News: PFT: Tony Romo throws in pregame warmups

aria

Reaction score
You don't think I am? Maybe you missed the part where I mentioned the parapalegic I know from falling on his face or all the traumatic injuries I've seen.

I guess you have no concern for anyone's health as long as it gives the Cowboys a better chance of winning. Just admit it. Sorry bro, that's not me.

aria

Reaction score
It's nice that you're so concerned for Romo's health, but world class orthopedists disagree with your evaluation. I'm going to respectfully disagree with your risk assessment and trust them.
That's fine. Clearly they did a great job last year. I hate to say "told ya so" 2-3 months from now but we'll see.

Funny how many people say "they rushed him back last year, everyone knows that" in reference to Romo AND Dez coming back. But hey, the "world class orthopedists" and JJ said they were good to go. No thanks, I'll trust common sense over someobe getting paid to say yes and clear a player for a bigger pay check.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dak looks better right now than Romo would look out there and he gives us the best chance to win. You are hearing fans say "I'm Romo's biggest fan but..." Because they are seeing the light themselves. No more hiking the ball with zero seconds on the clock, no more holding on to the ball too long, no more "but he was rusty", no more unnecessary sacks, no more Wednesday's off to rest, etc.

Now we have a guy with a burning desire to compete and win. This kids passion level is through the roof. Hopefully he can fade the bad coaching and get the rest of the team to play to a higher level too.

Dak's a fraction of the QB Tony Romo is when Romo's healthy. A big fraction, and getting better every week, but anybody who thinks he's a better player than Tony already doesn't remember how good Tony is. It's not really even close.

And people say they're "Tony's biggest fan, but..." to soften the emotional blow for themselves when what they really mean is "I'm a bigger fan of Dak than I am of Tony." Which in itself is a perfectly fine thing to be. I just wish they'd own it.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Dak's a fraction of the QB Tony Romo is when Romo's healthy. A big fraction, and getting better every week, but anybody who thinks he's a better player than Tony already doesn't remember how good Tony is. It's not really even close.

I disagree. It sounds like you are living in the past. Romo barely played in 2015 and looked horrible when he did play. In 2016 he AGAIN got injured and won't be back until week 7 or 8, but he will surely be "rusty". Dak gives this team the best chance to win and the Romo era is just about completely over with. Romo's mind thinks he can still play at a high level but his body can't keep up. Dak is the better QB right now.

And people say they're "Tony's biggest fan, but..." to soften the emotional blow for themselves when what they really mean is "I'm a bigger fan of Dak than I am of Tony." Which in itself is a perfectly fine thing to be. I just wish they'd own it.

They are having mixed emotions. They love Romo but can see that Dak gives us the best chance to win. So they are torn with their emotions. What you are witnessing here is a "Change of guards" at QB. Just like what happened in 2006. Some people are just seeing it sooner than others are, that is all.

etw926

Reaction score
You don't think I am? Maybe you missed the part where I mentioned the parapalegic I know from falling on his face or all the traumatic injuries I've seen.

I guess you have no concern for anyone's health as long as it gives the Cowboys a better chance of winning. Just admit it. Sorry bro, that's not me.
Have you seen Romo's medical records to be able to determine what is going on with his back? Spare me the BS please. Thanks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. It sounds like you are living in the past. Romo barely played in 2015 and looked horrible when he did play. In 2016 he AGAIN got injured and won't be back until week 7 or 8, but he will surely be "rusty". Dak gives this team the best chance to win and the Romo era is just about completely over with. Romo's mind thinks he can still play at a high level but his body can't keep up. Dak is the better QB right now.

They are having mixed emotions. They love Romo but can see that Dak gives us the best chance to win. So they are torn with their emotions. What you are witnessing here is a "Change of guards" at QB. Just like what happened in 2006. Some people are just seeing it sooner than others are, that is all.

I really don't want to let this thread be a Romo debate. You've always completely missed the boat on Tony, and I know I'm not going to change you're opinion there. Dak's playing great, and it fun to watch.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I really don't want to let this thread be a Romo debate. You've always completely missed the boat on Tony, and I know I'm not going to change you're opinion there. Dak's playing great, and it fun to watch.
Ok, we don't need to debate who is the better QB on this thread any longer but I haven't missed the boat on Romo.. I've always been right about him. Great regular season QB who wilts under pressure and doesn't play up to his regular season stats in win and in/ playoff games. Those are facts and that is exactly how history will judge him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Have you seen Romo's medical records to be able to determine what is going on with his back? Spare me the BS please. Thanks.
I know that wasn't for me, but
Do you think an L1 compressional crack is a long term issue? It's nothing like the lower back stuff from 2-3 years ago. It's something that everyone completely recovers from.
Now the lower back stuff from the past is an issue that he will have to manage the rest of his career. He has to do core exercises regularly for that. He had to do that all of 2014--of course, the results were spectacular.
This L1 thing is not the same.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
IMO, Dak right now isn't nearly the QB Romo is but thats ok. However, the great part of Dak's play is Dallas no longer has to worry about QB of the future. Dak has done more than enough to warrant Dallas to make him the post Romo starter. How that goes is up to Dak and if he can make the necessary progression from rookie to veteran.

Whenever Romo comes back, it will be his last stand. I think coaches, ownership, and players know it. What this all means, Cowboys no longer have to "worry" about Romo getting hurt. Whenever, Romo says he's ready to play, you put in him. If/When he gets hurt again then it's back to Dak and then you move on in the off season. If Romo comes back and continues his high level play, then you're back to being a truly dangerous team that IMO would be the front runners to win the NFC East and Dak can learn from his starting stint on what to work on going into the off season. Its a win/win situation no matter what.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Ok, we don't need to debate who is the better QB on this thread any longer but I haven't missed the boat on Romo.. I've always been right about him. Great regular season QB who wilts under pressure and doesn't play up to his regular season stats in win and in/ playoff games. Those are facts and that is exactly how history will judge him.

I think I've literally seen it all...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think an L1 compressional crack is a long term issue? It's nothing like the lower back stuff from 2-3 years ago. It's something that everyone completely recovers from.
Now the lower back stuff from the past is an issue that he will have to manage the rest of his career. He has to do core exercises regularly for that. He had to do that all of 2014--of course, the results were spectacular.

Sports boards really show you the extent people are willing to generalize issues like these. It's kind of interesting as a social phenomenon. I believe most of us don't like being held hostage by the health of a great player, and so some who were just angry or depressed about the situation in the first place--when presented with a legitimate alternative--look for reasons to make the switch immediately and get to a place where they can feel better emotionally about the position for the next several years.

The reality is that Tony's nearing the end of a great career, but the minor fracture he suffered here is not a long term issue of any consequence. Neither are the collarbones. As you say, the pre-existing back condition is the real concern. But it's cleaner for some to think he's 'brittle' or at risk and to write him off emotionally that way instead of just facing the reality that we're going to be in a transitionary period at QB for the next year or two in Dallas.

Personally, I'm thrilled about it. Both of these guys can really play, and Dak's only going to get better.

etw926

Reaction score
Exactly.

weaver21

Reaction score

Romo played well in the playoffs in 2014, that you can't deny. He didn't do anything wrong in the Lions or Green Bay games and didn't make any critical mistakes. He led us to a game-winning drive against Detroit and nearly did the same against Green Bay. That's a fact.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, Dak right now isn't nearly the QB Romo is but thats ok. However, the great part of Dak's play is Dallas no longer has to worry about QB of the future. Dak has done more than enough to warrant Dallas to make him the post Romo starter. How that goes is up to Dak and if he can make the necessary progression from rookie to veteran.

Whenever Romo comes back, it will be his last stand. I think coaches, ownership, and players know it. What this all means, Cowboys no longer have to "worry" about Romo getting hurt. Whenever, Romo says he's ready to play, you put in him. If/When he gets hurt again then it's back to Dak and then you move on in the off season. If Romo comes back and continues his high level play, then you're back to being a truly dangerous team that IMO would be the front runners to win the NFC East and Dak can learn from his starting stint on what to work on going into the off season. Its a win/win situation no matter what.

This is exactly how I see it. It's Romo's team, Dak's using the time to get better and to help us stay in contention. The next injury Romo gets, though, all bets are off. Especially if it happens relatively quickly.

Ideally, we make the transition next season some time, and Dak has plenty of time to get better behind a great player he can still learn a lot from. And Tony gets his last shot or two at making a playoff run.

aria

Reaction score
Lol, ok, you're right. It's all BS, after all why not trust JJ and the medical staff? They've done a fantastic job so far and clearly they have Tony's best interest in mind, not winning.

He's the most injured qb in the league with multiple injuries on different body parts and some on the same body part. He's in his prime at age 37 and has played a whopping 3 games in the past year in which he threw 4 TD's, 7 INT's and reinjured himself after the medical geniuses cleared him (without JJ's influence I'm sure).

Brilliant idea! Let's get him back in there ASAP because he'll be in better shape than he's ever been in and have little to no risk getting hurt again. After all, he does have the best OL in football blocking for him just like last year when he got hurt. Let's not let our most likely future franchise QB get more snaps and experience with Tony coaching him safely on the sidelines.

Stop living in the past dude and look to the future. Tony's not taking us to the SB this year or next. It's time to move on.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is exactly how I see it. It's Romo's team, Dak's using the time to get better and to help us stay in contention. The next injury Romo gets, though, all bets are off. Especially if it happens relatively quickly.

Ideally, we make the transition next season some time, and Dak has plenty of time to get better behind a great player he can still learn a lot from. And Tony gets his last shot or two at making a playoff run.
It's just like Bob Sturm said today in his write-up.

There's legit reason to be very excited about Dak. We may finally have a guy that can continue to develop and be ready when the time has come for Romo to hang it up. He was very optimistic that he can eventually become that guy.
he also said this...
"Look, Prescott has a long, long ways to go."

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just like Bob Sturm said today in his write-up.

There's legit reason to be very excited about Dak. We may finally have a guy that can continue to develop and be ready when the time has come for Romo to hand it up. He was very optimistic that he can eventually become that guy.
he also said this...
"Look, Prescott has a long, long ways to go."

Dak really has been impressive. He's got some work to do on his mechanics, but really, all the guy needs to get better is more reps. As soon as the game slows down for him a bit more and he has a good feel for how much time he's got to be flexible with his progressions and such, he's going to get even better.

It takes a good 8 games of film on a guy before DCs in this league deconstruct what he likes to do and what he doesn't like to do. Once they figure it out, Dak has to adjust to their adjustments. If he can do that, that's really the final hurdle for me in whether or not a QB is here to stay. And I"m pretty sure just watching how poised he is playing that he's going to be able to make his adjustments when the time comes. He's a steal. It makes me not even care a bit about Elliott's slow start. It just doesn't matter if we've got the QB.