News: PFT: Who’s the best running back in the NFL?

erod

Reaction score
We're not just talking first round though, but top 5-10. Compare RBs taken around that time, and very few in the past 15 years have gone on to really even come close to living up to their draft spot.

I will say, IF Ajayi turns out to be the real deal, that is a huge miss on our part. We essentially skipped over someone we could have snagged probably in the 4th, in a year we were interested in RBs, just to grab one in the top 5 the next year.

I remember a lot of people here really wanting Ajayi as well.
Problem with him is his knee is a time bomb.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Of course, but every team could say that about any player taken later in the draft...I'm sure there are a lot of teams kicking themselves over not taking Dak.

Historically, there's not another position that's been demonstrably proven that you can find quality, productive players, year in, year out, at later points in the draft (and consistently even in rookie free agency) than RB. You can't say that about WR, QB, CB, et cetera, with the same rate of occurrence.

We see the same trends at other positions. For example, despite guys like Tony Romo or Kurt Warner (undrafted free agents), if you want a quality, franchise type QB, you're typically going to have to draft one in the 1st and Top 2-3 picks overall.

Last edited:

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Historically, there's not another position that's been demonstrably proven that you can find quality, productive players, year in, year out, at later points in the draft (and consistently even in rookie free agency) than RB. You can't say that about WR, QB, CB, et cetera, with the same rate of occurrence.

We see the same trends at other positions. For example, despite guys like Tony Romo or Kurt Warner, if you want a quality, franchise type QB, you're typically going to have to draft one in the 1st and Top 2-3 picks overall.

That's all true, except I think that there have been plenty of late-round/undrafted WRs that turn out to be great, too.

I just don't agree with the mindset that "we can get an decent player later, so we should pass up on a potentially great player now"

RomoFor6

Reaction score
In that 1361 yard season, he added 854 in receiving yards. That's what puts him over the top. He's averaging more yards from scrimmage per game this year than Zeke is.

Also, the guy does not fumble: looks like he's fumbled twice in his career and lost one. That matches what Zeke's done this year.

And his rushing average has gone 3.5, 4.7, 4.9, 5.0: he's not a 4.4 guy today, and we're talking about who's the best now.

You can argue either way in good faith, but Bell's my guy when he's on the field.
Not even close, Zeke is the better pure runner and Pitt force the ball to Bell on receiving plays. You don't think Zeke can averages 5 receptions a game if we don't create screen plays for him? I think I've seen us run a proper screen for him once this year

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That's all true, except I think that there have been plenty of late-round/undrafted WRs that turn out to be great, too.

I just don't agree with the mindset that "we can get an decent player later, so we should pass up on a potentially great player now"

Every position in football has its undrafted rookie free agent anomalies. I'm talking about positional value. Here's the current Top 10 receiving leaders (in terms of yardage):

1. Julio Jones (1st round)
2. A.J. Green (1st round)
3. T.Y. Hilton (3rd round)
4. Odell Beckham (1st round)
5. Marvin Jones (5th round)
6. Amari Cooper (1st round)
7. Antonio Brown (6th round)
8. Jarvis Landry (2nd round)
9. Mike Evans (1st round)
10. Kenny Britt (1st round)

Here's a similar list of the current leading RBs (yardage)

1. Zeke Elliott (1st round)
2. David Johnson (3rd round)
3. Demarco Murray (3rd round)
4. Lesean McCoy (2nd round)
5. LaGarrette Blount (undrafted)
6. Jay Ajayi (5th round)
7. Lamar Miller (4th round)
8. Devonte Freeman (4th round)
9. Isaiah Crowell (undrafted)
10. Frank Gore (3rd round)

See a trend?

Last edited:

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Not going to lie....this list sceams homer

There's nothing Gurleys done that Zeke hasn't in college or pros. David Johnson is damn good I'll listen to that argument. AP is done. Bell is clearly the best back. I think it's a fantastic list

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Johnson
Bell
Zeke

Zeke is a rookie. Next season this list will hopefully change.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not even close, Zeke is the better pure runner and Pitt force the ball to Bell on receiving plays. You don't think Zeke can averages 5 receptions a game if we don't create screen plays for him? I think I've seen us run a proper screen for him once this year

Have some of you actually watched Bell play? He makes cuts on a dime like no other RB in this league, Zeke does not have this. You put Bell behind this line, and he's probably at 1,000 yards right now. He's that good. Health and stupidity has been his problem.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him for another RB, to me that's the measuring stick

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Have some of you actually watched Bell play? He makes cuts on a dime like no other RB in this league, Zeke does not have this. You put Bell behind this line, and he's probably at 1,000 yards right now. He's that good. Health and stupidity has been his problem.

So could Barry Sanders. But I'd take Emmitt anyday because you could count on him to keep the chains moving and keep out offense out there. Sanders could take the ball 80 yards but Emmitt could close a game out with 8 minutes on the clock. I see this in Zeke too.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
When he's 100% healthy, the best running back in the NFL is named Adrian Peterson

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So could Barry Sanders. But I'd take Emmitt anyday because you could count on him to keep the chains moving and keep out offense out there. Sanders could take the ball 80 yards but Emmitt could close a game out with 8 minutes on the clock. I see this in Zeke too.

I'm not going to sit here and debate against the greats, but Sanders averaged 5.0 in his entire career. He was moving the chains, just like Emmitt. Also, Sanders was the entire Lions team.

And Bell is just as tough as he is elusive, it's not as though he completely avoids defenders or doesn't move the piles.

RomoFor6

Reaction score
Have you? He's getting overrated at this point. Really he'd average 170 yards a game here? No chance. To watch him play and compare it to Zeke and come to the conclusion he is a better runner is ridiculous. Better receiver out of the backfield, sure, that's about it.

Frozen700

Reaction score
There's nothing Gurleys done that Zeke hasn't in college or pros. David Johnson is damn good I'll listen to that argument. AP is done. Bell is clearly the best back. I think it's a fantastic list

I'd put David, bell, and McCoy ahead of him

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Have you? He's getting overrated at this point. Really he'd average 170 yards a game here? No chance. To watch him play and compare it to Zeke and come to the conclusion he is a better runner is ridiculous. Better receiver out of the backfield, sure, that's about it.

Again, watch the games. Bell doesn't have the luxury to pick 3 holes to run through on every hand off like Zeke, the fact that he has had 2 games with an average of 5 yards behind Steelers O-line is testament to his skill.

He'd have a 200 yard rushing games for us by now and would not have started with two duds like Zeke had. Zeke may one day be a better runner than Bell, but Zeke is simply not there yet.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
You can argue or put Bell/Johnson ahead of Zeke. I look at this differently. I wouldn't trade Zeke for any other back if offered.