PI on Lewis

HungryLion

Reaction score
It was the correct call being PI.

Rookie mistake by Lewis.

That being said, it sucks because the ball had no chance and it was just a prayer thrown up by Carr.

Thank god it didn’t cost the cowboys the game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But why?

A receiver has a right to go after the ball without being impeded?

What would be the basis?
The DB and WR have the same "rights" in attempting to get to the ball.

If the WR on that play had been a DB and Lewis had been the WR, people would want the Oakland player penalized for impeding the path of Lewis.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The basis is that it's impossible to run at full speed trying to cover a WR and be able to stop without making contact if the WR stops. The WR should not have the right to go back through the DB to get to an underthrown ball. I just think the DB should have the right to his current path and momentum. If the ball is underthrown and the WR makes contact with the DB trying to go back for it, it shouldn't be PI.
:hammer:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Appreciate it if someone can post a video of the Brown interference on Crabtree. I taped the game but haven't watched it yet.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with the call. That's going to be called just about everywhere. Personally, I think he was not looking at the ball when he bumped him and then turned around to look at the ball and that's why I think it was a PI. But the offensive PI's that the Raiders got away with during the game were ridiculous.

YR

DCowboyz

Reaction score
It was delay of game. I saw the clock hit zero and then they snapped it. But hey, that's the NFL.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Crabtree was going for the flag not the ball.

Terrible that the game has turned into making penalty’s happen instead of making plays
They've been doing this for years...............Moron Rodgers has built a career off of it.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I think on all jump balls they should allow hand fighting . I can understand calling the penalty if he blatantly dragged the receiver down but it's come to the point where the DB doesn't stand a chance. Or make the penalty 10 yards and not at the spot of the foul. I believe pass interference and holding penalties are killing the game. Anymore I'm expecting a flag of either one on every play.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He had his head turned, and made a play on the ball. The hand fighting was minimal. It should not have been called. Thank goodness it all ended the way it ended.
I thought Lewis got schooled on that.

Hopefully he will handle it better next time.

There is no doubt they had scouted who would be the go to CB on a deep ball.

They got it right..could have and should have cost us the game.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with the call. That's going to be called just about everywhere. Personally, I think he was not looking at the ball when he bumped him and then turned around to look at the ball and that's why I think it was a PI. But the offensive PI's that the Raiders got away with during the game were ridiculous.

That is my reaction as well, that play was clearly PI on Lewis. But you are going to get a fan reaction when you allow a ton of contact all game and then make that call late in the game.

Ren

Reaction score
Had me thinking typically cowboys way to lose, then Carr went "hold my beer" and showed us Raider football at its finest. Finally a team even more snake bitten the us

Bizwah

Reaction score
You do that and defenses trash players routinely past the 15 yard line when they're beaten or it's close or there's more than 15 yards to go. It takes the big play away from the end of halves and games.
I understand that.

But I don't think a team should get a 50 yard penalty on a judgement call.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand that.

But I don't think a team should get a 50 yard penalty on a judgement call.

I agree with that, too. It's a tough one to straddle. Either way you go, somebody potentially gets taken advantage of.

Lewis just needed to keep his head around the whole way and he would have probably been ok.

Bizwah

Reaction score
It was the correct call being PI.

Rookie mistake by Lewis.

That being said, it sucks because the ball had no chance and it was just a prayer thrown up by Carr.

Thank god it didn’t cost the cowboys the game.
You are right.

Definitely a PI. No question. If Lewis was a vet like Sherman, he probably gets the no-call. As a matter of fact, Sherman and Julio Jones were in a similar position last year.

I think with two established vets, officials tend to let it play out.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The basis is that it's impossible to run at full speed trying to cover a WR and be able to stop without making contact if the WR stops. The WR should not have the right to go back through the DB to get to an underthrown ball. I just think the DB should have the right to his current path and momentum. If the ball is underthrown and the WR makes contact with the DB trying to go back for it, it shouldn't be PI.

Yeah, that’s what makes the position tough but hardly impossible.

The corner should be playing the ball not simply playing chase. I know our fans have gotten used to seeing crappy cornerback play over the years with players who couldn’t make a play on the ball to save their life, but there are good corners out there that actually play the ball.

The WR has a right to make a play on the ball regardless of where it’s thrown. Point blank.