News: PJM: For the Cowboys and Dak Prescott, the Metrics No Longer Make a Lick of Sense

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Stephen was totally serious when he declared Dak would be signed to a contract before the start of the season. Both Jerry and Stephen want to be certain to allow Dak to have a last chance at doing better in the playoffs. We'll be likely to see about that in the weeks to come. The last thing they'd want is to be embarrassed again after catering to Dak for the lucrative contract that he'll quite likely receive.

Last edited:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
But since Dak arrived in Dallas, no other team in NFL history has won 12 (or more) regular season games this many times without making — at a minimum — at least one NFC title game.
In the modern NFL, you can make a legitimate argument that teams would be more successful building a roster comprised of B- players paid C+ money than a team of B+ players paid A+ money, because there won’t be nearly enough A+ money for an entire roster.
At this point, the Cowboys’ best option would be to let him walk.
Paying a very good player like he’s the league’s best player depletes your funds and wrecks your depth. It leaves you with a team that — when healthy — is certainly capable of a 12-win regular season, but once it gets to the playoffs, its holes and weak links are just too easy to exploit.
Especially against a clever, tactical head coach, like a Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco.
How ever will we break this analysis to the Dak fanboys?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Well sure you think that it goes against your agenda. Meanwhile Jimmy won a national championship as player and coach, college football hall of Fame. Won two Superbowls as a coach, architect of a championship roster and pro football hall of Fame. But yeah I am sure he doesn't know what he is talking about. Fill us in on your football resume. I am sure it is very similar.
The NFL game is significantly different than it was 35 years ago when Johnson was still coaching. He’s a member of the media. His job is to help maintain viewership. Everything he says is directed at getting people’s attention. Just like Cowherd. Lots of media people have issued opinions on Dak’s contract situation. Some similar to Johnson’s sentiments. That doesn’t make them experts on NFL football any more or less than Johnson is.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
:hammer:

So many of us have been saying that exact thing all off season.
Ok, so we let Dak walk.

We now have to eat $40 million on next year's cap for a player no longer with the team and we also have no viable replacement on the roster.

Whats the plan? The draft?

2025 is one of the worst drafts for QBs in some time, you basically got 3 guys that would even remotely be considered day 1 starters and even then they are not considered "elite". You got Deion's boy in Colorado, you got Ewers from my beloved Longhorns, and you got Beck from Georgia.............and with Dak playing this year, we are going to be too low anyways to get one of these guys without mortgaging the future moving up from the 20s to the top 5.

So, again, what is the plan? Lance? He is not ready and making him the starter could lead to a non-playoff season, something Jerry is totally against because he said the most important thing was for the Cowboys to be hanging around the rim. You are not hanging around the rim if you are a lottery team, so Jerry would not be signing off on a possible tank season.

So, whats the plan if we let Dak walk knowing that Lance is not ready and we are going to be picking too low in the draft to get one of the studs? You see, the decision to let Dak walk is not as easy as some make it out to be when you start considering the alternatives.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ok, so we let Dak walk.

We now have to eat $40 million on next year's cap for a player no longer with the team and we also have no viable replacement on the roster.

2025 is one of the worst drafts for QBs in some time, you basically got 3 guys that would even remotely be considered day 1 starters and even then they are not considered "elite". You got Deion's boy in Colorado, you got Ewers from my beloved Longhorns, and you got Beck from Georgia.............and with Dak playing this year, we are going to be too low anyways to get one of these guys without mortgaging the future moving up from the 20s to the top 5.

So, again, what is the plan? Lance? He is not ready and making him the starter could lead to a non-playoff season, something Jerry is totally against because he said the most important thing was for the Cowboys to be hanging around the rim. You are not hanging around the rim if you are a lottery team, so Jerry would not be signing off on a possible tank season.

So, whats the plan if we let Dak walk knowing that Lance is not ready and we are going to be picking too low in the draft to get one of the studs? You see, the decision to let Dak walk is not as easy as some make it out to be when you start considering the alternatives.
They don't have a plan. They just don't want to see Dak here anymore because of DDS.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There are two fallacies in this argument...1) B- players are not going to accept C+ salaries, 2) JJ has c already proven over the years he is not going to invest the money saved to build a stronger roster. Every year we had gaps whether it was at WR, RB, DT, Ol, LB, and/or DB, JJ chose to ride with the lower talent we had than to go invest in FA... this was true when we had Romo on cheap contracts and it was true when we had Dak on a cheap contract.
Yep, first thing I thought about was "why are B players going to sign for C salaries"???

Did Tony Pollard take a C salary to stay with the Cowboys or did he go get B money with the Titans?

This is a huge logical fallicy that the entire article is based upon, there is no empirical evidence to prove his theory of players taking less money to stay with the Cowboys.

Qcard

Reaction score
Ok, so we let Dak walk.

Basically Dak Hate is so vital some fans would pay the next QB1 Market Value for decent starter QB $25M - $35M plus Prescott's $40M in dead money...on the "Cap".

I just gave the next QB his excuse

Starting QB 2025 will be a $65M - $70M in Cap if Prescott leaves.... :lmao2: :lmao2:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Basically Dak Hate is so vital some fans would pay the next QB1 Market Value for decent starter QB $25M - $35M plus Prescott's $40M in dead money...on the "Cap".

I just gave the next QB his excuse

Starting QB 2025 will be a $65M - $70M in Cap if Prescott leaves.... :lmao2: :lmao2:
That is an excellent point................whatever the cap hit is for the QB next year if Dak leaves, you have to add the additional $40 million to that since that is the dead money that would accelerate from all the restructures and void years in Dak's current contract.

So yea, lets say you sign a mid level QB in free agency to be a stop gap QB until you find a guy, that is going to run you around $30 million for anybody decent. Add Dak's $40 to that and you are sitting at $70 million cap charge for QB1 in 2025.

Again, let me be crystal clear, I am not opposed to moving on from Dak, but there needs to be a viable plan in place considering the financial implications as well as the viability of the replacement before such a decision is made.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
So, and you think it'll be different with Dak's next contract? We'll be in the exact same position 5 years from now.

At some point we will pay for Jerry's awesome negotiating skills and I'd rather pay for it now. Simply because this team has proven it can win repeatedly with a QB like Rush and Dak hasn't gotten us anywhere in the play offs.

So with or without Dak, the outcome would be the same. Less stat padding wins, more close games maybe. But still making the playoffs and then leaving early.

Let Dak play out his contract, develop Lance into someone who can hold the fort and start drafting QBs high.

I don't need "THE PLAN" right now lol. That's a nonsense message from Dak fans. Jerry steered this ship without a map for almost 30 years now, including 8 Dak years. And all of a sudden Dak fans want a plan once there is a probability he's close to leaving? Funny. Jerry kept pushing the problems with Daks contract(s) forward and even adding more over the years (NTC), at some point it'll be judgement day.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So, and you think it'll be different with Dak's next contract? We'll be in the exact same position 5 years from now.

At some point we will pay for Jerry's awesome negotiating skills and I'd rather pay for it now. Simply because this team has proven it can win repeatedly with a QB like Rush and Dak hasn't gotten us anywhere in the play offs.

So with or without Dak, the outcome would be the same. Less stat padding wins, more close games maybe. But still making the playoffs and then leaving early.

Let Dak play out his contract, develop Lance into someone who can hold the fort and start drafting QBs high.

I don't need "THE PLAN" right now lol. That's a nonsense message from Dak fans. Jerry steered this ship without a map for almost 30 years now, including 8 Dak years. And all of a sudden Dak fans want a plan once there is a probability he's close to leaving? Funny. Jerry kept pushing the problems with Daks contract(s) forward and even adding more over the years (NTC), at some point it'll be judgement day.
You always need a plan.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"..................Benjamin Franklin

Qcard

Reaction score
That is an excellent point................whatever the cap hit is for the QB next year if Dak leaves, you have to add the additional $40 million to that since that is the dead money that would accelerate from all the restructures and void years in Dak's current contract.

So yea, lets say you sign a mid level QB in free agency to be a stop gap QB until you find a guy, that is going to run you around $30 million for anybody decent. Add Dak's $40 to that and you are sitting at $70 million cap charge for QB1 in 2025.

Again, let me be crystal clear, I am not opposed to moving on from Dak, but there needs to be a viable plan in place considering the financial implications as well as the viability of the replacement before such a decision is made.
We are not dealing with a savvy bunch in this bushel...

Remember most of the "Free Dak" fans were shocked when Prescott and Cowboys reworked his deal and added a $40M Cap hit to voidable year 2025.

I lived through the Dave Campo years...I will hold onto Prescott until another QB proves they can earn a starting job....25% in the Red zone in the preseason aint't it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

So go years without reaching the playoffs just to appease hurt feelings? That's the plan? Yuck.

Hard Pass

Qcard

Reaction score
I doubt Dak was THE PLAN when Romo was done. A 4th round pick? They just got lucky.
The Joneses had NO clue who Prescott was until the Team Captains led the mutiny.....Prescott might as well have been Trey Lance :lmao:

In all seriousness just look at the QBs Jerry Jones has scouted personally.....Manziel and Paxton Lynch and Quincy Carter ( call a spade a spade).

Romo and Prescott got here through QB coaches reaching out to collegiate buddies that "alerted" the Cowboys scouts.....Cowboy Scouts team didn't find either....:facepalm:

Nav22

Reaction score
Lmao, you seem shocked. I don't think people realize there's not many "great qbs" in the league....and none of them are in the nfc either
What the hell are you talking about? Shocked by what?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
So go years without reaching the playoffs just to appease hurt feelings? That's the plan? Yuck.

Hard Pass
Well that's your scared arse talking. I wouldn't even classify that as your Dak fandom speaking.

I guess it's always scary to go into a season with an unproven QB, even if he was your plan. Or plan B. I wonder what the 49ers message boards were saying before Purdy proved himself?

This team wouldn't miss the playoffs for years to come if it stayed this way minus Dak.

And to be honest, what's there for us to lose? Even if we do suck for a season or two. The last time that happened we won some big titles a little bit later. It's the neverending mediocrity that keeps us from winning anything meaningful.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate the narrative that he loses in the playoffs..

He's lost every single difficult game.
for the past three seasons. He's had the luxury of a defense that allows under 20 points a game and has led the NFL in scoring. The luxury of a defense that delivers turnovers with great field position for him.
He's has had stout OLs, some of the best weapons at receiver, top TEs, and some of the best minds in the NFL constantly designing plays to get people open early. Pollard pre injury who could take it to the house from anywhere.

This year will be different, we'll go .500 in division at best and the rest of the schedule could be worse.
Dak should come to the realization soon he needs to seek a trade to a place who will give him a multi year deal NOW before he attempts to play here this season. When he preforms badly the fans will boo, the team will turn on him as well, and his value will plummet.