Players Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2017

RS12

Reaction score
Voila_Capture-2017-04-18_04-48-25_PM.jpg

What do you think, brosephs? You ready for some NFL Draft Philly style?
Probably rain or snow.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Cowboys add corner, defensive ends on final days of draft visits

10:55 AM ET
  • Todd Archer
  • ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Wednesday is the final day teams can host top-30 visitors for next week’s draft. The Dallas Cowboys are doing their best to get their last looks in.

While not on the team’s initial list of visitors, Michigan State defensive lineman Malik McDowell, Alabama cornerback Marlon Humphrey and Youngstown State defensive end Derek Rivers were late additions, according to sources.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cow...-defensive-ends-on-final-days-of-draft-visits

Sydla

Reaction score
What's the knock on Humphrey? I've seen some reports saying some teams have soured on him.

RS12

Reaction score
LOL. Like USC skill position players.
I think Sam Darnold will be the exception to that rule, looks like the real deal to me. Anticipation of when receivers come open and making the throw at the precise time is as good as it gets.

Plankton

Reaction score
What's the knock on Humphrey? I've seen some reports saying some teams have soured on him.

Struggles playing the deep ball. Physical player, big time hitter as a corner, but doesn't track the ball well deep.

reddyuta

Reaction score

• Todd Archer
  • ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Wednesday is the final day teams can host top-30 visitors for next week’s draft. The Dallas Cowboys are doing their best to get their last looks in.

While not on the team’s initial list of visitors, Michigan State defensive lineman Malik McDowell, Alabama cornerback Marlon Humphrey and Youngstown State defensive end Derek Rivers were late additions, according to sources.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cow...-defensive-ends-on-final-days-of-draft-visits
I like Hall more than Rivers.Hall is really underrated playing opposite Garrett.I see similarities to Danielle Hunter.

tm1119

Reaction score
Really like that we brought in both Humphrey and Rivers. Was curious as to why we brought in damn near every other CB and DE besides them. If they ended being the picks and 28 and 60 I'd be happy

AzorAhai

Reaction score

• Todd Archer
  • ESPN Staff Writer

And that makes 30

Alexander

Reaction score
From Tony Pauline:
Several teams are concerned that Alabama cornerback Marlon Humphrey is too much of a straight-line defender and can only play in limited schemes. They compare Humphrey’s playing style to former Tide cornerback Dee Milliner, who was selected by the New York Jets with the ninth pick of the 2013 draft.

Alexander

Reaction score
And that makes 30

I thought for certain they would balance out the last few with someone offensive, like an OL or something.

Exactly 2/30 are defenders, nearly all DL or DB.

I get we need that, but it would have been nice to been a little more well rounded. Just hope they did their side homework on players that didn't play DL or in the backfield, because we didn't get them up front and personal with the decision makers.

Sydla

Reaction score
I thought for certain they would balance out the last few with someone offensive, like an OL or something.

I get we need that, but it would have been nice to been a little more well rounded. Just hope they did their side homework on players that didn't play DL or in the backfield, because we didn't get them up front and personal with the decision makers.

It simply could because the depth at DB and DL in this draft is much better than most other positions and given their needs, they did far more due diligence on those positions than others. Last year, only two of our picks were official visitors - Prescott and Elliott. In 2015, it was heavier with 6 guys drafted on our official list - Gregory, Russell, Green, Jones, Nzeocha, Wilson. In 2014, only 3 were official visitors.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

I think they see the importance of getting those right with how glaring they are. They've met with and talked to plenty of other positions at the combine, pro days, etc. What it does say though, is we can definitely expect to see a CB, DE and probably a Safety drafted at some point in this draft which could end up bad if they are dead set on getting one.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

Not that I buy this for a second but here it is regardless.

Now this I like seeing. I'm a fan of his and where he should go lines up perfectly with where the Cowboys might consider something other than DE or DB.

Alexander

Reaction score
It simply could because the depth at DB and DL in this draft is much better than most other positions and given their needs, they did far more due diligence on those positions than others. Last year, only two of our picks were official visitors - Prescott and Elliott. In 2015, it was heavier with 6 guys drafted on our official list - Gregory, Russell, Green, Jones, Nzeocha, Wilson. In 2014, only 3 were official visitors.
The depth is good at both and I am sure they want to get it right. But if they did not do their due diligence, it will be hard to talk some coaches into buying into a player they did not have much face time with. It is not just going off the official list, but last season you did hear more about coaches making trips to work out players and it did impact things (i.e. Prescott, the whole staff going to Ohio State). There just did not appear to be as much of that this year. Perhaps it is more secretive than usual, who knows. I just would like to hope that if some player we never paid much attention to falls in our laps and we don't have a unified picture of what he is other than from the scouts. We have seen that before and it leads to a little conflict.

Alexander

Reaction score

Now this I like seeing. I'm a fan of his and where he should go lines up perfectly with where the Cowboys might consider something other than DE or DB.

I like the idea, but where exactly is the confirmation of interest? Sounds like it is a list of late round prospects the writer seems to like. I guess we could have got with him while at OU about Basham.

Sydla

Reaction score
The depth is good at both and I am sure they want to get it right. But if they did not do their due diligence, it will be hard to talk some coaches into buying into a player they did not have much face time with. It is not just going off the official list, but last season you did hear more about coaches making trips to work out players and it did impact things (i.e. Prescott, the whole staff going to Ohio State). There just did not appear to be as much of that this year. Perhaps it is more secretive than usual, who knows. I just would like to hope that if some player we never paid much attention to falls in our laps and we don't have a unified picture of what he is other than from the scouts. We have seen that before and it leads to a little conflict.

Did we work out Collins and Tapper last year? Did we visit Nebraska and OU workouts?

I ask because I don't know.

Alexander

Reaction score
Did we work out Collins and Tapper last year? Did we visit Nebraska and OU workouts?

I ask because I don't know.
We did have coaches and scouts at Oklahoma. Plus Tapper was at the Senior Bowl, where we had the entire coaching staff there.

Not sure about Nebraska.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Humphrey has given up an absurd 19 yards per completion.for a guy with speed that's mind boggling.I can see why teams may want him to play safety.