in two games... let that sink in.
I hear ya man and I'm getting tired so I'll keep it short and not to the point, lol. You brought up some very legitmate points. There's multiple reasons I haven't stated yet as to why I think we should stick with Dak. As much as people hate to hear this, I don't think this year is our year yet, with or without Romo but that's for another time.

First and foremost, I'm legitimately concerned for Tony's health. No, I'm not a doctor but I've seen plenty of traumatic injuries in my life and understand the risk Tony is taking everytime he steps on the field. To be blunt, he's a an idiot, not a "warrior", for putting his and his families future on the line for what? A ring that most likely won't happen this year and not guaranteed at all? Even if it was, is it worth the risk? I also don't trust Cowboy's management, JJ or the team doctors when they say he is ready to play. Look at last year for further evidence. I'm also convinced he'll say he's ready to go whether he truly believes that or not and the only people that can prevent that won't all for a very very long shot at a SB and bragging rights. It's actually quite disgusting. Enough is enough.

Unless all of the sudden Dak takes several steps back, keep him in and let Tony help from the sidelines where he physically belongs. Let Dak develop so he'll be that much better next year. Sure, he'll make mistakes but they will be valuable mistakes that I think will payoff with play off wins next year or the year after.

Typed way too much...tired and going to bed. Peace.

PS Plus the NFC East probably sucks this year and I like our chances of playoffs with Dak nut then our defense will let us down one last time.

Coy

Reaction score
Dak has been awsome, specially since he is a 4th round rookie, no doubt about it, from the looks of it, he may very well be the future of this franchise.
Saying that, when Romo is healthy after the bye in week 8, this team will probably be 3-3 at best, although some won't like it, there will be no discussion on who starts, Romo.

starman22

Reaction score
Right. The team has 100% neglected the QB position and he has never had competition. Then we luck out with Dak and now there is a whole bunch of competition. Dak replaced the starter on his high school team and on his college team when those players were injured. They never got their jobs back, same will happen with Romo.

Your disdain for Romo and any of his accomplishments is well documented, my guess is the same will happen with Dak when THE TEAM doesn't win a Super Bowl in his first couple years. Good thing he isn't the holder for field goals.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Dak has been awsome, specially since he is a 4th round rookie, no doubt about it, from the looks of it, he may very well be the future of this franchise.
Saying that, when Romo is healthy after the bye in week 8, this team will probably be 3-3 at best, although some won't like it, there will be no discussion on who starts, Romo.

If he's already out there throwing, I'm hoping for the wk 6 return, with us hopefully sitting on at least a 3-2. But 3-3 isn't the end of the world

Reactions: Coy

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's just take it week by week. Dak will have to play a hell of a lot better than he already has to keep Romo on the bench. But then he might be capable of doing that. Each week he's going to make progress as he gets the practice reps, familiarity with the starters, and the game experience.

That said, If I hear "I'm Romo's biggest fan, but..." one more time, I'm going to puke.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
For the first time in his career, there seems to be a legit backup. He has to be feeling a little extra pressure to get back.
I hope not. I'd hope he learned from rushing back last season. It didn't end well.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I hear ya man and I'm getting tired so I'll keep it short and not to the point, lol. You brought up some very legitmate points. There's multiple reasons I haven't stated yet as to why I think we should stick with Dak. As much as people hate to hear this, I don't think this year is our year yet, with or without Romo but that's for another time.

First and foremost, I'm legitimately concerned for Tony's health. No, I'm not a doctor but I've seen plenty of traumatic injuries in my life and understand the risk Tony is taking everytime he steps on the field. To be blunt, he's a an idiot, not a "warrior", for putting his and his families future on the line for what? A ring that most likely won't happen this year and not guaranteed at all? Even if it was, is it worth the risk? I also don't trust Cowboy's management, JJ or the team doctors when they say he is ready to play. Look at last year for further evidence. I'm also convinced he'll say he's ready to go whether he truly believes that or not and the only people that can prevent that won't all for a very very long shot at a SB and bragging rights. It's actually quite disgusting. Enough is enough.

Unless all of the sudden Dak takes several steps back, keep him in and let Tony help from the sidelines where he physically belongs. Let Dak develop so he'll be that much better next year. Sure, he'll make mistakes but they will be valuable mistakes that I think will payoff with play off wins next year or the year after.

Typed way too much...tired and going to bed. Peace.

PS Plus the NFC East probably sucks this year and I like our chances of playoffs with Dak nut then our defense will let us down one last time.

It's nice that you're so concerned for Romo's health, but world class orthopedists disagree with your evaluation. I'm going to respectfully disagree with your risk assessment and trust them.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Your disdain for Romo and any of his accomplishments is well documented, my guess is the same will happen with Dak when THE TEAM doesn't win a Super Bowl in his first couple years. Good thing he isn't the holder for field goals.

I like players who show up in important games/playoffs. Romo was a very good regular season QB but never played up to his regular season level in the most important games. That is how he will be remembered. Romo's days are over. We paid the guy a fortune as well and that is part of the reason we have this pathetic defense. We had to make do with less just to keep Romo around and for what? Dak is the real deal. I'm 100% behind this kid.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Let's just take it week by week. Dak will have to play a hell of a lot better than he already has to keep Romo on the bench. But then he might be capable of doing that. Each week he's going to make progress as he gets the practice reps, familiarity with the starters, and the game experience.

That said, If I hear "I'm Romo's biggest fan, but..." one more time, I'm going to puke.

I think Dak looks better right now than Romo would look out there and he gives us the best chance to win. You are hearing fans say "I'm Romo's biggest fan but..." Because they are seeing the light themselves. No more hiking the ball with zero seconds on the clock, no more holding on to the ball too long, no more "but he was rusty", no more unnecessary sacks, no more Wednesday's off to rest, etc.

Now we have a guy with a burning desire to compete and win. This kids passion level is through the roof. Hopefully he can fade the bad coaching and get the rest of the team to play to a higher level too.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I like players who show up in important games/playoffs. Romo was a very good regular season QB but never played up to his regular season level in the most important games. That is how he will be remembered. Romo's days are over. We paid the guy a fortune as well and that is part of the reason we have this pathetic defense. We had to make do with less just to keep Romo around and for what? Dak is the real deal. I'm 100% behind this kid.

Paying for a franchise QB is not the reason our defense sucks. Our defense sucks because we haven't done a good job of drafting on that side of the ball.

As far as Romo in the playoffs:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm

I'm excited about Dak too, but he isn't on Romo's level. That doesn't mean he never will be, but he's not right now.