News: PFT: Who’s the best running back in the NFL?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Right now I might go with:
  1. David Johnson with 1004 yards from scrimmage 681 rushing and 323 receiving
  2. Demarco Murray w 840 yards total
  3. Zeke w 801
  4. Spencer ware
  5. McCoy
  6. Davonta Freeman
But this will change by the 10th game. I love me some Bell, and when healthy he's 1-2

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Right now I'd have to say it's Zeke, Johnson and Bell.

Zeke is the best pure runner of the group. Bell and Johnson are tremendous dual-threat RBs.

McCoy and Murray are right behind them. Ajayi is rapidly following them.

haleyrules

Reaction score
We were talking about it last offseason, and people wanted to cough up last years #1 for him. I, personally, hate the idea of spending high picks on a RB and was willing to consider a #2 for him--what ended up being Jaylon Smith. Just think what the impacts of those trades could have been. Craziness, in retrospect.
Beware of used Running Backs.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
With plenty of young running backs getting it done during the 2016 NFL season, it’s a good time to stick a finger in the wind regarding the best of the league’s current tailbacks. That Monday’s question of the day on PFT Live. Vote for one of the choices in the poll appearing below, make your…http://youwillnotrackme2.net/b.gif?host=profootballtalk.nbcsports.com&blog=&post=2419793&subd=nbcprofootballtalk&ref=&feed=1

Continue reading...
MY Vote just Gave EE a 1 Vote Lead Wahoooooooo :flagwave: here's to the homer in all of us :grin:

haleyrules

Reaction score
It's interesting how so many running backs can be in the discussion for the best rb, but only one receiver can be considered the leagues best - Julio Jones.

Guess he's a freak of nature.
Agreed. He is a killer. Antonio Brown...Green, Fitzgerald and Hopkins are outstanding as well. Bryant not too moldy either!!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott (1st RD/4th overall)
Le'Veon Bell (2nd RD/48th overall)
LeSean McCoy (2nd RD/53rd overall)
DeMarco Murray (3rd RD/71st overall)
David Johnson (3rd RD/86th overall)
Jay Ajayi (5th RD/149th overall)

I get it though. You apparently can't find "special" backs later in the draft.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Far and away right now, it's David Johnson. You also can't overlook what Ajayi has done in back to back weeks, incredible stuff.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott (1st RD/4th overall)
Le'Veon Bell (2nd RD/48th overall)
LeSean McCoy (2nd RD/53rd overall)
DeMarco Murray (3rd RD/71st overall)
David Johnson (3rd RD/86th overall)
Jay Ajayi (5th RD/149th overall)

I get it though. You apparently can't find "special" backs later in the draft.

I agree with this premise, but players of all positions have been draft steals. Just because you COULD find a RB in later rounds doesn't mean you should ignore backs in the earlier rounds if they're the best players on a team's draft board.

Since 2000, there have been some great backs taken later in the draft but there have also been quite a few that have been taken in the 1st round and turned out pretty good.

- Tomlinson
- Zeke??
- Peterson
- Steven Jackson
- Beast Mode
- Doug Martin
- Willis Mcgahee
- Chris Johnson
- DeAngelo Williams
- Johnathan Stewart

You could even throw in guys like Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Larry Johnson, etc. although it could be argued that those guys didn't live up to their expectations.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I agree with this premise, but players of all positions have been draft steals. Just because you COULD find a RB in later rounds doesn't mean you should ignore backs in the earlier rounds if they're the best players on a team's draft board.

Since 2000, there have been some great backs taken later in the draft but there have also been quite a few that have been taken in the 1st round and turned out pretty good.

- Tomlinson
- Zeke??
- Peterson
- Steven Jackson
- Beast Mode
- Doug Martin
- Willis Mcgahee
- Chris Johnson
- DeAngelo Williams
- Johnathan Stewart

You could even throw in guys like Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Larry Johnson, etc. although it could be argued that those guys didn't live up to their expectations.

We're not just talking first round though, but top 5-10. Compare RBs taken around that time, and very few in the past 15 years have gone on to really even come close to living up to their draft spot.

I will say, IF Ajayi turns out to be the real deal, that is a huge miss on our part. We essentially skipped over someone we could have snagged probably in the 4th, in a year we were interested in RBs, just to grab one in the top 5 the next year.

I remember a lot of people here really wanting Ajayi as well.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

- Tomlinson
- Zeke??
- Peterson
- Steven Jackson
- Beast Mode
- Doug Martin
- Willis Mcgahee
- Chris Johnson
- DeAngelo Williams
- Johnathan Stewart

It's not about the round (i.e. 1st RD), but the spot at which you take him which is why I included the overall draft position for each round. I'm happy with Zeke, but I put up the info for those claiming you can only find "special" backs high in the 1st round or that finding quality RBs in later rounds is a rare occurence.

T-RO

Reaction score
That is my opinion. If you dont like it, that isnt my problem. Dont insult me for my opinion as I wouldnt insult you for yours.

Fact of the matter is that they are similar and not too far apart in my estimation. Gurleys size and speed combination is as rare as rare gets.

dogunwo didn't insult you. He disagreed.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
David Johnson
Le'Veon Bell
Zeke Elliott
Todd Gurley
DeMarco Murray

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
We're not just talking first round though, but top 5-10. Compare RBs taken around that time, and very few in the past 15 years have gone on to really even come close to living up to their draft spot.

I will say, IF Ajayi turns out to be the real deal, that is a huge miss on our part. We essentially skipped over someone we could have snagged probably in the 4th, in a year we were interested in RBs, just to grab one in the top 5 the next year.

I remember a lot of people here really wanting Ajayi as well.

Of course, but every team could say that about any player taken later in the draft...I'm sure there are a lot of teams kicking themselves over not taking Dak.

If Ajayi does turn out to be the real deal, then it would obviously be great to have him and Bosa/Ramsey...but I don't think anyone takes a 5th round pick with the mindset that they're going to be a franchise player.

I think the team fell into that mindset that any RB could succeed behind our o-line and settled for McFadden...but I do agree, they should have taken a RB in 2015.