RELEASED Philbin and Lett won't return

quickccc

Reaction score
The Davis & Philbin moves are the most impactful ones when it comes to Big Mac.

When Jerry ordered him to move on from Nolan, given how brutal the Cowboys' defense was in year 1, Mac had no choice but to swallow hard and accept it.

That was hard for Big Mac.

Losing Philbin, if it was involuntary, will be even harder.

Davis was Big Mac's "eyes and ears" and enforcer in Green Bay and continued in that role in Dallas.

Taking Davis away from Mac, is a Kremlin-like power play.

Few outsiders will understand its significance, but everyone inside the organization -- down to the last player on the practice squad, will know what it means.

It will be fascinating to see, should Quinn move on, whether Whitt, Jr. gets the DC position.

If he does not, Big Mac will be even more at the mercy of the whims of the Cowboys' GM/Owner than he was last week.
What would make wonder (and speculate) given Philibin was probably the top right hand man when it came to the true coaches (seems like Ron Davis was more player consultant than coach)

Was there rumors that Philibin was not on board with organization wanting to go with OT Tyler Smith at draft time

Could that have started (or continue?) some division betwixt the OL coach vs management team ?

quickccc

Reaction score
Philbin was against drafting Tyler Smith, if that tells you anything....
Besides the Tyler Smith indifference, I tend to wonder if there's been some serious upgrade talk with the run game scheme and design, ..as well as the RB.
How much does Philibin have to do with the run blocking scheme and design?

Speaking of RB, ..why was RB coach Skip Peete targeted ?

J_Allen

Reaction score
Serious question:

Why has the offense been so highly ranked during his tenure?

Was it the overwhelming talent at QB and other skill positions covering for him?

Please explain thanks.
Stats don't mean anything if you can't go deep in the playoffs. Why does he continually call for curl routes when they get intercepted? His play calling is absurd. It was fourth and one in Jacksonville and he calls for four wides. He did the same thing in the Red Zone last game. We needed a 2 yd and he calls a pass play.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Besides the Tyler Smith indifference, I tend to wonder if there's been some serious upgrade talk with the run game scheme and design, ..as well as the RB.
How much does Philibin have to do with the run blocking scheme and design?

Speaking of RB, ..why was RB coach Skip Peete targeted ?

That's weird to me, too. I can only guess that they ignored his work with Tony Pollard and are targeting him because they think Zeke should have been more productive, and are unable to see that he's as done as done gets.

Just glad they are keeping the secondary coach and TE coach.

KalEl

KalEl 94
Reaction score
I've been asking here how this could be. Is it the overwhelming talent at QB overcoming his ineptitude? Not one single person has answered me yet.
If you watch the film KM has simplified things as much as possible for Dak to have success.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I do understand why fans are mad at MM but what could he have done when the QB plays like that? The game was there for the taking and he kept us in contention with Cooper Rush as the QB.
Most coaches talk to their QB on the sidelines, communicate with the OC, and intervene when things like the first Dak pick happened.

My question is what exactly does McCarthy do?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I agree. Historically not a huge Philbin guy but thought with all the obstacles this year he did well

I think that had more to do with Jason Peters than anything else. As soon as we signed him, the offensive line turned it around. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Peters as an offensive line coach or assistant offensive line coach, if he's not playing again next year.

pansophy

Reaction score
We're cleaning house and doing things differently next year.

Expect an active offseason.
Sounds like Dan Quinn is definitely leaving this year and we aren't signing guys that our new DC wouldn't want plus it frees these guys up to follow Quinn. Everyone was complaining about Philbin, so that is the one cut I'm glad to see...

MMObserver

Reaction score
Question to be asking yourselves Cowboys' fans is this one; if you were a respected assistant coach with options, why would you sign up to work under head coach Mike McCarthy knowing that the organization just whacked two of his closest confidants and several other assistants -- after a 12-5 season that included a playoff win?

For any objective observer, Big Mac's future status as the head coach of the Cowboys would appear to be a bit tenuous.

In the close knit coaching fraternity that is the NFL, those with options may not be too eager to sign up for a possible one and done season in Big D.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Sounds like Dan Quinn is definitely leaving this year and we aren't signing guys that our new DC wouldn't want plus it frees these guys up to follow Quinn. Everyone was complaining about Philbin, so that is the one cut I'm glad to see...
it will be interesting to see who they hire on the offensive side. McCarthy's old assistants will be available after changes in Carolina. Will jerry want to make multi year commitments to these guys if he is only keeping McCarthy for another year or something.

if you hire payton it would be hard to get his assistants also but there are some who are available via promotion like Dan Roushar who was payton's line coach for awhile in New Orleans. Joe Lombardi could end up being available if the rams make changes too.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I think that had more to do with Jason Peters than anything else. As soon as we signed him, the offensive line turned it around. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Peters as an offensive line coach or assistant offensive line coach, if he's not playing again next year.
Maybe but Tyler smith had a good rookie year at multiple spots…Tyler b had a much improved year at center. He loses tyron early. Hard to say that’s all Jason peters imo

Maverick84

Reaction score
do we need to get Dan Reeves in here as long as he agrees to clock in and out with a timecard?

CWR

Reaction score
I agree. Historically not a huge Philbin guy but thought with all the obstacles this year he did well

That's his trademark here. He does well in difficult circumstances but provides little when everyone is healthy. It's weird.

quickccc

Reaction score
If you watch the film KM has simplified things as much as possible for Dak to have success.
Ditto here .

we don't do near as much moving parts,.. multi-pre-snap shifts and motion and quick huddle as we used to.

but i also think the combo routes have been watered down also, ..probably because Our WRs have been so subpar at running correct routes (ala Gallup)