News: PFT: Who’s the best running back in the NFL?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
If ANYBODY put Davis d Johnson over Zeke go look at 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line to win the game in ot. Pleaseeeeee watch that and tell me Zeke isn't ending that game with a W. Child please

plasticman

Reaction score
Leveon Bell has missed 27% of his regular season games. I dont think you can miss 1 out of every 4 games and be the best. Durability is an aspect of the position.

David Johnson seems to be the most complete back right now, after 7 games he already has a thousand yards from scrimmage.

I take Zeke over everyone else because for me, the question is, which back projects to be the most productive over the next five years?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Far and away right now, it's David Johnson. You also can't overlook what Ajayi has done in back to back weeks, incredible stuff.
Far and away? He showed what he was about on the goal line against Seattle. Him vs bobby Wagner 1 on 1 in the hole for the game winner. Key plays like that say a lot. Johnson is talented but some people overrate him.

I'm sure you or others may say, (it's one play), but that was eye opening to me that he couldn't punch it in

dallasdave

Reaction score
Zeke is still number one in rushing yards as of right now and I doubt any RB playing tonight will change that.

Pretty impressive considering he had a week off.

Don't know if that makes him the best RB in the league, it does make him number one in total yards, number one in runs over 20 yards, number one in carries resulting in first downs and tied 3rd for TDs. Again...all with having the week off.
:thumbup::clap::bow:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Far and away? He showed what he was about on the goal line against Seattle. Him vs bobby Wagner 1 on 1 in the hole for the game winner. Key plays like that say a lot. Johnson is talented but some people overrate him.

I'm sure you or others may say, (it's one play), but that was eye opening to me that he couldn't punch it in

You have no idea how it would have went with Zeke. Zeke never bounced to the outside in a one on one with Wagner. Zeke has only yet gone between the tackles and our OFFENSIVE LINE has won it for him. He hasn't done anything impressive at the goal line.

Also, one play is not indicative of the whole. So please, take your crappy arguments elsewhere.

Johnson has also got the Cardinals 56 points this year with a total of over 1,000 yards this season. You don't know what "overrated" is. If you don't know what you're talking about, simply don't post at all or ask questions to help better educate yourself. Thanks.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Surprised how many are picking Bell when his best season was 1361 yards and that was his only 1000 yard season. His career rushing average is 4.4.

I'm surprised that anyone who has watched him play would be surprised by anyone saying he's the best back in the league.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
These are the only 3 i will consider an argument for. If we are just considering ability and ignoring availability then im not sure there is any legitimate argument against Bell.

Shady McCoy belongs on that list, IMO. He's putting up 5.3 YPC with very limited air support. He's always been one of the very best backs out of the backfield as well. I love Zeke, but I'm not ready to put him ahead of McCoy yet.

Plankton

Reaction score
You have no idea how it would have went with Zeke. Zeke never bounced to the outside in a one on one with Wagner. Zeke has only yet gone between the tackles and our OFFENSIVE LINE has won it for him. He hasn't done anything impressive at the goal line.

Also, one play is not indicative of the whole. So please, take your crappy arguments elsewhere.

Johnson has also got the Cardinals 56 points this year with a total of over 1,000 yards this season. You don't know what "overrated" is. If you don't know what you're talking about, simply don't post at all or ask questions to help better educate yourself. Thanks.

Ezekiel Elliott is second in the league in yards gained after contact (54.4% of his yardage comes after contact - 383 yards). While the Cowboy offensive line affords him a great advantage over many other runners, his offensive line hasn't won it for him. He's earned what he has gotten.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott is second in the league in yards gained after contact (54.4% of his yardage comes after contact - 383 yards). While the Cowboy offensive line affords him a great advantage over many other runners, his offensive line hasn't won it for him. He's earned what he has gotten.

That stat can be misleading. "Contact" is relative. There's a difference between contact in the open field and contact at the line, for example. Watch what is happening to Todd Gurley, for example. He's not being given room to get up to full speed, even, which makes it just about impossible to gain yards after contact on most carries.

Zeke is a stud and I think he has a chance to be the best back in the leauge very soon. But his offensive line has played a big part in his production.

Plankton

Reaction score
That stat can be misleading. "Contact" is relative. There's a difference between contact in the open field and contact at the line, for example. Watch what is happening to Todd Gurley, for example. He's not being given room to get up to full speed, even, which makes it just about impossible to gain yards after contact on most carries.

Zeke is a stud and I think he has a chance to be the best back in the leauge very soon. But his offensive line has played a big part in his production.

Who said that the line hasn't? The larger point is that he has made a significant amount of his yardage after he has been hit, and those yards are not a product of the offensive line. Those yards are a product of his ability.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Who said that the line hasn't? The larger point is that he has made a significant amount of his yardage after he has been hit, and those yards are not a product of the offensive line. Those yards are a product of his ability.

My point was that YAC is a product of the line too, in part. YAC is not a stat that isolates for the blocking.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

First, my argument was at the goal line. Which we were comparing to Johnson getting stuffed at the one yard line by Wagner. It's the fact that someone was using a single play to downplay the efforts of one of the best backs in the league. I've been seeing this a lot lately on here, if it's not downplaying QBs to prop up Wilson, people are doing it with RBs now.

Also, there is a vast difference of RBs beating contact at the line and breaking tackles after the line. It generally gets easier for backs with each level, and you said it yourself, the line has given him plenty of opportunities.

What Zeke is doing is not much different than what Murray did in 2014. He had what, nearly a thousand yards total after contact that year?

Plankton

Reaction score
First, my argument was at the goal line. Which we were comparing to Johnson getting stuffed at the one yard line by Wagner. It's the fact that someone was using a single play to downplay the efforts of one of the best backs in the league. I've been seeing this a lot lately on here, if it's not downplaying QBs to prop up Wilson, people are doing it with RBs now.

Also, there is a vast difference of RBs beating contact at the line and breaking tackles after the line. It generally gets easier for backs with each level, and you said it yourself, the line has given him plenty of opportunities.

What Zeke is doing is not much different than what Murray did in 2014. He had what, nearly a thousand yards total after contact that year?

I'm as big a David Johnson backer as there is on this board. He's the back I wanted the Cowboys to draft in 2015. I don't think that there's a bad thing to be said about him other than the fact that he's a Cardinal and not a Cowboy.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score

Putting up numbers means you can't be overrated? :huh: Speaking of not knowing what one is talking about, that's you and your (Johnson is far and away better) hyperbole. But I digress

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Putting up numbers means you can't be overrated? :huh: Speaking of not knowing what one is talking about, that's you and your (Johnson is far and away better) hyperbole. But I digress

No, you using a single situation that Zeke has never actually been in to state "He's overrated!" is ridiculous. Yeah, you're digressing quite a freaking bit from your original trash argument.

56 points, over 1,000 yards for the Cardinals offense. Anything else you'd like to discuss?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And to put and end to this "debate", these are mid-season projections for David Johnson

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-stats-historic-start-yards-touchdowns-102416

With 1,004 yards from scrimmage and eight touchdowns through seven games, Johnson is now on pace for 2,295 total yards and 18 touchdowns.

Only twice in NFL history has a player had at least 2,250 yards from scrimmage and 18 touchdowns: LaDainian Tomlinson in 2006 (2,323 yards and 28 touchdowns) and Priest Holmes in 2002 (2,287 yards and 21 touchdowns).

With your little brain, can you even fathom what Johnson is doing in Arizona right now? This is behind an average to a little above average offensive line, if that. Yes, yes he is far and away better than any RB in the league right now. He's essentially the running back and receiver on that offense and biggest reason for the Arizona turn around since their rocky start.

If he has a couple more big games when it comes to TD totals, he will be on pace to an LT MVP-like year.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Bell has to be the most patient running back I've ever seen.