RELEASED Philbin and Lett won't return

Cmac

Reaction score
Philbin had to get pressure. He did do an admirable job with the constant reshuffling. But overall, our OL isn't dominating in any area.....pass blocking nor run blocking. Something had to change. Peete being released was inevitable too. KMoore must have ran up to Jerry, as he is the OC over those position coaches too. WR coach might be next.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
This is where Jerry allows MM to hire assistants to three year deals, then forces them on the next HC when he fires McCarthy this time next year.
But McCarthy is not allowed to release Kellen Moore. He needs to be gone asap. Him and Dak cannot coexist.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Philbin had to get pressure. He did do an admirable job with the constant reshuffling. But overall, our OL isn't dominating in any area.....pass blocking nor run blocking. Something had to change. Peete being released was inevitable too. KMoore must have ran up to Jerry, as he is the OC over those position coaches too. WR coach might be next.
Notice it's the Philbin and the RB coach. This could very well mean a change in the scheme and/or philosophy more than coaching NOT doing their job well enough. Not sure many remember when former DC Rob Ryan was fired, we changed from a 3-4 to Tampa 2 scheme. I said in another thread, it's possible they wanna return this offense to a run-first scheme. ( 2014 and 2016 seasons, 49ers offense we have lost the last two playoff games)

Cmac

Reaction score
Notice it's the Philbin and the RB coach. This could very well mean a change in the scheme and/or philosophy more than coaching NOT doing their job well enough. Not sure many remember when former DC Rob Ryan was fired, we changed from a 3-4 to Tampa 2 scheme. I said in another thread, it's possible they wanna return this offense to a run-first scheme. ( 2014 and 2016 seasons, 49ers offense we have lost the last two playoff games)
We'll see......as I think OC philosophy should adapt to skill sets/strengths of players instead of players adapting fully to OC philosophy if it ain't working or productive as it should be.

CWR

Reaction score

Philbin was great with patchwork lines, but managed to suck when everyone was healthy. It never made sense to me. Peete leaving probably also signals the end of the Zeke era.

CWR

Reaction score

Which is absolutely what we need. Then in the passing game focus on short and intermediate routes, crossing routes, rub routes etc. I'd love to see wrs schemed open, and yac. CD should be excelling there.

Gaede

Reaction score
All these coaches getting let go and having to move their families because the 160M QB refused to stop throwing the ball to the other team. I wonder if Dak feels any guilt?
That's a little overboard. Number one, it's a sport, and all teams lose. None of these professionals would point to one person as cause for them having to leave to a new job, which they all have to do on a regular basis. Number two, they weren't let go. Their contracts expired.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always was against Philbin but I thought he did a good job this season with a revolving OL throughout the season.

Don't know what to say about Lett. He was in charge of coaching garbage.
I thought Philbin did a nice job too. Certainly in developing young players like McGovern, Biadasz, Steele, and Tyler Smith.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The Davis move makes me wonder what is really going on right now behind the scenes. Seems odd that you wouldn't retain the right hand man of the head coach you claim is in no danger of losing his job. McCarthy has expressed how important he felt it was to him as a HC to have Davis on his staff to help set his desired culture in the locker room.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ok philibin needed to go.. The others wow. Sounds like Quinn is gone or part of the deal is he rebuilds his staff..

Cmac

Reaction score
Philbin was great with patchwork lines, but managed to suck when everyone was healthy. It never made sense to me. Peete leaving probably also signals the end of the Zeke era.
My 2 cents:

Philbin......injuries, player development, and lack of depth that could sustain....or worse, disagreement in OC scheme/philosophy.

Peete......or the reshuffling of Zeke & Pollard fitting in KMoore packages may have. Or starting Zeke over Pollard, though carries were going to be based on KMoore packages?....or worse, disagreement in OC scheme/philosophy.

Reactions: CWR

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you Jesus no more Philbin now McCarthy will be next.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Philbin did a good job this year. That’s a loss. The bulk of the defensive staff looks like it’s turning over which will be a nice excuse for Jerry next season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Davis move makes me wonder what is really going on right now behind the scenes. Seems odd that you wouldn't retain the right hand man of the head coach you claim is in no danger of losing his job. McCarthy has expressed how important he felt it was to him as a HC to have Davis on his staff to help set his desired culture in the locker room.
Excellent point.

Maybe it’s me, but I keep going back to the Payton situation.