PI on Lewis

Reaction score
I hate that PI is a spot foul. It's dumb that PI can decide a game. Make it a 15 yard penalty. Bring Defense back to the NFL
If you do that, WR's are going to get tackled 10 times a game. CB's will be coached that when they are beat deep, forget about the ball, just tackle the receiver. Coaches will gladly give up 15 yards instead of a deep throw completion.

That's why they leave the rule as it is.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
The Cowboys got more calls then the Raiders in this game. Let's not be like Steeler fans and complain about penalties all the time. We are better than that......

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is like a traffic accident.......if you rear end someone it is your fault no matter what

Crabtree stopped short and then flopped .....he played it perfect but Lewis still got into his body

Where was Heath the FS on that play????? Lewis was supposed to have help over the top

Swanny

Reaction score
If you do that, WR's are going to get tackled 10 times a game. CB's will be coached that when they are beat deep, forget about the ball, just tackle the receiver. Coaches will gladly give up 15 yards instead of a deep throw completion.

That's why they leave the rule as it is.
I know this if this is true tgen just keep throwing it deep to get the free 15 yards.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They need to adjust the PI rule so that a defensive player is entitled to his current path and momentum. If a WR has to stop and come back for an underthrown ball and the defenders momentum takes him into the WR, it shouldn't be PI. The defender is helpless in that situation. He has to run full speed to cover the WR and if the WR just stops, there's nothing he can do to avoid contact. It should be ruled contact initiated by the WR and therefore no foul.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It was PI. Crabtree made a heads up play to draw the contact. Not sure how Carr kept escaping the pocket all night.

Exactly, the fringe element on this board has really gone off the deep end this season debating even the most obvious of calls.

The lamenting doesn’t even pass the barstool test; if that was a DB going against our receiver and the same contact occurred you’d have six threads talking about how we’re getting jobbed by the refs again.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They need to adjust the PI rule so that a defensive player is entitled to his current path and momentum. If a WR has to stop and come back for an underthrown ball and the defenders momentum takes him into the WR, it shouldn't be PI. The defender is helpless in that situation. He has to run full speed to cover the WR and if the WR just stops, there's nothing he can do to avoid contact. It should be ruled contact initiated by the WR and therefore no foul.
You have to stay in his hip pocket and not just run through him......it is harder than it sounds but you have to remain in control

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think it was a PI call but yes, my buddy pointed out to me that the clock was 00 when Carr snapped the ball! Should've been a flag.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

That wasn’t the case on this play. Crabtree slowed up to make a play on the ball and Lewis ran into him (because he initially wasn’t playing the ball but rather Crabtree’s eyes). You don’t get to interfere with a receiver and THEN look for the ball.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You have to stay in hip pocket and not just run through him......it is harder than it sounds but you have to remain in control

I disagree. If you are in his hip pocket and he stops, you are going to make contact before you even realize it. You cannot avoid contact in that situation. The contact is initiated by the WR due to a poor throw. In that circumstance, I think the DB should be able to truck right through the WR without it being PI if it is determined his momentum at the time the WR slowed down was enough to make contact.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
That wasn’t the case on this play. Crabtree slowed up to make a play on the ball and Lewis ran into him (because he initially wasn’t playing the ball but rather Crabtree’s eyes). You don’t get to interfere with a receiver and THEN look for the ball.

Maybe that play wouldn't apply but I still think contact initiated by the WR by stopping or slowing down to come back for an underthrown ball should not be PI.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
1st off, hate the call.
2nd, was anyone else screaming for a delay of game call against Oakland?

Nah clearly PI and we would be complaining right now had that been a non call if the situation was reversed. I do hate how often penalties or Non-calls influence games though. The refs in particular yesterday were flag happy.

Fontaine

Reaction score
Personally I thought the was a weak call, but hey, I’m a Cowboys fan ‍♂️

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate that PI is a spot foul. It's dumb that PI can decide a game. Make it a 15 yard penalty. Bring Defense back to the NFL

You do that and defenses trash players routinely past the 15 yard line when they're beaten or it's close or there's more than 15 yards to go. It takes the big play away from the end of halves and games.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Maybe that play wouldn't apply but I still think contact initiated by the WR by stopping or slowing down to come back for an underthrown ball should not be PI.

But why?

A receiver has a right to go after the ball without being impeded?

What would be the basis?

Tommy

Reaction score
You do that and defenses trash players routinely past the 15 yard line when they're beaten or it's close or there's more than 15 yards to go. It takes the big play away from the end of halves and games.
It doesnt seem to have hurt college football at all.

I am usually not one for adding more rules to the game to burden the referees with but what about making rule for blatant PI calls. Make it a spot foul. Your routine PI calls are 15yds and automatic 1st.

Usually the refs seem really scared to call PI at the end of games on plays like this because they know how much the calls effect the game.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
But why?

A receiver has a right to go after the ball without being impeded?

What would be the basis?

The basis is that it's impossible to run at full speed trying to cover a WR and be able to stop without making contact if the WR stops. The WR should not have the right to go back through the DB to get to an underthrown ball. I just think the DB should have the right to his current path and momentum. If the ball is underthrown and the WR makes contact with the DB trying to go back for it, it shouldn't be PI.

Swanny

Reaction score
You can keep taking the 15 yard penalty over and over again if it's that bad