Twitter: Players speaking out on coaching "Totally unprepared, etc"

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the end of the day the head coach is still an upgrade. This organization gave Garrett 13 years of on the job training and had nothing to show for it. He never adapted his offense to the modern day and it still shows from his unit in New York.

I can’t tell if you’re trolling because it’s pretty obvious the issues this team consistently had under Garrett when the roster wasn’t injury devastated.

I’m having fun rubbing it in, but I’m definitely not trolling. In fact I think it’s insane that you could watch what’s gone on the first six weeks of this season and think we’ve upgraded our HC position after the game-losing play calls, the disorganized defensive and ST units, the general poor execution and low quality of play on the field and, now, after just 6 games, the reports that players are openly blaming coaching for the issues.

There’s no rational defense for believing what you’re suggesting right now. Maybe that changes with time, I don’t know. But six weeks is a reasonable sample and nobody can say with a straight face that this team has gotten better under this new staff.

Haimerej

Reaction score
You are glad some cowardly weasels are calling them out in the media instead of dealing with it within the team? There are ways to do things ands this is not it.

This is how bad teams stay relevant. Everybody loves dirty laundry.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
I have to agree with the players, the defense is mostly in tact, and I can argue better talent at the D line.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
McCarthy and his staff are probably realizing how dumb these players are right now and have much more work to do than they thought. We ran a 1990s scheme under Garrett and Marinelli with basic responsibilities that put us behind the good teams in the league. The new coaches are trying to do something a little more complex and the players are all so confused and lost because they lack basic football IQ.

It's the dumb student who should have flunked but was a favorite of his old teachers so they passed him. Then when he gets to his new teachers the next year, they realize this kid can't even read or write. Then the kid blames the new teachers because they're not doing enough to teach him :laugh:
Then due to "social" outcries, they force the teachers to dumb down their lessons so as not to fail the kid.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was.

It is also now.

The biggest issue is the culture Jerry has created. It's just silly to pretend Garrett was a good HC. At this point, you're just like the Jones family. Just wanting to be right and not dealing in reality.

With every week that’s gone by, it’s become more and more apparent that I was right. You and I both know it, even if I’m the only one who will admit it.

You guys can dig in and protest, because what else can you do? The alternative is unthinkable. But we both know, deep down, what’s what.

The tears and protests just make the lap-dancing more fun for me. I’m making eye-contact over here.

Cmac

Reaction score
Can't get rid of all the players....MM, I'd watch my back every time Kellen Moore is in the room.....Bye Nolan. ST Coach should start taking pictures of JJ in compromising situations.

Bluestang

Reaction score
The smart people told everyone on this board that swapping out the coaches wasn’t the problem. It’s the way this org is run, the players and coaches chg every few years but the results remain the same. The org is filled with nepotism and putting people any real qualifications in positions of importance.

My avatar says it all and I’m laughing hysterically that the idiots that run this team thought McCarthy would change things.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With every week that’s gone by, it’s become more and more apparent that I was right. You and I both know it, even if I’m the only one who will admit it.

You guys can dig in and protest, because what else can you do? The alternative is unthinkable. But we both know, deep down, what’s what.

The tears and protests just make the lap-dancing more fun for me. I’m making eye-contact over here.
It's hard to undo Garrett suckiness in 5 weeks. It takes time to exorcise the demons.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Reasons. Reasons why players or coaches aren't hired by any other teams but Dallas. Pathetic. I have NO answers to this forest fire.

Haimerej

Reaction score
That teaching thing sticks out. Garrett is known to be, "a great teacher."

"I've known about Jason for a long time... There were guys I worked with that I came across in my career at both Alabama and at the New England Patriots that worked with Jason through their time in Miami with him. They consistently all reflected on how smart he is, how great a teacher he is and how his perspective of the game was through a different lens than most coaches. And when he sees it, he's able to communicate it and paint that mental image to the players."

"As much as playcalls and codewords and audible signals, the coaches also spend a good deal of energy specifically teaching the context of those things."

Marinelli, too.

"He’s a heck of a teacher, makes you become a student of the game and a master of your craft."

"Marinelli loves to teach players"

Eberflus as well.

"He's an excellent teacher, he challenges the players, he brings the most out in them."

Through the years these were just part of a few things the coaching staff could hang their hat on. I distinctly remember an article (couldn't find it) where they talked about their ability to teach informing their player acquisition. Think it was as regards Irving, IIRC. Point is, the former staff liked (or didn't shy away from) gifted athletes who were maybe a little raw because they thought they could teach them.

I took all that stuff at face value, especially considering most of the praise came from other coaches. That's part of the reason I was so critical of players. They weren't doing anything really complicated yet guys would still find themselves out of position.

Reactions: BAT