News: PJM: For the Cowboys and Dak Prescott, the Metrics No Longer Make a Lick of Sense

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's the plan if we SIGN Dak for 5 more years? What moves could we conceivably make to turn this team into a champion ? We are going to have an enormous chunk of the cap tied up in 3 guys.....who are already on the team. Who or what will be the additional improvements to take this team to the next level ?
The same thing that they always do. They rely on McClay and the scouts to be magicians that hit on every draft pick to bail out their atrocious cap management.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s the spin here?

Jimmy was asked a Dak related question and answered it without literally and straightforwardly saying it. He put it into a surrounding context of referring to a group of players instead of singling him out.

But the implication is quite clear: he thinks Dak is a good QB not a great one but is asking to be paid like he is a great one.
His answer was crystal clear.

If someone can’t see that, it’s because they’re being willfully ignorant and refusing to see it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't have a plan. They just don't want to see Dak here anymore because of DDS.
So you think it would make a difference to this team if..."they"...had a plan.

Cowboys team does....you just don't like it.

DDS? You mean like wanting years of losing so you can be right about your dak fantasies?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
$30M a year. Anything more is too high. I don't care what he think he deserves. His track record is well established.

Put a clause in his new deal that he gets a new deal when he actually accomplishes something in January.
Might as well put that clause in every other player's contract as well since everyone knows it takes a team to win in the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$30M a year. Anything more is too high. I don't care what he think he deserves. His track record is well established.

Put a clause in his new deal that he gets a new deal when he actually accomplishes something in January.
The other thing that bothers me is his two-faced look. He talks about ‘team’ all the time, but when it comes to ‘his money’, he’s out for every dime that he can get. There’s no regard for having enough, or how his salary demands inevitably affect his teammates.

The only things that he and his agent care about are his salary numbers going up and up and up.

I’m done with that.

He can go and get paid NOT to win big games somewhere else.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The other thing that bothers me is his two-faced look. He talks about ‘team’ all the time, but when it comes to ‘his money’, he’s out for every dime that he can get. There’s no regard for having enough, or how his salary demands inevitably affect his teammates.

The only thing that he and his agent care about is his salary numbers going up and up and up.

I’m done with that.

He can go and get paid NOT to win big games somewhere else.
Agreed. Problem now is they (players on this team) are all doing that now.

Flamma

Reaction score
With or without Dak, this team isn’t sniffing an NFCG appearance. The Joneses don’t know how to build a championship team, they just pay the flashy players to market The franchise. It would be another mistake paying a good QB market setting money but it won’t make a difference in the end if he is extended or not…unfortunately.
Sadly, this is true. I just think they are more unwilling to use the route the Eagles, 49ers, and Rams use to get to SBs over ignorance. They used to do it. That's how they got T.O., Haley, Deion. But they also made a lot of bad moves too. But instead of learning from their mistakes, they choose to no longer participate.

Back to your post. Considering these circumstances, the Cowboys probably need no less than an elite, future HOF QB to give us any chance at getting to a SB.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
some of the best minds in the NFL constantly designing plays to get people open early.............have to disagree with this one.
The rest I agree with except how they/he do this season. You just never know.
Watch CeeDee running a 2 yd drag route and then have 15 yds of open field because they've run off the other defenders. Watch Pollard run the wheel and have a 4 yd pass go to the house because defenders are cleared out. Keep in mind the simplest route they cannot run, being when CBs are 10-13 yds off a WR the quick out/slant Dak will not throw. because IF HES OFF TARGET it goes the other way. The TE beats a LB and runs for 15yds why? Play design .
I had my issues with KM but he keeps getting hired for a reason.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

But since Dak arrived in Dallas, no other team in NFL history has won 12 (or more) regular season games this many times without making — at a minimum — at least one NFC title game.
In the modern NFL, you can make a legitimate argument that teams would be more successful building a roster comprised of B- players paid C+ money than a team of B+ players paid A+ money, because there won’t be nearly enough A+ money for an entire roster.
At this point, the Cowboys’ best option would be to let him walk.
Paying a very good player like he’s the league’s best player depletes your funds and wrecks your depth. It leaves you with a team that — when healthy — is certainly capable of a 12-win regular season, but once it gets to the playoffs, its holes and weak links are just too easy to exploit.
Especially against a clever, tactical head coach, like a Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco.
ok, so someone who has no notion of how to manage a cap and the math overwhelming them makes and idiotic statement. this very statement was said 4 years ago. pay him 40M which was tops in the league back then and you are handicapped. yet, his first year salary cap hit was 17M, second year 19M and 3rd year 23M...of course last year of contract is 59M, which is exactly what happens to every other team handing out large contracts. oh, btw, the first year we had 10M left on the cap (jerry didn't spend it), second year we had 15M and that was with cutting Cooper, who had just gotten a super size contract the year before and last year we had 10M on the cap.

if somebody know how to manage the cap, then there is no issue. every team does it. every team has multiple stars. every team hands out large contracts and every team manages. some better than others.

and show me team comprised of B- players, being paid C+ money and winning anything? and something that's A+ today is B- and C+ 4 years from now...that's how salary cap, salaries, NFL markets work.

Disclaimer: this by no means is a statement in supporting Dallas signing Dak or advocating for us to resign Dak. just that this cap doom and gloom stuff is idiotic.

Sydla

Reaction score

But since Dak arrived in Dallas, no other team in NFL history has won 12 (or more) regular season games this many times without making — at a minimum — at least one NFC title game.
In the modern NFL, you can make a legitimate argument that teams would be more successful building a roster comprised of B- players paid C+ money than a team of B+ players paid A+ money, because there won’t be nearly enough A+ money for an entire roster.
At this point, the Cowboys’ best option would be to let him walk.
Paying a very good player like he’s the league’s best player depletes your funds and wrecks your depth. It leaves you with a team that — when healthy — is certainly capable of a 12-win regular season, but once it gets to the playoffs, its holes and weak links are just too easy to exploit.
Especially against a clever, tactical head coach, like a Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco.
Should have went to him in March to see if he could find a trade he liked and blew this team up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should have went to him in March to see if he could find a trade he liked and blew this team up.
Minnesota needs a quarterback.

Trouble is, they’re not a contender anyway, so I don’t think they’d pony up the draft capital.

Worse yet, I think the league’s worst negotiator gave Dak a no-trade clause along with everything else.

burdettes.png

Dools29

Reaction score
Jerry went out and got amari JUST fir dak. kept zeke. Some serious money.
Amari was on his rookie deal and they traded/dumped his salary shortly after. Zeke was drafted by the cowboys and was always going to get his money, albeit they way overpaid.